Unlimited access >

Mud Control Grids or something else?

Just as the title says. I gave a gooshy area by the gate of my goat pen that I’d like to address. I was looking at these two options:

https://www.hahnplastics.com/ca/products/ground-reinforcement-and-surfaces/mud-control-grids/344/mud-control-grids

I’ve attached photos of the area in question. Walking on 2x4s isn’t cutting it anymore. I know I’m going to bust my butt one day. Plus, the muck isn’t good for goatie feet = hoof rot.

There are several brands and varieties of grid systems that work. I have Hoof Grid in my runs and in front of my gates. When I had them installed it changed my horse life for the better, times 1000! You will never regret doing a system to manage the mud.

I moved to a new place last fall and putting more Hoof Grid down was the first project I did. I couldn’t face winter and spring with mud after 15 mud-free years in my old barn.

1 Like

The best approach would be to first scrape off the organic matter and clay off, both of which are holding moisture, then put down some geotextile, compacted stonedust, and finally, gravel. For such a low-stress use (ie people and goats), I’m not sure I’d bother with those grids.

5 Likes

I put in VersaGrids in my pasture last year by the gate and it made a HUGE difference. The front of the field has a tendency to flood in the winter and the whole area gets wrecked. Last year it came through great and I spent a whole lot less time in the mud. I plan to expand it some this year to each side of the gate.

You won’t regret it.

I tend to agree, though excavating can be pricey, if you don’t have your own bobcat/excavator and have to hire the job out. I actually have a bunch of Lighthoof grids ($$$) gathering dust somewhere, because when I came right down to it, for my situation it was more bother to go with something even as relatively low-tech as the grids, when excavating the mud and replacing it with gravel and stonedust ( didn’t even bother with geotextile) looked good and worked well. I can walk through the paddock wearing pretty work shoes after a few days of rain, and be fine, now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback. I was really hoping for something I could just plop down on top of the mud. It drives me nuts when it gets muddy and stays muddy. It also rains everyday in the summer. There is no resistance if you step on it- it’s straight slush for 2 or 3 inches. Of course the goats all congregate there too. It is where they go to beg, after all.

I’m in and out of the pen minimum 3 times a day, usually more. I also have to take my elder goat outside the fence twice a day to eat since the young ones pester him during feeding time.

Maybe I’m being too picky :joy:.

1 Like

I’ve heard really good things about the Hahn plastic grids and that you can just throw them down. I want to buy some but the only dealer is a bit of a drive and shipping is stupid.

1 Like

Soooo…where are you located… and would you sell them? :joy::grin:

1 Like

That’s what I really want, but they are $$$. I did have a consignment saddle that just sold, so I’m still twirling the idea around.

Some girls buy shoes and clothes and horse girls buy mud grids :joy:

5 Likes

:grinning: I would love to sell them!

I’m in Massachusetts, where it has been raining for like two weeks… but I don’t care because the fella’s feet are clean, and the hay tossed into his paddock stays clean and edible, and I can drop in and visit my man when I’m driving by for my job, and my shoes stay clean. The fella has decided it’s funny to drool soaked hay cubes across my back as I’m leaning over, so my clothes may have barn on them, but, my shoes are fine.

I definitely think someone should buy the Hahn plastic grids and do a thorough report on how they work and whether they are really worth the cost. :joy: Based on the advertising I want them for some mushy areas on my ‘trail’ around the property but… they are $$$$ especially with shipping.

I am allergic to permanent infrastructure these days so I really like that (they say) you can put them down without much ground prep then pick them up and move them later.

2 Likes

I will report back if I get them! Cashmans has them in stock and if you buy 100 they are a quarter off.

1 Like

I’m looking for some, if they’re not already gone. :grinning:

I’m going to tag on to this post as I’m in the same situation as the OP … so much rain, and so much mud. The only difference is that the barn isn’t mine, and I realize what’s a bother to ME isn’t necessarily a bother to the person running/affording the place, so I’d be fronting the cost of these myself. Field in question is not only used for my little mare, there are sometimes other boarder’s horses turned out in there too, however, other boarders have left in the past because of the mud.

It’s worse in front of the run-in and by the gate (basically, anywhere I or the horses need to be). Would a small handful of these grids still make a difference, and could I take them with me if I ever moved?

I think the Hahn plastics ones would be good for your situation. You could take them with you, but they’re kind of expensive. Looks like you just slap them down and you’re done.

I ended up going with the HexPave ones. They’re light and easy to use, but you have to put fill over top of them and honestly I don’t think they’d be robust enough for horses. They work just fine for my goats though.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. It’s tough because I absolutely see the value in a product like this and what a difference it would make to a dry lot (aka the turnout in question) but I can’t justify spending much if it’s not my property or solely my own horses!

Assuming I don’t need to buy a whole skid of it, I think I’ll try a small handful to manage the absolute worst parts by the gate and just hope the barn manager falls in love with the stuff once she sees it in action and orders some :grin:

I am installing 24 of the Lighthoof mud grids on two sides of my dry lot. Last winter (I’m in MA) we had so much rain that the corner of those two sides was mud more often than not – and of course that is the favorite napping spot, so they would nap standing in the mud. We are going to fill with 3/8 minus. I’d be happy to report back on how it works.

1 Like

How interesting.
Sounds like a great idea.

Yes, please report and if you may, with pictures?

1 Like

Did you get the grids? May we see pics please?!

1 Like

I did get the grids! So far the ones in my outdoor wash stall have been installed (literally last week). The dry lot is still waiting to be done.

I will try to post some pics but it honestly just looks like 3/8 minus, because it covers up the grids. :slight_smile:

We haven’t had enough rain since they got installed for me to truly evaluate them. Maybe I’ll wait until we get a good rain and then post some photos.

I can report that the spots with the grids doesn’t feel any different to me than the areas without them, which is in my mind a good thing. All the good stuff is happening underneath the surface.

2 Likes