Mounting problem

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;5429995]
After acquiring a 17.33 Percheron, I went thru every mounting block known. Hated them all because they just were not sturdy enough. Finally designed a Mounting Platform and had Mr. C’mare build it… perhaps the OP and others might consider building one too. I mount and dismount from it, saving my and my horse’s back.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2320496810015305252GooDeV

The stairs are “attached” with a French Cleat so that they are secure but can easily be removed should you need to relocate the platform.[/QUOTE]

That is the Taj Mahal of mounting blocks.:cool:

as the queen of problems with mounting I feel your pain. It really depends on the day and how im feeling that dictates how much assistance i need. Tall mounting blocks help but not always, sometimes I need that and a boost up:lol: even on a pony!:lol: Dont try to overdo it without help you will fatigue and frustrate yourself more I know. I have never had anyone refuse to help me mount which on a bad day takes 2 people to help.

Chocomare, that really is the rolls royce of mounting blocks! CoolMom, I had the same problem when I bought my Shire. He would walk away from the mounting block as soon as my foot was in the stirrup. I turned the mounting block so his nose was to the fence every time I got on, first with mr. chai holding him and then on his own. I used the command, “Stand” and we rewarded him when he stood until I asked him to move off.

After mounting with his nose to the fence for a couple of weeks, I moved back from the fence, although he was still facing it and eventually out in the open. He stands very nicely now, even when I have to use the bumper of my manure cart to get on. I have accepted the fact that the days when I could mount a 17.2 horse from the ground are pretty much over, but it’s amazing how many things can substitute for a mounting block once you start looking.

Best of luck with your horse and I hope you will be able to enjoy many more years of enjoyment in the saddle despite your illness.

First time poster, long time reader!
This is very encouraging.

I felt like I was the only one that couldn’t mount up.

I hurt my back in a car accident 4 years ago. Until a year ago, I had not climbed on a horse in over a decade With those factors in mind, everything got weak and of course I gained weight. Riding and working around the farm as one does, I’m losing it (not fast enough) and will lose more as time goes on. I’m going to the gym 3 days a week and am about to begin P90X training with my husband (who has used this form of torture before).

I have several horses ranging from 14.1 to 15.1 hands with the 15.1 horse being the one I ride the most - isn’t that how it always is?!

Currently I have a nice solid wooden mounting box that stands about a foot off the ground. I have been using that to mount up. I hate the idea of hauling on them and my saddle. When I’m out at horse events I hide behind my horse trailer and get on using my bucket because I’m too embarassed for everyone to see me haul my fat can onto the horse. :frowning:
I even have my husband and riding partner balance the off side stirrup for me so I don’t pull. I don’t have enough bounce and rely too much on the pommel/cantle to assist me. I hate this and it really screws up my confidence and want to ride more.

I have recently joined a special mounted riding group and I know that soon I will be required at times to mount up from the ground without assistance, so I gotta really start working on this. I wont do it all the time but to me, it’s important to be able to do in an emergency, you know?

Today after going to the gym and doing leg exercises under the desk at work for three weeks I was able to get onto my short horse (14.1) three times. This is a HUGE accomplishment and I apologized profusely to the horse. He’s a very stoic beast and was very understanding being sorta tubby hisself. <3

Anyway, this is a great post. If you want any info on the exercises I was doing let me know here, or send me a private message. I’ll be happy to cheer you along to working up to mounting from the ground just as I’m getting good support from my friends and most of all, my husband.

Keep on ridin’!

Not everyone can mount from the ground and in fact it is bad for the horse’s back to be hauled to the side every time someone gets up. For the horse’s good everyone should use a mounting block tall enough to allow them to mount without pulling the saddle to the side.

That being said congratulations on your progress Zippy’sMom! I remember when I COULD actually mount but I was never really good at it! (i.e. graceful!) No matter what I weighed!

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;5429995]
After acquiring a 17.33 Percheron, I went thru every mounting block known. Hated them all because they just were not sturdy enough. Finally designed a Mounting Platform and had Mr. C’mare build it… perhaps the OP and others might consider building one too. I mount and dismount from it, saving my and my horse’s back.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2320496810015305252GooDeV

The stairs are “attached” with a French Cleat so that they are secure but can easily be removed should you need to relocate the platform.[/QUOTE]

I have one similar but not as fancy! “It” was actually a set of trailer stairs I fished out of the garbage at work after Hurricane Opal. Perfect height for 15-16 handers!

You can teach the horse to kneel or lay down. Order the DVDs from www.trickhorse.com

I trained my horse to go to the mounting block for me to dismount. It saves alot of wear and tear on my knees.

On the trail I have to find a rock, log or ditch to mount or dismount.

This thread showed up in the forum listings as the most recent thread… I got my lines crossed and thought it was in the Sport Horse Breeding forum :lol:.

Late to the party, but I’ll play anyway…

I have a pretty sweet mounting block. It’s basically steps that once were attached to a house. Three steps high, probably a good 4 feet long, with rubbery traction stuff on the steps. Rock solid and great for crippled me.

OP, don’t feel bad about having trouble mounting. Lots of people have a hard time getting on from the ground, and as someone said, mounting from the ground is bad for the horse anyway. You have never be able to spring into the saddle again (assuming you could in the first place!), but as time goes by and you practice you’ll get better. You don’t realize how scary mounting/dismounting can be until you’re not able to do it very well.

I have a nice stained block at home that I use for mounting. I don’t like hauling on the horse when I mount.

When I’m out places I have a special bucket that I take my “to go” brushes in. It has a secure lid and I use that for mounting.

I think that it’s important to be able to mount from the ground for emergency purposes.
In my situation, I’m a member of a volunteer mounted posse and it’s important to be able to do in an emergency.

Doesnt climbing on a horse while it’s laying down or parking out cause back problems? Seems to me to not be good for the horse from a chiropractic standpoint …

LOL, mine is a bit less fancy. If you look closely the rail is actually an old paddle.
https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/Apr10#5464937229065919394

It would be better if he rail was on the other side.

[QUOTE=ZippysMom;5709985]
I have a nice stained block at home that I use for mounting. I don’t like hauling on the horse when I mount.

When I’m out places I have a special bucket that I take my “to go” brushes in. It has a secure lid and I use that for mounting.

I think that it’s important to be able to mount from the ground for emergency purposes.
In my situation, I’m a member of a volunteer mounted posse and it’s important to be able to do in an emergency.

Doesnt climbing on a horse while it’s laying down or parking out cause back problems? Seems to me to not be good for the horse from a chiropractic standpoint …[/QUOTE]

Welcome to posting, good question there.

Yes, a horse has to strain more if he stretches for you to get on easier, especially if the rider is not a limber teenager and strains a bit, pulling the horse over.

If a horse is laying down and then sitting up and a rider gets on there and the horse has to heave up with that extra weight, it is a strain you don’t want the horse to have to go thru often.

I would say, if we rarely use those methods, but get on from some mounting aid most of the time, it is ok that one odd time you have to strain to get on and the horse has to strain to stand there or get up with you.

Of course, if you could avoid that, much better.

Have you looked into those little three legged mounting stools you can carry with you?

They are very light, have a string you can pull them up after you get on and the legs fold and they store right in a little bag that hangs on the saddle.

You still have to be able to use the stirrup to mount, but that stool makes reaching the stirrup much easier.:yes:

[QUOTE=carolprudm;5710392]
LOL, mine is a bit less fancy. If you look closely the rail is actually an old paddle.
https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/Apr10#5464937229065919394

It would be better if he rail was on the other side.[/QUOTE]

Neat, that is a good one.:yes:
Now, what size horse did you say you get on?:wink:

LOL, Sophie is a hair under 16 hands. The platform is just at stirrup height so all I have to do is swing my leg over her.

[QUOTE=carolprudm;5710695]
LOL, Sophie is a hair under 16 hands. The platform is just at stirrup height so all I have to do is swing my leg over her.[/QUOTE]

That is handy.:slight_smile:

I have a standard three step plastic one and my two 14.2 horses are also where I can just step on, the 14.3 and 15 hand ones, not quite.
Your handy-dandy mounting block, with handrail not less, looked taller than that.:yes: