Mounting a horse with hip replacement

I am about 5 weeks out from a hip replacement on my right hip (I had my left replaced 8 years ago). Does anyone have suggestions for mounting with a right hip replacement, the one we swing over the saddle. I had lost my range of motion and had to shorten the stirrups on the left side so I could get my leg over the saddle. (I use a mounting block). We’ll see what my range of motion is with the new hip. I heard someone say it helps to lean forward over the horse in getting your leg over the saddle. Also, any suggestions for being sure you don’t dislocate the hip swinging it over the saddle. I was used to riding with my left hip replacement but this is new to me. And I am going to wait a while to be sure its safe to ride, Again, any suggestions for mounting will be appreciated.

Hummm, going from memory here --hip replacement was awhile ago, maybe six years? But as I recall, getting ON was not a problem. When you are in PT, tell the therapist what your goal is and he/she will give you specific exercises to achieve that. You may even be able to practice in the PT room. Secondly, using a mounting block was wise (I still use one to save horse’s back and my saddle). Maybe a taller one? Finally, as I said, MOUNTING wasn’t a problem. But when I went to dismount --it was as if all my muscle memory had vanished --kind of had to think through the process!

As far as dislocation . . .I rode at six weeks after surgery --but a whpper in at the hunt club was back on in 3 and whipping in. I don’t think dislocation is a worry --but check with your PT or your doctor. The ONLY thing I was cautioned about was riding bareback (no support for my foot/leg) that might cause discomfort.

But I’m back to riding 100% fit with a shoulder, hip, and two knee replacements. Actually feel better than ever. I am extremely careful when I ride (as much as one can be) --and wear knee protection (polo knee pads). I have safe, sane horses (as much as horses can be safe and sane). I took lessons for the first time in many, many years this summer to improve my jumping with the goal of consistently taking 2’ on the hunt field --LOL --and I used to consistently take 4’!!! But I was 20 something then, and that was almost 50 years ago. Two foot fences and a pack of hounds are good enough!

Congratulations on still being able to jump!

I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago. I mounted from the right side and had been doing that for months because it was so painful to raise my right leg. I did extensive training with my horse when she was young to come ‘pick me up’ from a fence, log…whatever. I made sure we did each side equally. That training has been worth it’s weight in gold. I just kept mounting from the right until I buggered up my back on the left side and it was painful to raise that leg then went back to mounting on the left. Right leg is A-OK with that now. No pain at all. Horse doesn’t care which side I use at all.

Oh yes and I always mount (and dismount) from a block or height (fence, rock, log, truck bed, hillside…whatever works).

Susan

1 Like

Every time I see the title of this thread, my heart races just a teensy bit and my eyes get a little wide at the thought of a horse having hip replacement surgery – and then being ridden.

Mounting from the other side is genius actually. I did teach my mare to come close to whatever I am mountain though. That training is amazing.

In addition to mounting from the off side (we do this with some therapeutic riding clients) getting yourself a really tall mounting block could make all the difference. For the center, our (permanent) blocks are about at stirrup height.