Unlimited access >

Mr Bumpkin's Helmet Theory

What Happens When You Fall Without a Helmet:

If you were to take a fall from your horse and land on your head without a helmet, your head which would contain a great deal of kinetic (in motion) energy would strike the hard ground and a good deal of that energy would then transfer back to your head in a great shock to your brain. Hard ground is a poor energy shock absorber, but rather more of a shock reflector.

This would be like hitting a telephone pole with a baseball bat. The pole can’t absorb the kinetic energy of the moving bat, so the pole reflects the energy back into the bat and back up your arms. This is what you don’t want to happen when trying to prevent a head injury. You want the energy to leave your head and move into the ground at a rate that the ground can absorb it at.

Neither your head or the ground compress very well and therefore the impact energy is transferred from your head to the ground over a very small amount of physical displacement, or movement. This rapid deceleration of your skull hitting the ground means that your brain which is floating in a fluid can slam into the inside of your skull and become bruised, resulting in a concussion.

How a Helmet Works:

Helmets are made up of a hard outer shell and a firm, but compressible inner liner normally made from polystyrene. The outer shell is designed to stay in shape in a fall and not deform upon impact. This causes the energy of the helmet contacting the ground not to be focused on a small local area of the helmet, but to be spread out over the entire surface of the helmet where it contacts the ground.

Between your head and the hard outer shell is a polystyrene foam layer. This layer is designed to compress at a predetermined rate when the helmet strikes the ground. This compression rate is designed to decelerate (slow) your head at a rate that doesn’t cause your brain to strike the inside of your skull. This is similar to an airbag in your car. It inflates just before you hit it and then deinflates as your body presses into it, thereby slowing your forward motion so you don’t slam into the steering wheel. Additionally, the force of your head upon the foam compresses the foam and this converts the kinetic energy of your head into mechanical energy (compressing foam) and then into heat which is quickly dissipated.

Accidents:

Once a helmet has been used in an accident and the inner liner of foam has become compressed in even a small amount it must be replaced or rebuilt with a new foam liner, or next time there will be less non-compressed foam to absorb the energy and the shock to your head will be greater.

Aging:

The materials that make up a helmet over time can become compromised due to daily use, ozone and other environmental forces causing them to become weakened. Old helmets should be replaced, or they could fail when called upon.

And in FAQ, Favorites, or reference.

Thanks for the great info!!

~Bucksnort~
You can have my boyfriend, but stay away from my horse.

Professor Bumpkin.

Science marches on!

_\]
– * > hoopoe
Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.

If anyone can, please use it, and if published please send us the article.
Mr Bumpkin would love to see it

That’s a really good idea. It amazes me that the stores have such a small selection when there are so many products out there!!!

visit www.victorianfarms.com

Have you tried the Exeter? I hated them all too because they dug into my forehead and gave me wicked headaches. The Exeter is adjustable, well padded, and doesn’t slip at all - at least for me. I think the adjustable strap they put in really helps a lot for fitting purposes. The harness is not my favorite, but then I tried on the GPA and felt claustrophobic - too much material around my face!

Shameless Bumpkining!

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

That was great!

By the way, with my new gift certificate I can finally afford an approved helmet! Yay!!! There is no way I should be riding my crazy beastie without something seriously protective on my nogin (full body armour would be nice too, hehe)!

How old is old?

Use the Force. ABBA rocks. Just say “NO” to Farrah hair.

Mr Bumpkin liked the Mr Bumpkin name!!

This will for sure get some mixed reactions but here goes…

I am insisting all the kids at the barn get the new approved helmets. I think that is a good thing to do for my insurance company.

BUT I THINK THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!!

They are so HARD on the inside they DO NOT fit anyones head. You can add all the padding you want to and they just simply do not fit right where they are safe.!! The kids came today and about 10 - 12 of them had the new helmets (different brands) that were “fitted” at the tack stores for them. All I have to do is take ahold of the brim and push or pull a little and they swing up or down.

Can’t someone invent helmets that fit right and stay put…

I know there are other threads about this but now we are in the actual process of trying to find ones that work for ALOT of kids, not just a few…

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

And I would love to do it, but I don’t know if I can pull it off.

I think Kestrel is leaving to go South soon, and I have some other Club obligations that I need to tend to

Perhaps, Hoopoe…LOL

By all means this is something that anyone can try to organize anyplace in the country.

just bumping this up again because my fiance’ and i just had a huge argument (er, “discussion”) about helmets tonight. he prefers to ride western (on the rare occasions when he rides at all), and about flipped when i informed him that i was not, under any circumstances, going to allow horses or riding on our property (we’re looking) without approved helmets.

he literally told me he’d never had that thought occur to him, that if a fall of 4ft or more can kill you, horses certainly put you taller than that…never mind the impact if said horse is moving at any speed. hmmm… and this is the same guy who is a cop, wouldn’t think twice about reaming someone out for not wearing a seatbelt or not using a motorcycle or bike helmet, etc… just needed to understand that western (horses, period) aren’t any different.

sorry for rambling… just needed to vent a bit, and i thought it was about time this thread made another appearance, anyway.

As a new member of the approved helmet clique…I will bump this to the top

Science Rules!

_\]
– * > hoopoe
Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.

Flash, if you’re asking, it already sounds like it’s too old. Plus with the synthetic materials, their lifespan is dependent on care, climate, use etc…

Oh Bumpkin, already printed it and trotted it out to the barn for everyone. Sorry if I jumped the gun. Said this is what “Mr. Bumpkin” posted on the internet concerning helmets. The trainers were very happy. Made all their Jrs. read it as well as Amateurs. No one wants people hurt, and this is so straight forward, easy to understand, it’s PERFECT!

I have a tip for fitting the approved helmets (I worked at a tack shop for a long time and DID NOT have trouble fitting these on children): make sure the child’s forehead is bare, i.e. no bangs for the helmet to slide on. Also, the ones lined with material rather than the styrafoam are much less slipery. And finally, the strap is part of the system - fasten it securely.