Unlimited access >

Mounting difficulties

Hi, I’m asking for advice on exercises to strengthen my leg muscles. I’m middle aged, tall, with a small horse. I have arthritis in my left ankle and a tweaky right knee. Lately it is harder and harder to mount. I trail ride and ride Western so I need to be able to dismount on the trail and get back up. I don’t think it is a pain problem. My ankle is no better or worse than it has ever been and the knee isn’t too painful. I’m average weight and I hike a lot so I’m not sure what exactly has happened. I’d appreciate any advice.

There should be lots of potential mounting blocks outdoors. A shallow ditch? A rock? The truck tailgate? You uphill and the horse downhill? I have to have something with some height on it to mount…the last time I mounted from the ground I tore the cartilage in my knee and I don’t like pulling that much on the horse either (I usually ride English though). I don’t need 3 steps but 6-8 inches helps a whole lot.
If your horse isn’t used to a block, practice at home. Get him/her to swing over and pick you up.

I mount on the right side. I had a bad right hip and just couldn’t get it over the horse so she had to get used to me mounting on the right. I had my hip replaced so I don’t have to do that any more but I do. It feels right now.

You might visit a physical therapist and get recommendations for exercises that will increase your strength and not aggravate the creaky parts. Aging creeps up on you and your get up and go leaves:disgust:.

Susan

2 Likes

Agree with this, age just steals things away from you, so you learn to make the best of what you have. Getting exercises that are particular to you and your issues is really key, then you can strengthen what you need to.

Also agree that mounting from a block, ditch, stump, log, anything is better than trying to struggle.

Do speak to your doctor and ask about seeing a PT if you can - I ignored something for almost a year and the PT rectified it in about four weeks.

There’s also at least one portable mounting stool that might be of value to you - first results to come back on Google.

Good luck.

I am old and decrepit, two knee replacements, rotator cuff repair, currently nursing a recently fused foot (told a riding buddy I’m navicular.) I haven’t been able to mount a 15 hand horse (I’m 5’7" and 205) from the ground for over a decade. Both my horses have learned to stand next to darn near ANYTHING out on the trail for me to use as a mounting block. The higher the better for both of us, provided I can scramble up on it. Very rarely have
I had to lead a horse more than a couple dozen yards to find something that will work. And neither horse was a pro at doing this at first but persistence and peppermints have worked wonders. Two voice commands: Stand, and Step. Latter means move one hoof forward. When you’re teetering on a stump with one of your own feet waving in the air trying to reach a stirrup Step is real handy.

1 Like

Whenever you possibly can, find something to use as a mounting block. That’s just part of making life as easy as you can for you and your horse. But as a backup plan you could teach your horse to park out. Just like a saddleseat horse. Well trained it can get their back down 4+ inches. It also inclines them toward standing still so you can take your time getting on. To be clear, this is BAD for a horses back, but you don’t have to use it all the time. It’s really simple ground training, and is a pinch it could be a real life saver.

1 Like

I have no significant physical problems but I ride English on a 16 hand horse and as an adult I simply cannot mount from the ground.

When we were kids this would have been shameful. In fact we all vaulted on bareback from the ground. And laughed at any one who couldn’t.

I’ve been happy to find the current thought in English riding is to always use a mounting block to save the horse’s back!

I’ve started trail riding off property and so far have been able to find park benches stumps stones dry ditches etc to get me the foot or so of height I need if I get off randomly.

I would also suggest a physio therapist who could suggest strengthing exercises and perhaps a knee or ankle brace for riding.

I’ve recently lost weight and can not mount our 14.2hh Rocky from the ground, however larger horses are a no-go without the mounting block. I’ve found the best exercise to strengthen my legs for that needed “umph” from the ground is squats. Start with 20 a day then work your way up every 3 days. I have a bad ankle and back and I’m able to do it. Riding at a canter helps build leg and core muscles as well.

I used to step up on a chair strategically placed next to a banister or something to hold onto…just to strengthen my legs. The 3step mounting block is a great help

I actually have pretty strong thighs but I simply can’t stretch my left leg high enough to get it into the stirrup from the ground. English saddle.