MRI copay for both stupid knees

I’m afraid I already know the answer to this question…

I know for a fact that I need an MRI on my right knee. It is obliterated and probably should be replaced. This is going to cost me a $500 copay and it’s annoying.

My left knee is also a mess, though to a less urgent degree. I tore my meniscus when I was 15 and then probably tore my PCL last year coming off a jackass horse.

If I get both knees MRI’d, I’m guessing it’s going to be two copays -sigh- Of course I’m going to ask my doctor but I’d like to know if anyone has experience with this?

It depends on your insurance. Call or email your insurance company. We have Kaiser coverage. With our policy, it is the same $50 company whether they image one body part or lots of them. When we had a different Kaiser policy, we paid one $20 copayment that included an exam, two sets of lab work, a CT scan of two body areas, and a phone consultation with a surgeon.

Is that co-pay including your yearly deductable, if your plan has one? $500 seems high for a co-pay, but it all depends on the insurance policy. If you have a deductable, once it is met, your out of pocket expense should be lower on other tests.
Does the hospital have a payment plan? I have had to do that several times and the hospitals were good about setting one up.

[QUOTE=cayuse;8328900]
Is that co-pay including your yearly deductable, if your plan has one? $500 seems high for a co-pay, but it all depends on the insurance policy. If you have a deductable, once it is met, your out of pocket expense should be lower on other tests.
Does the hospital have a payment plan? I have had to do that several times and the hospitals were good about setting one up.[/QUOTE]

It’s a $500 copay per MRI, yes it is ridiculous. My insurance company is useless. I think the yearly deductible is $5k. And the MRI is a special expense so even if we do meet the deductible, the MRI is still $500 out of pocket. I know. I’ve paid it before.

I don’t know if the hospital has a payment plan, but I have acquired a Care Credit card for this purpose.

Wow, now that’s a deductable! I am so lucky that I have good insurance. I won’t complain about mine anymore, ever.
Hope you get some answers soon so you can get on the mend.