Unlimited access >

More thoughts on "Another bit thread - mare hates NS bits!"

Continuing the discussion from Another bit thread - mare hates NS bits!:

I want to thank you @Critter for starting this thread. Isn’t amazing how horribly sensitive horses are to their bits! Sorry I sort of hijacked it, I accidentally started this new one.

You have gotten me to re-evaluate the bits I use now, particularly the bridoon on my main lesson horse MJ (30 yr. old AQHA gelding who used to be a heavily used lesson horse at another stable.)

Right now as a bridoon I am using the Fager Alicia (sp?), the bridoon equivalent of the Fager Bianca, the snaffle bit I reach for first now to use on a new-to-me horse. It is a titanium 3-piece snaffle with a rather small, thinnish titanium roller on the center link. I put it on the double bridle to encourage MJ to relax and communicate with his tongue. I just wanted him to realize that he could communicate with his tongue wearing a double bridle.

But he really does not completely relax into contact with the bridoon in this set up. To my teacher he LOOKS like he is truly relaxing into good contact but my fingers read the true tale, MJ seems to want a little bit more stability with his bridoon in the double. I had mentally considered every single bridoon I own, titanium or stainless steel, in my mind and I do not get a YES from my mind. (single jointed, double jointed (titanium, stainless steel, copper), mullen mouth (really a non-jointed overcheck bit), and a mullen mouth with a Cambridge mouthpiece/port in stainless steel.

But when I consider the Fager leather bit even with the bigger rings I get a MAYBE from my mind, with a lot of the maybe coming from the idea that I am going to have to concentrate on contact at the beginning until he gets used to a non-jointed snaffle mouthpiece.

Then I can get to work at getting my side of the conversation even more subtle.

Thank you again for this thread. I hope to get MJ so that he reaches out confidently for contact with the bridoon as well as he does with the Fager Victoria titanium Mullen mouth curb.

And now I am considering Fager’s new leather snaffles for riding with just a snaffle bit, too.

1 Like

I didn’t realize Fager was now making a leather bit! I’ve posted before about how much my mare has improved with a change from metal to the Bomber’s rubber bit. I went to Etsy recently to order a Sweet Billy’s leather bit for her jumping bridle, but ended up buying their plaited rope D-ring instead. So far so good, but we will see how it wears over time. Sweet Billy’s is out of Utah, so I’m hoping if the mouthpiece does wear out after awhile, I could send the D-rings back to them and get a new mouthpiece put on.

1 Like

Well, I ordered my leather bit from Fager, the Adam leather fixed ring 125 mm. I am going to try and use it as a bridoon on my double bridle with the Fager Victoria titanium Weymouth, 135 mm. I had originally planned on ordering the loose ring of this bit, but my fingers had another idea that I did not notice until I placed my order. I figured that just maybe my fingers were smarter than my brain here.

I also found a bit I had wanted from Fager on sale! I just could not really afford it earlier (I don’t know if it will work with my hands) but when I found it over 100.00 USD off I just could not resist. It is the Fager Wilma Baucher titanium snaffle. The Wilma is Fager’s answer to the Waterford snaffle. The horse I ride now do not lay on the bit, but there is no guarantee that this will continue forever.

I really like getting myself stuff I really want for my birthday.

I hope that MJ likes the leather bit as a bridoon. If not shrug, I can always use it as a regular snaffle.

1 Like

My body was not being kind to me the past few days, my lower back aches and now an UTI.

I decided to just use the Fagar Adam leather snaffle just on a snaffle bridle, a Micklem Multi-bridle with a pair of soft leather notched reins.

I wore my BOT back brace the first half of my ride. I was afraid that it would affect my balance and my coordination, therefore I did not want to use the double bridle on MJ. My “guestimate” for the bridle was off by 2 holes on each side and MJ was not happy until Debbie lengthened his cheek pieces. Then it was “what is this? This does not feel familiar” to “what in Hades are you doing with your fingers (alternate direct rein for a halt)?” to “what do your mean that I have to LISTEN to this odd thing in my mouth?”. I gave up being fancy and went back to the tried and true two simultaneous direct reins for a halt, which he sort of obeyed as an experiment on his part.

For some of my turning aids, especially to go away from the gate, I had to reinforce my rein aid with my inside upper thigh.

His first turn on the hindquarters? It was simply fabulous, no hesitation, no “are you really sure about this?”, he did not move his hind hooves from their little circle in the back and did a full turn with the greatest of ease.

I will probably do at least one more ride using this bit alone before I try it on the double bridle.

I greatly prefer this leather bit to any of the Mullen Mouth snaffles, even the titanium coated ones I’ve used.

MJ reached out readily for contact, kept his contact with little fuss, and walked around fine. However he was not convinced that he should extend his walking stride at all. He was sort of sluggish, mildly zoned out,

I just have to convince him that I expect the same type of obedience that he gives me when I use a metal bit.