Unlimited access >

Most desirable/ saleable: shedrow vs. greenhouse

I think it is very hard to judge just what future buyers will or won’t like about your property. Unless you are moving very soon I would do what makes you happy and enhances your enjoyment of your property. I get that a multipurpose building may appeal to more people, but personally I would prefer that cute little shedrow barn to a hulking metal building if I were your prospective buyer. That goes double if the barn will be the first thing you see on the property and something that is highly visible.

In my area small horses farms are hard to come by and quite valuable. I wouldn’t consider a makeshift barn inside a greenhouse to be a true barn, so if I were your prospective buyer I would want a real barn. I would also personally really love a greenhouse.

3 Likes

First of all, terribly curious: You say you have no riding area. Do you haul out every time you want to ride? Couldn’t one of the paddocks double as a riding area (see this a lot here where land is tight!)

As far as the buildings. Both the greenhouse and the horse stable are specialized buildings that will not appeal to a wide range of buyers. If the main value is in the land, buyers are likely to take either or both down. I dont know if in your area and situation that the greenhouse is in good enough shape that an ongoing growing business will add value.

Is there a middle ground? Could you get an inexpensive prebuilt 2 horse shed? Then clear out most of the greenhouse, saving some for storage. This would be for your own comfort and to free up space in the greenhouse for growing if that is what you want.

If you really are thinking of selling, you might contact a realtor who specializes in rural properties in your area. They could give you the best information on whether the buildings add value or if the buyer is likely to bulldoze everything anyway.

1 Like

Yup! I used to haul out almost every day when I had my FEI dressage mare at home, but now I board my competition horse and only have retirees at home and a driving mini (who I can drive out on the roads).
One of our really large paddocks did double as a place to ride when we first started having horses at home, but it didn’t work too well. We then installed a large roundabout driveway to make hauling in and out with the trailer easier, and hauled out to ride.

I wouldn’t say a lot of value is in the land. Although it’s 5 acres, only about the first 2 are usable/ flat, with the rest being a fairly steep, heavily treed slope. Most of the other properties around us are small hobby farms/ homesteading wannabes. There are a couple of commercial horse facilities in the immediate area, and some smaller places that are sort of setup for horses (most of the private places don’t have arenas either).

Most people around us grow veggies/ raise chickens/ bees, so having a functional greenhouse in this area would add to the desirability of our place I think. A lot of people also seem to have minis or donkeys in our area, and I was thinking that for future buyers, they would probably keep a pony or donkey in the shedrow rather than useful riding horses.

I’ve seen pics of beautiful buildings that currently are used as shedrow horse barns but can be easily converted into two stall Garages! Right now the garage bays are used as stalls but framed so a garage door could be easily installed. I’ll try and find a pic. On a small property this might be more attractive when you sell the property.

Of course I can’t find a pic. You could use the design of the pic you posted (which I love), making sure each stall area is a size that could be converted to a car stall. I think if it fits with your home’s design it might be a real asset.