Unlimited access >

MSM Loading Dose question

Simple question:

10g to a scoop. 10g is the recommended daily dose and 20g (two scoops) is recommended for the loading dose.

My mare is 732lbs.

I hear mixed reviews regarding whether or not giving her 20g for the loading will be harmful. Some say it’s bad, some say they just pee out the extras…

does she need the loading dose? I know for IV or IM supplementation that loading can be important…but is MSM loading as important? Should I load my mare with 20g for a week as recommended? This recommendation is for an average horse (I assume) but I don’t know that cutting it in half is right for her weight either.

Loading will help your horse benefit sooner.

I would probably just do the two scoops. But if I was worried, I’d do 1.5 scoops (that’s loading for a 750# horse). When you go to maintenance, you should use 3/4 scoop if you are concerned about the “dose/weight”.

I looked online to see if there were concerns with overdosing with MSM and even what level was considered an overdose. I couldn’t find much, and what I did find did not seem to be concerned. Here’s an article that might be of help http://blog.smartpakequine.com/2010/06/joint-supplements-and-the-benefits-of-msm/

Honestly though, I’d just use two “short scoops” to load and one short scoop for maintenance (by short scoop, I mean not quite full, but don’t sweat it.)

My horse is only about 50 lbs. heavier than yours and he gets 20g as his maintenance dose. I figure he just pees out what he doesn’t need.

To make it easier for yourself, just find a scoop that holds slightly less than the one that came in the container.

The Horse Journal has old article that says for average horse most effective MSM dose for arthritis and severe allergies is 20,000 mg a day, so I think for smaller horse 15,000 -17,000 would work for these more severe issues or as loading dose. If you just looking for something to use as maintenance, preventative, for mild issues I would think 7500-8000 mg daily would be good. Loading dose before is ideal but not required. I have always read the pee out excess so I wouldnt be worried if you used 20,000 either