Unlimited access >

Most Close Contact Saddles?

I’m looking for a new jump saddle as mine doesn’t fit perfectly, and I’ve fallen in love with Prestige Renaissance. I’ve never felt anything like them, they almost feel like riding bareback as they’re so close contact. Unfortunately, they’re also extremely pricey. I can do it, but it would break the bank and I’d struggle for a while. I’m looking for other options. If anyone has any experience with a very, very close contact saddle that isn’t Renaissance, I’d love to hear it! Thank you all!

I haven’t sat in anything that’s felt like the Renaissance saddle I tried, but Butet looks pretty similar so maybe give that one a try?

Are you open to used? There have been a few Renaissance saddles listed with the major resellers over the last year, and Prestige has a discount section on their website for demo models, etc:

https://www.prestigeitalia.com/us/special-deals/?f_brand=renaissance

When I was shopping through my rep the Renaissance saddles from the previous model year were being sold at a 40% discount, which made them cheaper than the Prestige I ultimately ended up buying. Your rep may be able to keep an eye out for you if you’re flexible on timing.

1 Like

Which Renaissance model did you ride in that you liked?

I haven’t ridden in any Renaissance (wanted to, but couldn’t get a rep out) so can’t compare directly to them. I like my Voltaire Palm Beach (I liked the Calgary even better but they are impossible to find) - it’s my “barely there” saddle. Buyer would be a good option as well.

1 Like

My butet is extremely close contact. Most other saddles I ride in I feel like I have no contact with the horse. I sometimes school my friend’s horse in her CWD, which is one of the comfiest saddles I’ve ever sat in, but it feels SO bulky to me I feel like I’m miles away from the horse.

1 Like

If you’re open to used, Crosby Prix des Nations are available. I have my original PDN that is now 50 years old and is in great shape. I bought a second PDN off eBay a few years ago and once I got it properly oiled and conditioned I use it too. It’s an inch smaller than my OG and fits me a tiny bit better. They are not as wide as the Renaissance looks on the screen, but I ride TBs, so it has never been an issue. And if fact, I did have a foundation QH that was left at my place who was as round as a 50-gallon drum with NO withers, and that PDN is the only thing that didn’t slip on him.

4 Likes

The Renaissance I tried ride exactly like a flat seat Butet or a Beval Solaris to me (my understanding is that they are very similar saddles). The medium deep seat felt like a PJ or Crosby Centennial but it was too small for me to really try it.

Some alternatives worth trying are the Voltaire flat seat model (palm beach maybe?), Tad Coffin, various Berney Bros models. For used the Berney Bros Olympic, older Pessoas, S-W, Crosby etc made in the 90s or early 2000s. Basically what’s been unfashionable for the last 15 years.

1 Like

I tried an Envy monoflap jump saddle this week that I felt was much more of a close contact feel than most of the other saddles I’ve tried recently and they are much more affordable new.

1 Like