Unlimited access >

Moving to Atlanta - who to train with?

Looks like I’ll be headed to Atlanta…

Not sure where within Atlanta I’ll be living, but likely somewhere ITP (learned this term recently, “inside the perimeter”). I started a similar thread for Baltimore before I knew of this move.

Looking for suggestions on trainers who might have horses to teach on. I’ll likely still be horseless by the time I move, but plan to lease and eventually have my own ride once I settle in and explore barns/options in the area.

I’m pretty serious about improving my riding and moving up to prelim (eventually), and am looking for the right coach to help me through this process. I’d rather spend time/$ commuting for a superb trainer than compromise with a mediocre one. And I realize my trainer options will likely increase once I have my own horse.

Suggest away! :smiley:

Julie Richards and Danielle Dichting Busbee are both in the Atlanta area. I don’t think either have horses to teach off of but if you are looking for a lease situation, either would be good to look into. Both are great!

Thanks. Does Julie Richards have a website or contact info?

I live further south (Poplar Place area) but when I was looking it was pretty easy to find good SJ lesson programs north of the city (that’s where horse country is) and decent dressage lessons. But there was nothing for eventing if you didn’t have your own. I’m not horribly connected so that may mean nothing. But if for the time being you wanted to focus on dressage or SJ there are a ton of options until you have your own horse that is.

I absolutely loved training with Nicky Buckingham at Montclair stables in Conyers, but she doesn’t have schoolies. Might have a sales horse or two where lessons might be available.

When I was working south of Atlanta, I had a problem finding someone with a horse to take lessons on. I ended up just buying my own horse.

Julie doesn’t have a website. I think she has a Facebook, but I am not sure that she is very active on it.
She is just lovely to work with and brings in some great clinicians to. (Not to mention she just made the training list!)
If you contacted her, she probably could find a horse for you to ride at her barn. (That’s from assuming when I brought one of my students to ride, she had a few horses for them.)

Julie Richards sounds promising, hopefully she has schoolies. Does she provide boarding too?

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, I shouldn’t commit to a horse before finding a trainer/barn that I like. And, it’s likely not a good idea to bring a new horse into the chaos of a big move. However, it seems like many of the more advanced/sought after trainers only teach those with their own horse; and Baltimore (where I am currently) has many more options compared to Atlanta for horse hunting.

I will say that I know of a few people local with good solidly trained youngsters BUT no I had to go pretty far to buy a horse once i was here. I thought the same as you (who wants to move a horse and everything that goes with it) but I really did struggle to find something in my budget in GA/AL when they were everywhere in MD/DC/VA.

[QUOTE=hiatus;7856708]
Julie Richards sounds promising, hopefully she has schoolies. Does she provide boarding too?

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, I shouldn’t commit to a horse before finding a trainer/barn that I like. And, it’s likely not a good idea to bring a new horse into the chaos of a big move. However, it seems like many of the more advanced/sought after trainers only teach those with their own horse; and Baltimore (where I am currently) has many more options compared to Atlanta for horse hunting.[/QUOTE]

If you think you’d like to go ahead and purchase a horse fairly quickly after moving, perhaps approach the trainer you’d like to ride with, even if they don’t have schoolies. Explain that you’d like to purchase a horse but would prefer to do it with a trainer’s guidance but you’d like to make sure you like the trainer first. Even the more sought after trainers are likely to work with you through the process, because it means you won’t end up bringing a horse they aren’t fond of into the program.

I bought a horse a year before moving into an intensive training program and it took quite a long time before my new trainer was won over on my horse. Most of the people who brought horses into the program ended up selling them and buying something else; I dug in and refused to and eventually the trainer came around. (He liked nice horses on the flat and mine is tough in that phase.)

Still, it would have been easier all around if I had had his guidance to purchase something.

I live in Newnan, GA where Julie Burns Richards lives but don’t ride with her. My understanding is that she is still based out of the family farm/barn on Hwy. 29 in Newnan but clinics and competes all around. She also imports quite a lot of horses from Fernhill Sporthorses in Ireland which are doing well in eventing so would likely have something for you to ride and possibly buy. If you want to event, the two main facilities in the are area to the South: Carl Bouckaert’s Chattahoochee Hills in Fairburn and Poplar Place in Hamilton, GA which is just South of Pine Mountain.

Upper level riders also in the area include: Julie Burns Richard, Becky Holder, Werner Geven (at Poplar); Sarah Dunkerton (Swamp Fox Farm also in Newnan). There is also Meg Morgan - Simply Southern Eventing; Ashley Giles - Brigadier Eventing; Megan Buchanan Harris of Fade to Grey Farm. All have Facebook pages too to one degree or another. I’m not sure who is on the Northside who focuses on eventing. Lots of Hunters, Show Jumpers and Dressage people in Alpharetta area. Michael Pollard is in Dalton, GA but that’s not exactly close to Atlanta. Good luck!

Also try Harmony Grove Farm in Villa Rica. They do have lesson horses.

Mary Bess Sigman Davis - Triple Creek Eventing…simply wonderful for all levels, but no, she doesn’t have school horses. I highly recommend her high level of training, family values, and just fun personality. Pine Top side of Atlanta :slight_smile:

www.emilyrusinyakeventing.com
I have horses available for students to ride

Zeb Fry is 45min. N of Atlanta http://littlekentuckyfarm.com/

I only know her through one person (who bought a horse from her), and my horse staying with her on his way to NC. Don’t know if she has a school horse, but she gets some nice looking prospects. She was very nice, and kept in constant contact, when Petey was in her care.