Unlimited access >

Most desirable/ saleable: shedrow vs. greenhouse

I’m trying to deiced what option would be the most desirable for in the future when/ if we sold our property (if we did sell, it would probably be in the next 2-5 years).

We have 5 acres, but only about 1.5 - 2 are actually usable/ flat and cleared. We’ve kept horses on this property for years in a somewhat unconventional “barn”. We have a 30x60ft greenhouse that we’ve converted into a semi functional barn. It currently has 4 stalls, hay/ bedding storage, a tack room and a feed room. While it serves its purpose, it’s definitely odd and not ideal for horses (the natural light bleaches the hay, and even though the sides roll up and we have fans and a shade cloth it still gets quite hot in the summer and doesn’t have great ventilation).

We have been wondering about putting in a small shedrow as our barn, and then using the “greenhouse barn” as an actual greenhouse. Are shedrows desirable though? We’ve used up most of the usable space on our property already, so we’d only be able to put in a 2 stall shedrow with hay/ tack storage (which is big enough for our current needs).

Our property isn’t really designed for horses, but we’ve made it work. We have 3 (very large) gravel paddocks and one seasonal grass paddock. We have no riding arena or round pen (so when we do sell, we couldn’t really advertise our place as a true horse property), but there are arenas available to ride in 2 mins away and tons of trails about a 5-10 trailer ride away.

We could put in the shedrow for about 10k. We already have a small cut flower business, so the greenhouse would certainly be utilized. Would a small shedrow add any desirability to our property? How about having a large functional greenhouse that has the potential to bring in income?

As the property currently is, I don’t know if a horse person would buy it. It wouldn’t be too hard to take out the paddocks and make it not-horsey. I would like for all of the work that we’ve done to not go to waste though if/ when we did sell (which I know isn’t really in my control). Would having an actual barn/ horse specific area increase the desirability for someone with horses/ other livestock (or would just the 2 stalls make it undesirable)? Or would a horse person most likely not buy a property that didn’t have any riding facilities on it?

In my area, horse properties sell for close to 2million, and decent board with an indoor averages for around 1k/ month. This is why we made our property (which we didn’t buy with horses in mind) work for horses.

tldr: Would having a small (but functional and safe) shedrow in addition to a large and potential income making greenhouse be more desirable than a converted “greenhouse barn”?

Where Iive almost all the cost is the land, horse acreage is going to be several million like you, maybe we are more expensive, but full board is only in the $500 to $700 range in the exurbs, more for a show barn.

Honestly with all the costs being the land, I think people look at location, drainage, size of lot, and house. I think outbuildings are going to run a distant second to the basics and a two horse shed row is not going to either raise or lower the value and desirability of the property compared to the basics. If someone is paying $2 million to $5 million for 5 acres they can afford to build or demolish things themselves.

1 Like

Perhaps if the shed row is one of those that is premade and delivered then at some future point it could be sold and removed? Might not get your full investment back, you could possibly get some if someone were willing to buy and move it; leaving you to reclaim the greenhouse as just that.

2 Likes

I know lots of people who keep horses at home without any kind of arena. Many of them never or rarely ride said horses. Sometimes the horses are just pets/retired. (And in fact I know people who DO have an arena and never ride, including one who has a large, beautiful indoor with fancy footing. :woman_shrugging: ) Personally, I would prefer a shedrow over the strange greenhouse setup. If buying such a property in the current state, I would probably demolish (or sell if possible to remove it) the greenhouse, which I have no need for, and put up some kind of barn anyway. In your position, I would probably put in the shedrow only if you plan to use it yourself for the rest of your time owning the property.

1 Like

and that is what has been going on in our neighbor … all that is kept is the utilities connections and drive cuts in the curb… thus impact fees are avoided

Also, that project $10,000 shed would possibly now be double or more.

My understanding is that in general, sellers rarely get the value they put into horse-specific infrastructure, back out when they sell. Especially for a small non professional type property. To me it actually sounds like the ROI question is whether using the whole greenhouse as a greenhouse will be of financial benefit to you and your cut flower business. I agree with earlier posters that you should only build the shed if it’s worth it to you to enjoy it while you’re there.

1 Like

I think the most desirable buildings are multipurpose ones. Anything with too specific of a use is going to be harder for future buyers to envision as something else, and is less likely to add significant value. I think both greenhouses and shedrows fall into that category.

For a similar price, in many locales you can build a 24x36 shell of a pole barn. You could outfit it with 3 or 4 stalls/storage space, yet a future buyer could easily convert it into a garage, or a shop, or whatever they desire…

2 Likes

My shed row is designed so the stall interiors sides can be taken out taking it from 3 12x12 stalls to one 12x36 building. Many people in my area either use their shed rows for animals or turn it into equipment storage or workshops.

1 Like

I would certainly love to have an actual barn for my horses! While the greenhouse thing works, it is weird and I always feel a bit embarrassed when vets and farriers come. Although we’ve made the greenhouse as nice a “barn” as we can, and vets/ farriers do always say how much they like the amount of natural light that’s in there, I still feel weird when other horse people come to the property and I point to the greenhouse and say “that’s the barn!”.

We would also like to have the greenhouse function as a greenhouse for growing purposes. We could sell a lot more veggies and flowers that way. We are leaning toward having the shedrow built, I believe, but we still need to think about it more.

The way the converted greenhouse-barn is now, do you (general “you”) feel that it would be a turn off? Future buyers could always remove the greenhouse or convert it back into a usable greenhouse themselves, but if they had the choice between two properties (one that didn’t have a giant and currently non-functional greenhouse), they would probable not pick our property.

I have a greenhouse, the cow once stayed there, but ripped it a bit. We made a paddock and have a shedrow now, just 10x20, but big enough. I think you should build what you want, and if you are looking to move, build it tall, so more things can fit. And the judicial use of panels can really make it more versatile.

1 Like

People seem to love our greenhouse. Especially if you make it functional, that will go far toward it being attractive. OF course, I have one, so I may not be the right person…

However, if you do grow flowers, a greenhouse full of flowers and some leafy greens and a tomato plant will certainly not detract from the rest of the property. The fact that it can be a greenhouse or a well-lit Quanset hut can be highlighted if it’s presented right.

1 Like

Speaking as someone who is always being driven insane by the (lack of) good light in most barns, this sounds amazing to me! Though that heat issue is a challenge for sure.

our greenhouse has a swamp cooler that helps a ton with heat, but doesn’t stop the light…

Location is a big factor one what will help a sale and what will hurt a sale.
Since properties are going for such high prices in your area, even if shedrows aren’t popular, it probably wouldn’t hurt a future sale.

But, as someone else said, multi-use buildings offer your best bang for your buck, especially on small acreage that has a high likelihood of a non-horse person buying it should you sell.

A small shedrow with two stalls and tack/hay storage - what dimensions does this mean? Is it possible to do a generic pole barn for the same purpose and use free-standing stalls inside for you stalls and storage areas, which you could remove when you put your house on the market?

I agree. Generic shells with portable or removable stalls. They can be used as garages by car enthusiasts, for other livestock, for hobbies, etc.

1 Like

We’re thinking of having 10x10ft stalls, and for the hay/ tack room to be 10x20 (which is the current size of the area where we keep hay (we get compressed bales)/ bedding/ other stuff). In order for this to fit in the available spot, it would have to be an “L” shape, but I’d still want a large overhang above the stalls. The entire dimensions, including the overhang, would be about 20x30ft.

I found a picture of a shedrow that is similar to what we’d put up, but the style would be a little different. I think I attached the picture correctly:

Let me second (or third or fourth) the multipurpose idea. Large roll-up or sliding doors would be more easily converted into a workshop, garage, whatever, than the narrow stall doors in your photo. I would also consider where this structure is situated on your property. Access to your driveway and proximity to the house would suggest suit more purposes than toward the back of your turnouts.

I think a multifunction building would work for you now AND increase the appeal of your greenhouse when you go to sell. A buyer may very well assume that a greenhouse used as a barn would have sustained some damage.

You may want to consult with a realtor familiar with your area to get their take on what people buying in your area are seeking.

1 Like

Super cute, but, very horse specific, and not really usable for any other purpose. So, if you do sell and aren’t going to market it as a horse property, I wouldn’t do something like this.

But you haven’t really said what your actual plans are around selling. Is this something you’re expecting to do within 2-3 years? Or are you thinking ahead for 10-20 years in the future? If the latter, build what you want and will enjoy for 10-20 years and don’t worry about resale until that time comes.

2 Likes

The spot where we could build the shedrow is right at the front of the property - it would basically be the first visible thing when going up the driveway. Because of this, we’d want it to be cute. Our house is a cute cottage/ farmhouse, and having an industrial building as one of the main focal points would really detract from the look we’ve been going for.

Some future plans/ life events are still up in the air right now, and depending on how those pan out, we might move in the next 2-5 years. If we don’t end up moving then, we probably wouldn’t sell for about another 10+ years. Because of this, every add on/ improvement we’ve done to the property has been done with the idea of making it more desirable to future buyers in addition to being things that we want/ like.

If our property did have that type of shedrow (in addition to the existing horse amenities of the 3 very large gravel paddocks and grass turnout, a multi bin manure composting setup, and a roundabout driveway which makes turning around with a trailer to haul in and out super easy), could it be considered a “horse property” and have that included in the marketing?

Absolutely. And I say this as someone who has spent several years real estate shopping for a horse property.

Basically anything and everything can be (and will be) marketed as a horse property.

But in my experience, shedrow style barns are always advertised as “stables” or “horse barns,” which won’t interest a lot of buyers and may even turn them off. My casual observation after looking at endless properties is that shedrows add almost nothing to the value, not even as a horse property. Something fully enclosed will appeal to a broader base.