Unlimited access >

Moving barns

I have posted this before, but it has become on going problem. My boy recently developed ulcers. They are apparently in his lower part of stomach, so not actual gastro ulcers. The doctor said after having scoped that it is most likely due to his environment, something is stressing him or he is unhappy in some way. OR it could be diet as well. I have completely changed his diet, he is not being ridden at all. And has now started a full tube of Gastrogaurd of thirty days. Breaking the bank big time!

With that being said, there have been a lot of problems with where I have been boarding on and off. Mostly the amount of money being paid in boarding and the lack of care shown by the owner. She has little concern it seems for anyone unless it helps her. She has no clue what she is doing and had made that incredibly obvious. It’s sad really, and in all honesty I can’t stand her. She is taking so much money from people who are just blindly giving it to her. As for the barn/ facilities- there is no grass, and costal hay. Which I personally am not a fan of. We have already in the past year have three horses colic due to it, and two of which are no longer here because of impactions. He is unhappy with his pasture buddy, I have brought this up with her she does not care and won’t move him. He is only getting about 5 hours of turnout a day. My biggest concern is he always seem to have health problems where we are now. Lameness, developed equine asthma, and now ulcers. The list continues.

I live in South East Georgia in a very small town. There are three barns here. The one I am at, one other I have tried moving him too where he quickly fell to pieces, and it ended up being a huge mistake. We moved back to our current place after two weeks. There is one other place that is incredibly nice, but is 1500 a month. So no thank you! Options are limited and I want to move him somewhere I know I can trust as I won’t be able to be as hands on due to distance.

I now have the opportunity to move him to Atlanta with my old trainer, there is a ton of grass and 12 hour turnout, plus great hay. He will be with someone I trust wholeheartedly. She is great, and I know he will be in good hands. I, however, am in college. I can’t move. So he would be going to Atlanta, most likely full leased out, and starting a career in 3 day eventing. My biggest dilemma is 1) missing him very much 2) My mother being on board, as she is gracious enough to help pay for this until I graduate. She is concerned that he may not flourish there and have just as many problems. Boarding will be higher, and no one wants to lease a unhealthy horse. 3) if he doesn’t flourish then what? Do I bring him back down here, move barns again?

So my question is what do it do? I personally want to move him to Atlanta. I think the environment, plus being with someone who cares and knows what they are doing is going to benefit him. But there is still a part of me hat is hesitant. Please help!

Pretty easy decision, if you are concerned for his welfare. Move him to your old trainer’s place, if you have plenty of confidence and faith in that trainer. And it sounds like you do. Of course you would miss him, but consider that he will also proceed in his training with someone you know.

3 Likes

I think your horse has made it very clear that he needs to move. It sounds like this is a great short term solution. When you move, be very kind to this barn owner and explain that he’s moving to be leased/put in a program. That way if it doesn’t work out or there is no change, you haven’t burned that bridge.

I wouldn’t worry about “what if he doesn’t flourish there?” just yet. Cross that bridge if it comes to it. The answer may be find him a new home (owner) who can manage his special needs. But I would not worry about that yet. He may do great with your old trainer!

1 Like

The part of you that is hesitant is probably the part that will miss him. Totally understandable and normal. But as an outsider I can see from what you wrote that moving him is the only logical choice. Sometimes the logical choices aren’t always the easy easiest.

1 Like

Right now horse is doing poorly and you aren’t riding.

You can send horse to your old trainer and he will be full leased so someone else will be paying his board, I assume.

You will have the responsibility off your hands and the expense too and you can concentrate on college.

Sounds like the right move.

1 Like