Unlimited access >

My Back Needs Your Help! Need input on CC saddle options with cushy seats

So tell me more about the Stubben Biomex!!! Currently sidelined due to SI dysfunction, but mostly sacrum issues and this sounds perfect. I love my saddle, but this may be what I need. Does anyone now the approximate costs on a new Stubben VSD Genesis? Wondering if these are 5k saddles or 3k. Thanks.

My Albion Kontrol is a couch and feels as if it was made for my body.

Strangely the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in seat wise was my Bates.

I currently own a Pessoa and it’s comfortable but not as much as my old bates.

I found my Older county more comfortable than a new county I rode in. I found the new one very uncomfortable.

The worst saddle by far has been the HDR. That thing was horrible. My pancake Collegiate was much more comfortable than my HDR.

[QUOTE=Hunter/JumperMom;8537535]
So tell me more about the Stubben Biomex!!! Currently sidelined due to SI dysfunction, but mostly sacrum issues and this sounds perfect. I love my saddle, but this may be what I need. Does anyone now the approximate costs on a new Stubben VSD Genesis? Wondering if these are 5k saddles or 3k. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Closer to 3K. The online catalog lists that model as “starting at $2895.” Add about $300 for the Biomex.

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/12/StubbenOnlineCatalog.pdf

You might look for a used Stubben Zetia Optimum. I recently ordered one custom after trying a bunch of different saddles. I have bad neck,back,hips and knees,

[QUOTE=Hunter/JumperMom;8537535]
So tell me more about the Stubben Biomex!!! Currently sidelined due to SI dysfunction, but mostly sacrum issues and this sounds perfect. I love my saddle, but this may be what I need. Does anyone now the approximate costs on a new Stubben VSD Genesis? Wondering if these are 5k saddles or 3k. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Make sure you try both the biomex and the soft seat. I preferred the soft seat but it was a tough call. I have some bursitis in my seat bones and found the biomex to press on those points too hard.
I assume you’ve tried Greenway? How about Pinnacle Peak saddlery? I bought a used Albion from them and found they had a good selection.

[QUOTE=1SassyDoc;8537186]
Oh, I found plenty about Biomex after you turned me on to them - it just did not come up in previous searches of “comfortable close contact saddles,” “comfortable jump saddles,” “soft seat…” etc. Once you sent the link, it was very easy to find![/QUOTE]

Well, I’m glad you started this thread, then. Stubben has had a hard time shaking that reputation that all their saddles are well made, but hard as a rock and out of fashion. The fitter I had was actually a German in his 70s who had been with the company a long time and knew “old Mr. Stubben.” He told me that old Mr. Stubben was very stubborn about conforming to trends, especially for the American market. Now that a younger, more market-savvy generation has taken over the company, we’re seeing new models that are more appealing to today’s riders. They still make and carry the old Siegfried that was so popular for so long, but even that saddle has a softer seat than the old vintage ones.

There is a niche for Stubben, and they are filling it nicely IMO. Their saddles are much better quality than some of the cheaper saddles (HDR, MToulouse, etc.) and more reasonably priced than the high end French saddles (CWD, Antares, etc.).

[QUOTE=SonnysMom;8534182]
I second looking at the newer Stubbens. They are nothing like the old Siegfried saddles. My BO just got a dressage saddle and even without the Biomex it is nice and cushy. I tried some of the CC saddles about 3.5 years ago and while they didn’t work for my horse they were very comfortable.

The CWDs are very comfortable and you might be able to pick up a used for slightly more than your budget. I see them around $2,500 on FB.

I tried the Black Country and they were comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Needing to replace ALL of my saddles with just one for the moment…since our barn burned to the ground 3 weeks ago…I’ve ridden in Stubbens…the “Lowengrin” for 50 years and my newest was a “modern” Siegfried…all smooth leather. I ended up buying a Stubben, Roxanne Deluxe, AP. I’ve only sat in it on a rack since I am still missing other essential riding needs…but it seems deep and cushy!! The Stubben site recommends this model for Jumping, hunting and cross country riding. It seems to have a softer, deeper seat than the Siegfried on the Stubben site and in person.

^^I have a Roxane AP also, bought last spring. I am just in love with it.

I thought of the Stubben Biomex as soon as I saw the title of the thread! I’ve sat in a few of the Zaria Optimum with Biomex and they’re more comfortable than my couch is. The “new” Stubbens are great - all the Stubben quality of old but a LOT more comfortable and with more modern bells and whistles. You can also get a full custom Stubben for about the price of an off the rack French saddle.

I swear the County Stabilizer is a cloud. Hands down the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in. I ended up buying an Innovation, because the fit and style worked better for me. I do love the Innovation, but it doesn’t quite have that “cush” of the Stabilizer.

Several years ago I rode in a County Stabilizer and found it comfy but it diid not fit my horse. I bought a L’Apogee, which I love… Also the Delgrange saddles are comfy and so is Black Country.
I would not only check Trumbull Mountain but Maryland Tack exchange, and Fine used Saddles.