Unlimited access >

Most DURABLE custom boots

Thanks everyone for your replies!! And thanks SO MUCH pickupthepace! I am definitely considering Dehner’s now. It was a big relief to see some more modern looking ones :slight_smile:

Do either of your Dehner’s have zippers?

I’ve had my share of both zippers and non zipper boots. I would still choose zipper even with the amount of times I’ve had to have mine replaced. But if it was highly recommended not to get them then I would consider skipping them.

[QUOTE=teagles;7466243]
Do either of your Dehner’s have zippers?

I’ve had my share of both zippers and non zipper boots. I would still choose zipper even with the amount of times I’ve had to have mine replaced. But if it was highly recommended not to get them then I would consider skipping them.[/QUOTE]

Mine have zippers, and they seem pretty heavy duty. I can’t stand non zipper boots… My last pair of Ariats didn’t have zippers and they were miserable to get on and off.

I’m not going to recommend to you either brand or zipper, no zipper.

However, I was measured by someone who only measures a few custom pair a year–terrible disappointment. Boots are now my ill-fitting schooling boots and had to reorder another custom pair.

Please check around for someone who measures hundreds of pairs a year, probably at a big show or the manufacturer’s rep.

some brands make measure yourself kits–a huge mistake. Your rep will be well versed in the correct options, calf, puissance tops etc…

If I knew now…

Dehners & I like their look the best.

“I LOVE the Dehner foot. I really hate boots that look like they have a jazz shoe for the foot, as many do. The Dehner foot looks like it belongs on a boot, not on a ballroom dancer.”

+1

My Dehners do not have zippers (I hate them and is why I bought custom Dehners - couldnt find decent off the rack boots without) and though they are an option Dehner is very reluctant to put them in and will warn you its not if its when they break. Mine were a B**** to get on the first few times but now they have broken in and stretched a little. Its nothing boot pulls cant handle to pull on and a boot jack and holding onto the counter cant handle to take off. My husband used to have to pull my ariats off me…my Dehners are atleast easier than them.

In regards to zippers…the reason they fail is because they get dirty. If you don’t clean out the dust, hay, shavings, etc it eventually gets caught in the zippers and causes them to fail.

When I took my daughter’s boots into get a zipper repair, you should have seen what was caught at the bottom of the zippers.

Turn them upside down and get the stuff out and also wipe them down after use with a damp rag. You’ll be surprised how much longer the zippers last.

Zippers on the tack trunk covers wear out too, and there is no pressure on them. It is just being in a dirty and dusty environment.

My Dehners are 44 years old and my Vogels are 29 years old - not only the maker matters, but the care given to the boots factors into their durability.