Unlimited access >

Most imaginative jumps

A lifetime ago. Pratoni del Vivaro, Rome, Italy. Us juniors were competing in our first long format 3 day. It…it was a swinging kayak complete with a dummy in the middle that swayed with the breezes. I had nightmares about that one jump…Tamburello sailed over it with nary a glance. To this day I have never seen a jump like that at any of the xcountry stuff. It was probably a meter high, set around a blind hilly corner. That kayak was suspended with cable and two huge balloons on either side that moved as well. One had to approach it gauging not only the swing but the wind gusts as well. It was a trip. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

omg someone HAS to have a picture of that! They HAVE to!!!

1 Like

Not at a show but at one of my old H/J barns. The liverpool had pots of reeds that swayed in the wind and a floating plastic swan. There was also one that was a railroad crossing, with an X made of wide boards painted black and yellow and stop signs on each end. They really taught you to hold your line.

1 Like

At GMHA there was a “road closed” jump with LIT FLARES under it.

5 Likes

My favorite among ones I have personally built was a Liverpool jump with blue waves as rails and sharks as the wings.

One of my favorite jumps we had built during my time at Radnor Hunt Pony Club was a memorial to a past DC and longtime supporter who was always accompanied by her bulldogs.

6 Likes

Wow! @lcw579, that is amazing.

Are the faces on the standards painted by someone or some sort of applied decal?

@trubandloki If I remember correctly it was screened onto the panel somehow so it wouldn’t peel off and could withstand being out in the weather. It was built back in 2015 so it’s held up really well. The one thing I can’t remember is whether or not we gave the jump builder pictures of one of her dogs or not. He was really talented and creative, it’s a shame he stopped building jumps.

1 Like

I just saw a jump at Wellington (on the live stream) that is railroad crossing arms for rails and the standards are head-on locomotives :+1: :+1:

I build stadium jumps, so please post lots of pictures ! I’m always looking for ideas.

Particularly jump designs that are crowd-pleasers to look at but are not overly intimidating to horses and riders.

Here is a screen shot of the railway jump I mentioned.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that; my dad would be enthralled if there was a whole railroad themed course LOL

Now I am imagining a jump with a locomotive and a caboose as the wings, and jumping a flat rail car between them. Adding to my idea folder- thanks!

2 Likes

Not the best photos since I was lazy and shot in groups. This was for the national GP at Thermal tonite. There were some more creative ones for the FEI class last night, including the star one that was just decorating the ring tonite. There’s also a hot air balloon jump, cactus jump, and one that includes sunglasses fill at the base.

In general, horses aren’t as intimidated by decorated standards as by weird fill.

2 Likes