Unlimited access >

My Back Needs Your Help! Need input on CC saddle options with cushy seats

Hi all,

I’m new to the site, and found it while researching CC saddles. I am in AZ, and while there is a small H/J contingent in the Phoenix area, Western rules the land, and there are extremely limited shopping options to try actual saddles.

Due to coming off a horse I was starting several years ago, I sustained a pelvic fracture in addition to already having back issues (WORD TO THE YOUNGSTERS - when you get older, you no longer “bounce” when you come off, so at some point you have to try to cut back on the dumb stuff…At least that is what they tell me…! ;)).

Thus, I have been in a constant search for a good CC saddle that basically rides as couch-like as possible! I had a Bates Caprilli for awhile, an older Ovation that I just used for schooling (NOT that comfy!), and now have a barely-used KB (Keith Bryan - England) jump saddle that is pretty comfortable… BUT THEN I sat in a couple of the newer HDRs and, although I have not been a fan due to concerns about quality, I have NEVER sat in a CC saddle that is so comfortable!!

So - I need the input of the community - I would like to keep price to under 2K, open to used, but the KB is newer and has the newer materials, and the HDRs are STILL more comfortable, so I’m not sure how cushy older saddles will be.

I’m somewhat tall (5’8") with longer leg, but probably within normal sizing. I am looking at doing hunters and flat classes - just doing schooling shows to get back into the swing of things and get my OTTB mare going, and then move up to rated shows. I sat in the HDR Devrel Classic and it was VERY comfortable, but it has the fancy contrast stitching and I think this is going to be in and out of style pretty quickly.

I have been looking at the M. Toulouse saddles online but styling is a little funky on some models and I don’t know anything about seat comfort. German brands are out - I already know that. I don’t need all calfskin - grain is fine for me, but sticky seat would be nice. Don’t want jumper saddle if I’m doing hunters, but would like to feel fine at 2’6" - 3’6", even though I will probably just school at that height after awhile.

All right - thanks for letting me ramble! I welcome your input - especially from those of you who, like me, have “been around the block” and possibly, “on the ground” more than necessary, because I remember the days when I was 15 years old and I thought the hard-as-a-rock Crosby PDNs were just fine!! Not anymore…:no:

This one just had the price lowered. I haven’t seen photos of your horse but this would be a typical OTTB type set up and is also a comfy saddle in your price range:

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/demo-and-used-saddles/used-jump-saddles/seat-sizes-18-to-19/black-country-quantum-18-mnm-tr-wg/

Why are you eliminating German brands? Maybe you should look into the Stubben Biomex seat. It’s designed for people with back problems. They offer it in a lot of models, including several close-contact ones. Some of the newer models are gorgeous and would look great in any hunter ring.

You’re probably not going to find a new one in your price range, but they pop up used fairly often. Stubben quality is excellent. I do not have a bad back, but I certainly have “been around the block”–I’m 59. I have a Roxane with a Biomex seat, and I love it. Mine is cowhide with calfskin seat and knee pads.

Here’s info on the Biomex option:

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/biomex-seats/

My advice is to call a Stubben fitter, find a model that works, and then look for it used. The fitter may even be able to help you find one.

My County Innovation is like a couch. A lovely, lovely couch that allows me to jump large things and not hurt my fragile wittle back. The last time I hurt my back I couldn’t ride for months, so consider this a serious endorsement!

I second looking at the newer Stubbens. They are nothing like the old Siegfried saddles. My BO just got a dressage saddle and even without the Biomex it is nice and cushy. I tried some of the CC saddles about 3.5 years ago and while they didn’t work for my horse they were very comfortable.

The CWDs are very comfortable and you might be able to pick up a used for slightly more than your budget. I see them around $2,500 on FB.

I tried the Black Country and they were comfortable.

I had a black country, and it murdered my back due to the wide twist and thick wool panels. I switched to an antares and between the stickability, the soft seat, the soft panels, and an ogilvy pad, my back has never felt better and I feel almost no impact while riding anymore.

[QUOTE=Dewey;8534100]
Why are you eliminating German brands? Maybe you should look into the Stubben Biomex seat. It’s designed for people with back problems. They offer it in a lot of models, including several close-contact ones. Some of the newer models are gorgeous and would look great in any hunter ring.

You’re probably not going to find a new one in your price range, but they pop up used fairly often. Stubben quality is excellent. I do not have a bad back, but I certainly have “been around the block”–I’m 59. I have a Roxane with a Biomex seat, and I love it. Mine is cowhide with calfskin seat and knee pads.

Here’s info on the Biomex option:

http://stubbennorthamerica.com/biomex-seats/

My advice is to call a Stubben fitter, find a model that works, and then look for it used. The fitter may even be able to help you find one.[/QUOTE]

I second this. The new Stubbens are very different from those of yore. And just seeing your title, before reading the full OP, the biomex seat is the first thing I thought of.

The newer Stubbens are nice, but I do recommend making sure you try it. They offer a lot of customization with seat padding, so it can be padded up and nice and soft, or it can be more minimal and much harder. I have an off-the-rack 2008 Portos for a backup saddle that rides like a park bench (honestly looks like one too), but it gets the job done and I wouldn’t be surprised if it outlives me. But, I also rode in a couple of custom new ones and they were very soft, comfortable, and more attractive.

French saddles in general are known for having the soft couch seat. I also have an Antares and a CWD on the way, both of which are verrrry comfortable and a far cry from my Stubben.

I was going to suggest the Stubben Biomex seat. I have no experience with that seat but it was developed for people with back problems and Stubben is a quality product and reputable firm. Worth looking into I would think.

The French saddles are very cushy, you might find something used in your price range.

I’d say your best bet at finding a cushy seat would be to look for a used french saddle. CWD, Antares, Devoucoux, etc. even an older used model will be more comfortable then a new “cheap” saddle.

I’ve ridden in a couple of the Spooners by Antares and even though they’re off the rack they’re beautiful saddles for a much more realistic price.

CWD’s 2GS has an amazing gel seat. The 2G version may have the same thing, not sure. I know its not typically going to be found in your budget, but I mention it because there are occasional deals to be had. I tried one that would have been pretty close to your budget this summer. It didn’t work for me twist wise, but the seat itself was incredible.

[QUOTE=Backstage;8535474]
CWD’s 2GS has an amazing gel seat. The 2G version may have the same thing, not sure. I know its not typically going to be found in your budget, but I mention it because there are occasional deals to be had. I tried one that would have been pretty close to your budget this summer. It didn’t work for me twist wise, but the seat itself was incredible.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if a lot of people got new Saddles for winter circuit or what but there seem to be a lot for sale right now and prices seem to be low relative to the new price.

OP, before spending money on a new saddle, try a new pad. I have a friend with a VERY bad back…and a VERY bouncy horse. She swears by a Toklat pad that has inserts (they might be the ultracell inserts but I’m not 100% on that and there are a TON of options with Toklat). She says it makes a HUGE difference in her ability to ride comfortably. You can try a pad for about $100 and maybe it will work and then your not out thousands.

Let me know if you would like me to ask my friend about the specific pad

My Antates is so comfy. My trainer sighs whenever she sinks into it when she needs to pop onto my guy for a school.

The model is some sort of “Hunter” version or edition, I think? The calfskin is just gilding the lily, but that’s how I do:)

I had not heard about the Biomex seat - Stubben historically has “harder” seats - I did sit in a (I think?) Roxane at the same time I sat in the HDR, and HDR far and away “couchier” but def did not have the biomex seat. Thanks for the info and link! :slight_smile:

Sooooo - After I made my post last night I continued searching/researching, and besides not finding anything about the Biomex (!) in my search (Stubben needs to do some search engine optimization on that one, LOL), you are all confirming what I started to see as a trend - higher quality saddles = couchier seats (couchier is my new word - can we pretend it’s French?) :winkgrin:

Sounds like a short road trip to Thermal may be in order - most of the major makers are there as vendors and it would be a good opportunity to try a bunch of the newer designs and move to older models from there…?

Keep the suggestions coming, please! My KB is pretty comfortable but I am looking for even more cush!

OP, I am confused about why you can’t find anything about Biomex seats. What information exactly are you looking for? Used models? There are a bunch of them right on the Stubben website. There are some on ebay.

Are you looking for some medical info about the Biomex seat beyond what is published by Stubben on their site? The Stubben rep told me Stubben developed the seat after someone designed a similar one for bicycle racers. I don’t know how true that is; I took it at face value.

At any rate, I don’t recommend an HDR even though they are trying to make their saddles “French-style” at an affordable price. They are not that well made IMO.

You would probably love one of the high-end French brands that have been recommended on this thread. The trouble is that they cost more, some models a lot more. I don’t know if you can find a decent used one is your price range.

Oh, I found plenty about Biomex after you turned me on to them - it just did not come up in previous searches of “comfortable close contact saddles,” “comfortable jump saddles,” “soft seat…” etc. Once you sent the link, it was very easy to find!

I also have a couch-y County Innovation - everyone who has sat in it, loves it, including a diehard CWD 2GS devotee. I got it unused but secondhand for about $2500. That said, I think experimenting with twist will do a lot for you in terms of comfort, and I know a number of people swear by ThinLine pads to reduce back pain. I fractured my L5 forever ago but didn’t feel a difference with the ThinLine. My saddle has a pretty medium twist but I cannot go wider without killing my back. If you can find a Barsby Shockemohle, I found that very comfortable. Plenty of good things to be said about a Stubben as well, and they might be the most budget friendly option.

I played this game for a while and was lucky enough to be able to try out about a dozen different saddle brands and models (busy boarding/training farm and nice folks!). At the end of the day, a nice high end French made saddle with a Thinline under it is the BEST answer I could find. Older compression fractures in my T spine and a newer one in my pelvis created a real need for cushion and security. I personally went with the Devoucoux Socoa because I liked the seat width as well as the cush. Its older (an 01’ or 05’, I forget) but in great shape and was under $2k. There are some good threads here explaining how to interpret the flap stamps, but because I’m shorter with a longer femur I needed a 2A flap (average length, forward). As a bonus, it has fit most everything I’ve put it on, with a little shimming or bumping here and there. I learned a lot on this search, please message me if you have any questions.