Unlimited access >

Mud management when boarding

I’ve read a lot of old posts on using the grids and gravel but most seem to grade down and then do it.

I board and I don’t have the money to have the paddocks graded but was wondering if I could fill in the ditches created by water runoff, put the grids on top, and then fill with gravel.

Would it last long enough to be worth the expense or should I just add gravel?

I’d like to bring in some sand too. Just enough for a nice roll and a nap.

I’ve recently run across these grids that are meant to be put on top of the problem areas without much prep.

They are not cheap, but they’re also not permanent – they appear to be hard plastic and can be picked up later. If you are planning to take them with you I’d make sure to have a written agreement with the barn owner that this is not a donation to their facility.

1 Like

If the water naturally runs through there, filling in the ditches would cause the water to collect elsewhere. I think you’d be better to dig the ditches out enough to put down a small plastic culvert and then put gravel over the culvert. I did this in a few places in my pasture. The ditches hold the water until it naturally seeps back into the ground. Alternatively, you could build a small dirt berm to keep water out of the paddock but that will also result in the water collecting elsewhere. The barn owner may be willing to come up with a solution if boarders offer to contribute to the cost.

Most of the paddock is on a slope so the water goes where it wants and has made a lot of deep ruts.

The flat part at the fence I wasn’t going to do anything to because it floods from the creek every time we get a big rain.

I may get some panels like @wsmoak posted and put them at the gates for hay bags but I think if those ruts keep getting deeper they could cause an injury.

They might not and I may be worrying for nothing. I’m very good at that.

Oh, I am also an expert at worrying so I’m not judging you there! Based on those photos, I think the chances of injury are minimal l.