Unlimited access >

Mobility Scooters -- Do You Have One?

I don’t, and we are no longer on speaking terms otherwise I’d ask her. Sorry!

My guess is the cheapest 4 wheel model since provincial disability assistance paid for it. They wanted to get her a 3 wheel one that would be able to go on public transit, but when she test drove one, she hit a dip and the thing tipped over, so she was able to make a case with the ministry to get the 4 wheel for safety reasons.

1 Like

That is great! I’m glad you were able to do that.
A friend of mine has a 4-wheel Pride. The salesman who delivered it told her she could ride it down the mountain and through town to the grocery store and back but so far she only uses it around the apartment building. I know if it were mine I’d be running the battery down cruising the neighborhood and taking it up to top speed on level stretches (we’re on a very quiet country road).
Thanks for replying about your scooter adventures!

Sorry y’all aren’t speaking. But I’m glad to know more details about the 3- vs 4-wheel scooters. I was looking at 3-wheelers until a couple of people told me to go with 4 for safety.

Right now I’m making do pretty well with my new 4-wheel rollator walker that lets me get out and about for walks in this lovely fall weather. I still want a scooter but they’re still out of my price range!

1 Like

I rode it around the neighborhood several times when I wasn’t able to ride my trike. There is a path that goes along a bluff overlooking wetlands that I just love. I don’t take my trike on it because it’s a little too hilly for the heavy trike and my battered legs. My trike is all me-powered, no electric assist. But it does have seven gears, which helps some.

Rebecca

1 Like

I bought my 92yo Mom a scooter this fall. Well, she did…I ordered it, she paid for it. We ended up with a Golden Technologies Buzzaround. We had to have the ground clearance due to the curbs and speed bumps in our little community. We tried a Pride and there is no way I could load the heaviest part in the car. I have a bunch of infirmities too :stuck_out_tongue:. The Buzzaround…just pick up the front and set the front wheels on the car (hatchback) then pick up the back and roll it in. One never has to deadlift any one piece. She is pretty happy with it. Unfortunately…winter. It is probably parked until Spring although after Christmas we might go to the mall for me to walk and she can come too.

1 Like

Oh, cool! It has headlights! I’m glad you found something that will work for your mom.

I haven’t had mine out because I can’t get over the sheets of ice in our alleys. I finally got my trike out today, but it was a bit touch and go in a couple of places. DH was standing by to give me a push if I got stuck, since I can’t get off the trike onto ice without damaging myself. My neighbor said he expected me to be doing donuts in the alley today. I have a lot more tread on the trike tires than I do on the scooter wheels.

Rebecca

1 Like

This looks like the sort of scooter I hope to get someday. My neighbor’s Pride looks like a big Harley to me, but she cannot transport it in her car and I’m not even sure it would go on the local buses.

Now I seriously want a trike. I have been doing wheelies with my rollator and I want something I can ride and do them!
(LOL not really)

I am so glad I bought the trike. I had a bad bike crash on my two wheeler right before Christmas 2018 due to vertigo, and I thought I was done biking. I was not only pretty badly injured, but I was depressed at the thought of giving it up.

I bought the trike on Amazon and my poor husband spent days putting it together, out in the garage with unusually cold temperatures for South Carolina. The instructions were crap, but he figured it out. It took a lot of cussing.

It malfunctions often, and I couldn’t have it without having my very own bike mechanic in my house. I wanted a Schwinn, which is a much better trike, but could not find one with seven gears. He’s replaced bearings several times, went with a different set of tires due to constant flats, and generally keeps it from falling apart. It’s rare that I can’t ride due to a mechanical problem because he is so proactive. Now, if all this ice would just go away.

Rebecca

1 Like

I hope the ice will go away.
It must be wonderful having a live-in mechanic! I think I learned how to change a front tire at college (not Tire Changing 101 ! lol) but I could never figure out the rear tire with even 3 gears.

Your mention of a Schwinn reminded me of the Christmas when practically every kid in my neighborhood got a bicycle – blue for the girls, red for the boys … except for one girl who got a Schwinn. That was a lovely thing.

1 Like

I used to change my own tires and do a lot of my own maintenance. I had to be able to as I frequently rode 50 to 60 miles while DH was playing golf. This was before cell phones, too. Sadly, those days are far behind me.

I’m trying to think if I ever had a Schwinn when I was a kid. I don’t think so. It was definitely the bike of choice in my neighborhood.

Rebecca

1 Like

There was something about Schwinn tires that were different from some other tires, when I was in college in the early '70s. Were they radials? I don’t remember. I just remember driving all over the county one day with a friend who was having as much trouble finding tires for his Schwinn as I was having finding balloon tires for my ancient … whatever make my little blue second-hand bike was (not the same one I got that childhood Christmas).

1 Like