Unlimited access >

Mud at barn entrance - Fix

Hey Y’all,

I know mud has been on topic before but I didn’t quite see all my issues. I have a mother mucking mess at the entrance to my barn. Almost to the tops of my cheap rubber boots in spots. I want to get rid of it. And I would like for it to be like at several barns I’ve been to-gravel packed down, so I can easily get a wheel barrow over it. Right now I’m wearing myself out trying to get through this stuff. I honestly can’t get a wheelbarrow through it without an incredible effort and my stalls are suffering.

So, from what I read, you scrape it out, put down landscape cloth if you can afford it, then bigger rock, then little rock and pack it down. Is this what y’all have done?

How hard is this to do for the novice? I can rent a bob cat-is it something you can figure out? I am guessing that you should slope the dug out part away from the barn? Anyone know any videos or “how to’s”? And though I am cheap and money is definately important, I also can’t get anyone to come and do this small job.

I also work a 9-5 so it’s harder to do the research-especially coming in exhausted from fighting mud!

Ideas and stories of what you’ve done appreciated!

Regards,
Huntin’ Fool

where are you at, what is the soil type?
you probably need to do some serious work there, dig up the mud and compact gravel.
COTH has an advertiser selling mud sollutions, a grit to put across the mud - I see some issues with the pictures and expect to grit to eventually get sucked down though.

I am looking to get some similar grid to put in my driveway/front yard, but I have no mud issues.
For now I’d put planks over the mud to walk across and push the wheelbarrow over. Not a great fix, but should get you through the worst of mud season.

1 Like

You could try mud control grids – mudcontrolgrid.ca – I used some in my mare’s pasture to create a narrow pathway near the gate as the mud was really horrendous. They sit right on top of the mud, no need to dig down.

They’ve done their job so far for me, but I can see spots where the horses have mashed them into the mud a bit due to the fluctuating weather conditions (freeze/thaw, rain/snow) that they could do with being re-laid.

Ultimately you probably want a more permanent solution, but this could work in the interim and is nice because it’s quick and easy.

Does your barn have gutters and where does the water run off the roof?

Get a tractor, remove the mud. Then you can either add sand- works really well if you get beach sand or you can use gravel with landscape fabric. Just remember the water must go somewhere else- you have to have someplace for it to drain. You may want to grade the entire area to raise the ground by the barn and lower it somewhere else.

1 Like

good point about the source of the water!

Until you resolve your mud problems, you can lay down temporary wood/plywood and use those to walk on and drive wheelbarrow over.

We have cut 4’ x 8’ sheets lengthwise and walked on those while adding polycarbonate sheets to the whole North length of the barn, over the drainage ditch there, that was a mud hole.
4 was enough and portable.

You could also clean stalls until fixed with a manure cart and bucket you can drag thru mudholes easier than push a wheelbarrow in that mess.

1 Like

I had a similar problem as you. About 3 (maybe 4) years ago, I waited until summer when everything was dry, ordered 2 loads of crushed asphalt millings, and had a load dropped at each end of the barn aisle. My neighbor brought his Bobcat over to spread it and even it out.

I did no prep/site work. I ordered enough that I had a good 10” layer after packing it down. They have remained smooth, stable, and mud-free. Each truckload covered about a 20’ x 20’ area.

3 Likes

Scrape the mud off down to firmer ground and if you have it available put down gravel screenings. It packs almost immediately and stays hard no matter how much rain, snow you get.

I put this down in my horses dry lot & under the lean to and the mud is gone. Also put it in where I am feeding out a steer and had the same results.

1 Like