Unlimited access >

Moore county

Is more county a live hunt or drag?

The hunt roster lists their game as fox, coyote and bobcat.

So I would assume live.

I’m not and why I asked because this was on their web site under the our hounds:

“Drag scenting for a live pack can be challenging, but the Moore County Hounds have proven their ability to run strong and true. Last year, Lincoln Sadler tweaked the traditional prepared scent with his secret concoction, resulting in a powerful run that resonated with spectators.”

I know they hunt the Moss Foundation and wasn’t sure if that was like hunting in Hitchcock Woods in Aiken were it is only drag. Do they have some fixtures that are live hunting and some that are drag?

Great questions, and I have no answers.

I think hunting a private preserve like Walthour Moss or something like Hitchcock Woods is challenging, live game just doesn’t respect the boundary lines.

I think you’re going to have to text the masters or secretaries for the actual answer.

Having driven through that territory; I suspect the answer is the hunt drag most of the time, and live when the fixture is further out. But that is based on supposition, not fact.

Looking at the pictures on their website, their hounds are lovely.

Are you specifically looking for live hunts or drag? or are either fine, and you’re just looking into what you could expect capping with MCH?

BL: MCH is primarily live. We mostly chase coyotes and gray foxes. The very occasional bobcat. At one location that’s >1hr from home, they’ve treed a bear.

Most of our hunts are in the WMF, and live. The only drag hunt we do is for the formal opening meet. Our blessing of the hounds event draws thousands of spectators, and includes tailgate parties and foodtrucks and an announcer who informs the audience about the history of foxhunting and MCH. We then go do a 30-45 -min drag hunt, and then return to the start point and let the spectators pat the hounds and horses and ask questions. It’s quite the affair. But, they do a drag hunt, so they can be sure we return in time to keep spectators entertained.

3 Likes

Primarily live. I’ve hunted with Lincoln and Cameron (huntsman and MFH), just not at MCH. Lots of hunts do drags for special hunts so that they can plan things better due to the large amount of spectators and followers on the high hunting days.

1 Like