Unlimited access >

Mountain Horse Sovereign Boots or DeNiro S3312 Edit: The Bath Tub Method

Help!

I found both boots in my size. Similarly priced. Which one for the hunters in black?

I don’t know anything about the DeNiros, but I have a pair of Sovereigns and I love them. They look sharp, and barely took any time to break in. I’ve only had them about 6 months or so, but my last pair of MH boots lasted nearly a decade (they’re actually still in good condition, I just wanted an upgrade).

Love, Love, Love my Deniro’s!

Seconding the Sovereigns. I’ve been so impressed by mine.

I’ve had both, when I first got the Mountain horse boots I loved them then I got my DeNiros (custom) for a few weeks to break them in. Put the Mountain Horse boots back on to school and threw them away. I couldn’t ride in them any more, they were too bunched up at the bottom, they rubbed my legs. I went and bought a pair of tricolor boots to replace them for schooling, they’re like a second skin. They are so comfortable.

Love my Sovereigns! I’m on my second pair, so easy to break in, hold up to lots of riding, look really fancy and not like every other boot in the ring, but not so different that you stick out. I’ve had people stop to ask what they are, even.

1 Like

Shows just opened up in Ontario and tall bots are super hard to find.

I went ahead and bought both- both tack stores are FAR- and am having them shipped to me. I’ll return the ones I don’t like.

2 Likes

I had my Sovereigns for just over a year when the stitching blew on the inside of the calf. I switched to Ego7s, so I can’t speak to the Deniros, but I was just not impressed by the Sovereigns for the price.

1 Like

I totally agree with @outside_leg they are not the same quality as the deniros. I’ve had them both and I would never buy a second pair of the mountain horse boots.

2 Likes

In my experience, the fit and quality of the DeNiros is far superior to any Mt Horse boots.

3 Likes

Agree that the mountain horses are just disappointing. Mine blew out in just over a year with a good portion of that time not riding hardly at all as my horse was out due to lameness. And when they did die, they DIED - I’m talking big holes in several places. Nothing that could really be patched and hopped along. They are soft but bunch like crazy at the ankle as someone else said. I’d maybe buy them again if I can get them cheap and barely used. But new? NO WAY. Such a waste. Oh and I did reach out to MH about the boots and their response was that that was normal wear and tear (again for boots that were pretty well babied - always stored with trees, in a bag, put on before the bridle, taken off before the saddle and barely used at all for several months). What a shame the company doesn’t even stand behind their $350-400 boots.

No idea about Deniros.

DeNiros came in and are keepers!

3 Likes

Bath tub noob

Alright: I am wearing breeches, socks and sprinkled my legs and the boots in the warm shower. How the heck do I know when they are dry-dry? The wetting took place at 8am

Not sure of your time zone, but if it’s been a few hours, they are dry. My favorite way to break boots in is riding in them wet or after being conditioned.

Which Tricolores did you order? I see on SmartPak they offer a few different levels of them. I’m super intrigued as they’re more affordable than the Salantos I had looked at before. And lots of sizing options for my seemingly odd fit legs.

I HIGHLY recommend the De Niro boots. I bought mine 10 years ago and they are still going strong with daily use and abuse. They were used for both schooling and showing originally. Now are used only for daily schooling as they aren’t in show condition anymore - that being said they haven’t worn through in the calf and soles are still going strong.

The only thing I’ve had issues with are the zippers and the elastic laces gave out about 8 years in, but for 10 year old tall boots I’ll happily replace zippers and laces every few years if the boot itself is still holding up phenomenally!

1 Like

That’s a good question! I got the pair that fitted me at the tack shop :joy: will see if I can get more info for you when I go to the barn today!

These are what I have

1 Like