Unlimited access >

Mules

Wondering if anyone has done any trails with a mule? Any experiences or training advice.

I bought a 5 year old belgian mule shes 15hh and hoping to eventually start her under saddle. Shes had a rough start so we are taking everything very slow.

i have two mules. Both rescues. The big one came with serious issues. Iā€™m not getting aboard her unless i get the feeling we can both enjoy it. Right now, one year after adopting her, sheā€™s finally my good friend. But that has taken a year! She was raised well, but landed in three successive bad homes. And her history is having successfully bucked off three [professional] mule ā€˜trainersā€™. I think itā€™s a good thing she finally has an R+ female owner. If all she ever does is grace my pastures iā€™ll be perfectly fine.

The other one, omgā€¦heā€™s the cutest, smartest, most agreeable trail mount in the whole world. Perfectly safe. And as loveable as they come. EVERYBODY who meets him loves himā€¦and he just loves people. It took awhile to get a good saddle fit, eventually trailered him to southern missouri to a custom mule saddle maker. (crestridge). Before that i was hacking him in my ole trustworthy Thorowgood T4. But, after that saddle going halfway up his neck when we were going down a steep hill, and then another day, on a flat trailā€¦just sliding round his side and under his belly, (with me ending up underneath him!)ā€¦and him standing stockstill!! i bit-the-bullet hand had one made for him.

He was 5 when i got him from the humane society, i had him greenbacked there. He started off like he was born knowing how to be ridden.

I think the main thing with a mule is they need to be your friend. Theyā€™re very loyal and do not forget anything. (Or be dead broke and ridden to deathā€“thinking grand canyon trail riding mules)

1 Like

Ditto the above. With longerears, itā€™s all about positive reinforcement. They have a lot of self preservation, and donā€™t like to do things that they deep are ā€œbusy workā€ or have no purpose. So, you wonā€™t get far with a long ears by endless lunging. Just go down, reward often, and gain her trust, and you will have a friend for life.

4 Likes