Unlimited access >

Most durable tall boot brand?

Anyone have suggestions for a brand of tall boot that will not be destroyed by riding 7-8 horses a day? I’ve really been struggling finding something that will hold up to the amount of riding I do and so far no luck. I’m currently riding in a pair of Tredstep Donatellos and after barely 3 months they had holes worn through the leather of the calf in multiple places. To say I was miffed is an understatement.

I really don’t like paddock boots and half chaps, so I would like to stay away from them. My budget isn’t sky high but I’m not afraid to shell out some good money if the boots will really last me a while.

dehner will outlast roaches in the appoclypse but they aren’t the prettiest

Thanks. :slight_smile: I’ll have a look into them and see if there’s a dealer near me or one that goes to shows I’ll be at.

I don’t need pretty for schooling at home, I need long-lasting, so I’m not having to spend money on new boots every 4-5 months!

Personally, I think Dehners are very handsome. I agree, though, that they are very well-made and built to last. Mine date from 1978, and I still use them.

They have some less-expensive, sturdy Dragoon leather that you might consider for everyday boots. I also love their three-buckle model: easy on-and-off, and no zipper to break!

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephotos/3buckle_brown_yorkshire_large.jpg

I still have a pair of semi-custom Effinghams that I bought when I was 12 and can still wear them today- 18 years later. Don’t know if they’re still in existence but those boots put up with a clueless young owner and survived without issue. I still show in them from time to time.

I’d recommend the Dehners, too, but interestingly I also have an ancient (27 year old) pair of Effinghams that are still in excellent condition. I only just recently “outgrew” them in the calf. I don’t believe that brand is made any longer.

My other thought is that although you say you don’t like paddock boots and half chaps, you may just not have tried the right brand of half chap. For example, there are half chaps made of stiffer leather that feel like the shaft of a tall boot and not like a soft/stretchy half-chap.

Another vote for Dehners. Not uncommon for them to see 20+ years of service

Vogels or Dehners hold up best. Ariat and Italian, not so much.

No more Effinghmas sadly :frowning: they don’t exist any more…I have a couple of pairs at work that are about the age of Methuselah that are on for sale for 60$, they do last forever… if you are looking for long lasting then I would also put in a plug for the Dehners, they are pretty solid boots.

[QUOTE=FlyHigh;7789107]
I’m currently riding in a pair of Tredstep Donatellos and after barely 3 months they had holes worn through the leather of the calf in multiple places. To say I was miffed is an understatement. [/QUOTE]

following this thread for suggestions.

I bought the Tredstep DaVincis when they were on huge discount at TOTD. After 6 months of riding in them MAYBE 1-2x/week (I switch between my tall boots and my paddock/half chaps) the sole is already coming off! I know I didn’t pay full price for them but they should still be the same quality as if I paid the original price. I was so pissed!

I have a pair of the Volant S (front zippers) and I use them everyday for multiple rides and occasionally show in them and they have held up great. I got them back in March (Zulily had them super cheap) and they still are show worthy. They are well built, VERY COMFORTABLE for all day use, and so far long lasting. You could look at their newer Volants with the Navy top as those are cheaper than their other styles…

What I have…
http://equusunlimited.com/tall-boots/ariat-womens-volant-front-red-zip-tall-boot-black-closeout/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-8ihBRD2t9qT3NaW7igSJAD3_sNVgTvqGFikzZ8uofkVvOxCn5t9FnqttJpykFPE02rV9hoCGsfw_wcB

Cheaper new version…
http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=AT91085&mi=KU-02B-FM&utm_medium=Channel&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=AT91085&gclid=CjwKEAjw-8ihBRD2t9qT3NaW7igSJAD3_sNV3BmMYTR6aUdszSPqqJOtmPXafmMgRi3q6CRlaGbhUBoC0Crw_wcB

“Dehner will outlast roaches in the appoclypse but they aren’t the prettiest”

Oh, but I think they are the prettiest. They have a bit of a rugged, outdoorsy look while still being gorgeous. The too tapered of an ankle, ballet slipper type foot common nowadays I don’t get.

Get a full lining for the most durability. Careful of rubs & blisters while breaking them in, though.

Dehners, nuf said

Yep - Dehners are tough - although I don’t know what happened in the late 1990’s - custom Dehners were THE BOOT to have in my event barn - and I remember several pairs had weird “issues” with the outside coating peeling off, and feeling “plasticy”. Lots of returns and back and forths. I am guessing it was just a bad production period?

(see the weird peeling on this boot? That is what I am talking about - only it was in huge holes of peeled off finish on the inside of the boot - these as well, see the weird wrinkling between layers and the white patches?)

And yes, I have Effinghams from the early 1990’s - the ones that survived my working student days of many rides a week, wash racks etc - those things wore like Iron! Still a couple of pairs floating around, especially if you take a wonky size :wink:

http://www.horsetown.com/Effingham-Field-Tall-Boots.html

DeNiro’s with the trainer patch.

I know a few tainers who love the Volant’s.

My Vogels are from the mid 80’s.
I also like Dehners.

Wait, Zulilly sells equestrian stuff too?

[QUOTE=cswoodlandfairy;7792265]
I have a pair of the Volant S (front zippers) and I use them everyday for multiple rides and occasionally show in them and they have held up great. I got them back in March (Zulily had them super cheap) and they still are show worthy. They are well built, VERY COMFORTABLE for all day use, and so far long lasting. You could look at their newer Volants with the Navy top as those are cheaper than their other styles…

What I have…
http://equusunlimited.com/tall-boots/ariat-womens-volant-front-red-zip-tall-boot-black-closeout/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-8ihBRD2t9qT3NaW7igSJAD3_sNVgTvqGFikzZ8uofkVvOxCn5t9FnqttJpykFPE02rV9hoCGsfw_wcB

Cheaper new version…
http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=AT91085&mi=KU-02B-FM&utm_medium=Channel&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=AT91085&gclid=CjwKEAjw-8ihBRD2t9qT3NaW7igSJAD3_sNV3BmMYTR6aUdszSPqqJOtmPXafmMgRi3q6CRlaGbhUBoC0Crw_wcB[/QUOTE]

Zulily has equestrian stuff??

Riding boots are a very small part of the Dehner boot company. As I understand it they had gotten contracts to make combat boots for our troups in Afgahistan. With the added workload I believe new bootmakers were hired on leaving those folks to make the riding boots. Delivery time went from 10-12 weeks to 16-18 weeks with craftsmanish leaving much to be desired. I still am of the feeling thatthe craftsmanship is not close to what it once was. :frowning: