Unlimited access >

Mortality and Major Medical Insurance in Ontario, Canada

Hi folks,

I might be taking the plunge back into horse ownership for the first time in 10+ years and begin searching in earnest later this summer. DH is being great, but wants to see a detailed list of expected monthly expenses (Oh boy – he has lots to learn).

It’s been a long time since I shopped insurance policies, and my previous horses were in California with local companies. I’m in Southern Ontario now. Can anyone recommend good companies to work with in Canada? I saw some positive things about Henry Equestrian in another post, but would like to explore a few options. Alternatively, any recommendations for US companies that also provide coverage in Canada?

Major medical has saved my butt on all three of my horses in the past, so it’s non-negotiable for me. In my opinion, I’ll consider myself thrilled if I shell out for a policy I never end up using.

Thanks in advance!

I use Capri which is located in BC. I’ve had no issues with them and so far on my 7 yr old have had 2 major medical claims each at the $10,000 max ( severed extensor tendon and last year major pyloric ulcers). My vet company does all the paperwork and just hands it in to Capri during the life of the claim and I’ve been refunded with no issues.

I pay about $800 per year for full mortality with $10,000 major medical on a horse insured for $20,000 . Bear in mind that if you value your horse at more than this they require a full vet exam every year before renewal. Also, when I had a horse that we insured for less than $10,000 they still allowed me to have the $10,000 major medical.

capri will also bill you either as a lump sum or you can set up monthly payments.

Intercity and Henry are both good options. I found Intercity to be a little bit more competitive for my needs when I bought a new horse in 2014, and had had previous good experiences with them (about 15 years ago, they paid for what was then fairly new treatment without any fuss).

Thanks eclipse! Good to know about the vet exam requirement for a horse valued over 20K. Do you happen to know off the top of your head if the vet requirement includes yearly x-rays?

Henry’s or BFL.

Capri is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

[QUOTE=eclipse;8713900]
I use Capri which is located in BC. I’ve had no issues with them and so far on my 7 yr old have had 2 major medical claims each at the $10,000 max ( severed extensor tendon and last year major pyloric ulcers). My vet company does all the paperwork and just hands it in to Capri during the life of the claim and I’ve been refunded with no issues.

I pay about $800 per year for full mortality with $10,000 major medical on a horse insured for $20,000 . Bear in mind that if you value your horse at more than this they require a full vet exam every year before renewal. Also, when I had a horse that we insured for less than $10,000 they still allowed me to have the $10,000 major medical.

capri will also bill you either as a lump sum or you can set up monthly payments.[/QUOTE]

I second Capri.

We had two major medical claims on my mare (colic surgery and check ligament injury + shockwave) and we were paid out. Waiting for payout currently as we lost her recently but that is because we are waiting on an appraisal from the coach of the kid that had leased her and she is out of the country!

We have had no issue’s with them at all.

I hated dealing with Capri, and that was just to try and increase value by $1000.

Henry Equestrian was excellent to deal with, and paid out my policy in full when I lost my horse to colic. I didn’t have to do anything besides submit the bill from the vet college & some paperwork.

Capri has been incredibly unethical to work with, both by myself and other’s experiences. Things like demanding thousands of dollars of tests before they’d be allowed to put a horse down, then refusing to cover either the tests or the value of the horse. They refused to pay out another horse because it hadn’t been showing. They aggressively discouraged me from pursuing a claim.

Don’t. Just don’t.

I will add, though, that while everyone at Henry Equestrian is great (and very clear, easy, etc) to deal with, their adjusters at SCM (or at least the one I had) were awful. They got everything done, and I received my payout, but it was a massive hassle. Things as simple as responding to emails took multiple phone calls, emails, and escalating things past my adjuster to her manager. A nightmare when you’re reeling from losing your horse.

My horse is worth very little (obviously not to me, but from a pragmatic point of view), and I have him insured with HEP mostly for the liability. Yes, I also have OEF, but I board at a large schooling barn with kids running the show on the weekends… so I have it as a worst-case-scenario.

That being said, I have actually put in claims for vet care a few times (and thankfully never the liability!).
So far they have been excellent to deal with. All claims have been paid quickly and they have been great with coaching me through the paperwork.

They even are familiar with local vets so when I say “I’m with so & so” they responded with “Oh, that vet ALWAYS puts detailed notes, good - just leave that section blank and attach the vet notes!”.

I assume all insurers are the same, but the one annoying thing is that as soon as I have any claim that body part is generally excluded for the following year. So my horse is currently not covered for a random assortment of body parts. As he’s worth so little and they’ve done such a great job, I just never bothered trying to get a better deal anywhere else.

Welcome to Ontario!

I’m not sure if the yearly exam includes X-rays but I don’t think so. I’ve heard others complain about Capri but as I said I’ve personally never had any issues and when I increases my horses value 2 yrs ago, I could increase by 25% without a vet check, just a note on the form from my trainer stating why the increase (“horse is now showing competively in 1st year pre green and has been in full training for the past year”). Value was increased immediately.

then after my claim last year, I just had to have my trainer say basically the same and I did not increase his value. They’ll also cover for colic again as its been more than a year colic free. I never found that they wanted any weird tests, they spoke directly with the vet and we’re happy with the recommendation from said vet. Also paid for all the gastroguard that I had to have him on

like the post above they are familiar with our vet and said the same thing "oh yes we know so and so well. Just have them send us the monthly report and invoices, they’ll know exactly what we require "

Recently I got quoted the exact same insurances (full mortality plus medical) from both HEP and Intercity. I was quoted $100 less by HEP.

I have had so many issues with HEP - I had a horse insured with them for 8 years with no claims until one small (relatively speaking) vet bill and they were a real PITA to deal with. Mike at Intercity is great - I would always go with him.

As an Equine Appraiser, I deal with insurance companies frequently in regards to death claim reimbursements.

There are several major companies in Canada. A few of them are - Henry Equestrian Plan (HEP), BFL Canada and Capri/Intercity. It should be noted that Capri and Intercity are the same company, with Intercity offering services in Ontario to the east coast and Capri offers service from Manitoba to the west coast. Capri/Intercity also offers reduced rates if you are a member of your Provincial Horse Federation.

Unless you are an American living here in Canada temporarily, it is my understanding you will not be able to get insurance through a U.S. company and must use a Canadian company for insurance.

I have written an article on the ins and outs of equine insurance, as most people are unaware of some of the “small print” on your policies and it is important to understand what it all means.
www.equineappraisers.com/howwelldoyouknowyourpolicy.html

For what it’s worth, I had to personally make a claim with Capri Insurance several years ago after our lovely filly had to be put down due to a small intestinal twist and the company and claims adjuster were excellent to work with and my claim was dealt with quickly and efficiently. That being said, I had detailed records on our filly - photos, video, show record, etc. and had her valued and insured accordingly, which left no room for anyone to question her value or the amount she was insured for…important factors to keep in mind! :wink:

I agree with Daventry… Keep good show records, pictures, have a good vet! It makes dealing with any insurance claim that much easier :slight_smile:

just to add som information: Capri will allow 3 major medical claims per horse every 5 years! My adjuster advised me of that whe. I was asking about claiming for the ulcers . I’m good for one more LOL

Thanks for this! It was a great read, I read it with my policy open beside it and reviewed them together.

Wow everyone – thank you SO MUCH for all your insightful comments and personal experiences. This is great practical information.