Unlimited access >

Moving and retirement/still possible to teach?

Hi, I’m new here but have been reading for awhile. Was hoping to get an idea of what the dressage scene is like in upstate NY.

Probably looking to retire up there in around 5-8 years and was wondering if there was work teaching dressage lessons around the lake Champlain area?

I currently run a dressage training barn for the last 20 years and have ridden and shown thru GP on horses I have trained myself.

I do NOT want to run a farm again. Just looking to teach and would not be looking to still own horses myself by that time.

Any info would be appreciated
TIA

1 Like

The term Upstate NY can mean very different things to different people. Do you have an idea of a general area in the state you are thinking?

Sorry it is in the original post,but probably not 100% clear. @trubandloki

Lake Champlain area more towards the southern end.

I am sorry, you are right. I missed that part.

I know there is some dressage on the Vermont side, near Burlington.

I spent a good part of my life in Rochester and some in Albany. Have some knowledge of the territory as you go up the Northway. I think you will be hard pressed to do much dressage teaching up there. For starters there are not a lot of people overall :slightly_smiling_face:…Second, if you google “dressage Lake Champlain” there are only a very small number of farms that come up on the NYS side of the lake. And they don’t seem to be much more than basic lessons/boarding.
It is interesting, that the same google search highlights a bunch of options on the Vermont side, as noted in other post - Burlington area. That said if you dig further, they dont seem to be too discipline oriented.
Only other suggestion is to investigate what, if any USDF GMO’s include that area. IF there are any, contacting them may give you some additional information.

Edited to add: even when I was in Albany it was a struggle to find a place to board with an indoor, unless I was willing to drive to Saratoga (oh no, not in winter, lol)