Unlimited access >

Moldy Feed Warning

That shouldn’t matter. They have bags of cat and dog food, and then all the other bagged things - chicken feed, seeds, and more.

Number of stores shouldn’t matter . It’s a culture from the top down that waste doesn’t matter

What do they say?

That’s true. Beyond a taste test, horses don’t care of protein comes from soy or peas. Their body cares whether they are getting enough quality protein (so not just protein, but usable amino acids).

Every feed has to have a GA for a set number of required nutrients. There are allowances for each of those, smaller or larger depending on whether it’s a macro or trace nutrient (gm vs mg), and how sensitive general tests are for that nutrient. Some companies add a few to a lot more nutrients to their GA. Some are somehow getting away with not listing a few of them - IME that’s low end, locally milled stuff

They aren’t wrong, necessarily. Purina has “least cost” ingredients in a lot of their feeds, which is not the same thing as choosing different ingredients on a regular basis just for cost. It’s cheaper to have a tag that said “grain products” if your choice of grains varies drastically from one part of the country to another, and to bring the quality oats (for example) 3000 miles away just to keep the same ingredients would raise the cost too much. So, the same tag can be used in different areas. Even then, I have seen 2 different tags for Strategy from different parts of the country

Quality companies test all their main ingredients for aflatoxins, mold (for corn usually), and even nutritional content. Fixed ingredient, but not fixed formula feeds will then adjust the added nutrients to meet the same GA, based on the analyses of the main ingredients.

Fixed formula feeds which still meet the GA use main ingredients that have a tighter set of parameters for variances. Triple Crown is one, and there are some others that I don’t remember. Seminole may be one, not sure about Blue Seal.

1 Like

Correct

There may be other reasons, but that’s one of them. TC fairly recently did update their amino acid profiles to be that found in muscle, which resulted in an increase in at least a couple of them. None of that older stock should be on shelves now but it would be one clue to see the date the bag was printed.

Ugh, so I just checked the date code on the Purina Outlast treats I bought from TSC. 1JAN12 . January 12th 2021. I called the 800 number and they said those have a six month shelf life. I bought them October 2nd. So those will be going back for a refund. Even though it’s only $10.

I am tempted to make a flyer that explains how to interpret the date on a Purina bag and leave some of them around the feed area!

2 Likes

Doooo it! LOL They’ll probably take it down but someone might see it and learn.

Some thing I find interesting is that my Triple Crown senior from the feed store has a clear date printed on the bag with the batch number. But the Triple Crown senior that comes from TSC has a cryptic code. To me, this means they are being milled in different locations. I would assume my feed store is getting their product semi-locally. But it makes me wonder how many states away the TSC product travels from and just how long it sits around.

The problem is more likely to be TSC who is notorious for handling / storing/ rotating feed badly.

It is also a month out of date if dated 9/14/ 2021.

Not to say Purina can’t have a problem now and again ( nobody is perfect) but I have bought Purina for decades and never had one issue. I buy it from Purina dealers not TSC.

They could be from a different mill, but the numbers should be the same format. Are you looking at a bag date vs a seal strip date?

I would call TC and ask them who mills and supplies each of your stores. It may be the same mill, but a different distribution channel. Either way, that shouldn’t have any bearing on how long it sits around the store. The store determines how long it’s sitting there, if they are ordering too much, or too early for the amount of time it takes current stock to be sold

That’s a manufacture date, not a “good until” date

Oh. I guess if the climate/ storage is just right it can get moldy pretty quickly.

I bought 3 bags of TC Sr from my local TSC (which I hate to do, but I needed something else there and didn’t want to drive 45 minutes the other way to go to SS), and 1 of those bags had a large corner that was nasty moldy, like white and gray and gross. The manufacture date was only a couple weeks prior, so clearly this bag had gotten wet or something. I’ve seen so many references to people actually seeing pallets of feed sitting out in the rain at their TSC. That’s just ridiculous

1 Like