Unlimited access >

Most DURABLE custom boots

Help! After an awful 2 1/2 years with Wilson & Davidson custom boots they finally completely fell apart. I mean literally… the toe cap stitching literally all came apart and then the rubber sole came completely unattached from the boot. Unreal. The first step I took in these boots the zipper popped and I sent them back. After getting them back and starting to break them I realized they definitely did not fit so the problems started… W&D wouldn’t take them back because it had been longer then 2 months since I got them the first time. I had to get both calves stretched, zippers replaced 3 times and the toe cap stitching repaired twice.

Now after getting enough time out of them to justify the price I’m finally on the search. I found some I love called Alberto Fasciani that I really want but I’m having trouble finding anyone who has them to get feedback. Also there are no reps in the US so I worry about what the costumer service would be like if I had any problems.
I’m really going to try and not wear them every day but I always say that… I ride 1-5 horses every day. Recommendations please! My lovely mother is willing to buy them for me and spend a couple extra $$ for them to LAST and to have few as possible problems!

Dehner.

Dehner’s are the most durable. I don’t like the way they look that much, but there’s no denying that they’ll last forever and a day.

Dehner and Vogel

I want them to look good too though… I know I know beggars cant be choosers. Does anyone have either Dehner’s/Vogels with the more modern options? both of their websites offer the options like spanish cut/puissance cut and the “yorkshire” ankle (I think a more fitted ankle?) for Dehner’s but neither website have many pictures of examples! My mom has her Dehner’s from forever ago and they have lasted but as already mentioned they aren’t very stylish :frowning:

My Dehners are 45 years old and gorgeous, they don’t look any different than Vogels from what I can see. They are French calf dress boots, simple, classic and elegant. One if the factors in durability is the type of leather used. Domestic is tough and unattractive and will last a life time. baby calf is buttery soft and wears out quickly but is easy to break in. I choose afrench calf which is beautiful and durable. The lining you select will also make a difference. Fully lined will wear the best but they take a little longer to break in. Take a look at the thread about the poorly fitting Vogels before you consider them. Der Dau makes a very pretty boot but I am not familiar with rheir durability.

I have Dehners that I ordered last year. Extra high italian tops with yorkshire ankle. They still aren’t as slim in the ankle as I would like, but are super comfy and look nice. I no longer wear half chaps and paddock boots to school in, because I love them so much. I got them fully lined and they broke in quickly, but are definitely holding up well. I expect that they will last forever! I also measured for them myself.

[QUOTE=pickupthepace;7462059]
I have Dehners that I ordered last year. Extra high italian tops with yorkshire ankle. They still aren’t as slim in the ankle as I would like, but are super comfy and look nice. I no longer wear half chaps and paddock boots to school in, because I love them so much. I got them fully lined and they broke in quickly, but are definitely holding up well. I expect that they will last forever! I also measured for them myself.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had the exact same experience with my Dehners. I get compliments on them all the time. They are classic looking and classic will never go out of style.

[QUOTE=pickupthepace;7462059]
I have Dehners that I ordered last year. Extra high italian tops with yorkshire ankle. They still aren’t as slim in the ankle as I would like, but are super comfy and look nice. I no longer wear half chaps and paddock boots to school in, because I love them so much. I got them fully lined and they broke in quickly, but are definitely holding up well. I expect that they will last forever! I also measured for them myself.[/QUOTE]
Post a picture! :slight_smile:

My Dehner field boots are still beautiful after 35 years. They are a little dated looking, but the leather is beautiful and takes a gorgeous shine. I like the look of the Italian tops and the “Yorkshire” ankle option, and if I were getting a new pair, those are the options I’d choose.

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7462346]
Post a picture! :)[/QUOTE]

Here’s mine. I’ve since had the swagger tabs stitched down.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/wakeNequine/image_zps885e45c2.jpg

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7462346]
Post a picture! :)[/QUOTE]

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/missyr17/IMG_0021_zpsa6e9141b.jpg

Not a great photo, but here they are.

I should also mention that when measuring, if you are getting zippers make sure to shave a little bit off your measurements! I did not know that they make the boots to the measurements you provide and THEN add the zippers. So it adds about 1/4" to the boots. I like it because I can wear thicker socks in the winter, but it is something to keep in mind.

Edit to add: another photo

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/missyr17/IMG_0038_zps5e9b8b07.jpg

I have custom Vogels with zippers. They’re gorgeous!

I have too many pairs of boots, and wear my Ariat Monacos almost exclusively. So I just recently cleaned my Vogels up, took lots of pictures, put them up for sale and after staring at them sitting in my living room for a week I’m thinking that I won’t be too sad if they don’t sell! :lol: (I’m not posting sizes or any other details here so this doesn’t venture into ad territory). I bought the Monacos at the same time as my Vogels and ended up liking the Monacos more, but they’re definitely not in the “tough” camp, and there’s no question that the Vogels are a LOT more durable.

Mine have a slim ankle, Spanish cuffs (though I opted for a moderate Spanish cuff - the ones on pickupthepace’s boots is what you see more often these days), and I don’t think they look like “Ye Olde Vogels” at all. The other thing that I opted out of was the swagger tabs (I was tired of the ones on my pull on boots when I got these), so while it’s simple to get them on Vogels, mine don’t have them. Here’s an old pic of the boots in action: http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/PNWjumper/media/My%20Horses/2454504460094686761yWEDQK_ph.jpg.html?sort=3&o=109.

My vote definitely goes to Vogel! (Though I’ve heard the same things about Dehners as well).

My experience having Dehners and seeing a friend with both Dehners and Vogels, I’d have to say Dehners are by far the more durable. Both make a quality boot, but while the Dehners lasted for years and years, the Vogels my friend had wore out very quickly. Just what I observed in comparing four pairs of boots owned by two people, so very small sample, and YMMV.

Dehners, for sure. Mine are 12 years old and look fantastic. My trainer just switched from her 30 year old pair to her 15 year old pair that she bought as a back up but never wore.

I LOVE the Dehner foot. I really hate boots that look like they have a jazz shoe for the foot, as many do. The Dehner foot looks like it belongs on a boot, not on a ballroom dancer. :slight_smile: If I had the option, I would update mine a bit (spanish tops and maybe some zippers, but I can’t be sure about that. I don’t trust zippers) but other than that, I love them.

Dehners, been wearing them since 1980 (Not the same pair, but only because my size changed, never wore a pair out!)

[QUOTE=pickupthepace;7462572]
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/missyr17/IMG_0021_zpsa6e9141b.jpg

Not a great photo, but here they are.

I should also mention that when measuring, if you are getting zippers make sure to shave a little bit off your measurements! I did not know that they make the boots to the measurements you provide and THEN add the zippers. So it adds about 1/4" to the boots. I like it because I can wear thicker socks in the winter, but it is something to keep in mind.

Edit to add: another photo

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/missyr17/IMG_0038_zps5e9b8b07.jpg[/QUOTE]

They are lovely. I don’t know who would object to the appearance of these.

Vogel. My Mom has has her boots for 25+ years and they look amazing. I have had mine for 10 and they went through college and some pretty poor treatment on my part and still look brand new. I could sleep in them

NOT Der Daus. They’re gorgeous and über-expensive and the “dream boot” will have issues within a year if two people I know are any indication. They are probably as delicate as Ariat Monacos.

I have Vogels in French calf and adore them! But they are only about two years old, so I cannot speak to durability.

I can just say zippers are NOT durable in general, though most boot makers now provide a heavy-duty zipper.

Dehners. No doubt. I have had Vogels (with zippers - NEVER again), Der Daus (nice, but fragile) and 2 pairs of Dehners - traditional black dress & yorkshire cut Newmarkets for schooling, The Dehners are far sturdier. Jeff from Dehner came out to our barn & measured a bunch of us all at once. It was quite nice, really.