Unlimited access >

My eventing prospect's pedigree

This is my new eventing prospect Moneypenny, I need a bit of help with deciphering her pedigree. TIA

Pedigree- http://www.racingaustralia.horse/FreeServices/PedigreeReport.aspx?RefNo=8980255

Photos-
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/TemrahEquestrian/media/image_zpsa3q9nu4k.jpg.html?filters[user]=145923779&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/TemrahEquestrian/media/image_zpsboof7slw.jpg.html?filters[user]=145923779&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

It’s very nice. I looked at it and then the pictures…I wouldn’t kick her out of my barn!

There are a look of good names in her pedigree. The two that jumped out a me were Giant Causeway. I’ve loved many of his offspring and have a lovely grandson of his myself. Nice athletes. Good movers. Smart and sensitive.

Kaoru Star is also lovely. Many UL eventers with him. Those are just two names but there are a lot of others.

Have fun with her!!

Links to pictures aren’t working, error message

I also can’t get the pictures to work, but what a nice pedigree on paper!

I’m not even going to pretend to be an expert on eventing bloodlines, but as someone involved in US thoroughbred breeding and racing, I like what I see a lot.

Shamardal is one athletic individual and has done well for himself as a sire. I’m a little surprised one can easily pick up a daughter of his for eventing in Australia, as his European fee has remained pretty high throughout most of his career. In the US, the fillies of an equivalently successful sire would generally have residual value as broodmares. The Storm Cat sire line has developed a good reputation for throwing the ability to jump, and Shamardal certainly looks like he could live up to that reputation.

On the bottom side of the pedigree, Kingmambo has consistently been one of my favorite sires of all time because of the type and personality of his offspring. Good brains have always been prepotent through him, and I would expect King’s Best to continue to the trend, especially with the German influence. I think he’s in Japan now?

What I know about Australian eventing bloodlines could barely fill a thimble, but Kaoru Star has come up again and again in TB sport pedigrees.

The damside is incredible: you have some very good blood there… I would love a mare with Allegretta up close…

Kaoru Star is a very, very good name to have in a pedigree, for good reason. His sire, Star Kingdom, needs no introduction when it comes to eventing pedigrees - he is known for movement and jump talent - and Kaoru (Kaoru Star’s dam) brings a long line of fleetness, sturdiness and staying talent.

Overall it is an excellent pedigree. I would expect a better than average mover; Shamardal’s sire, GC, is one of the best modern stallions for throwing movement propensity, IMHO - Shamardal himself is a very good mover, excellent gallop - and his damside has some pretty powerful sport names. There is a lot of Hyperion in this mare’s pedigree; Hyperion is one of the better sources for ‘dressage movement’ in modern TBs.

I can’t get over how nice the damside is…

Like Texarkana, I am a big fan of Kingmambo. Kingmambo is a US horse that has put some very sporty types on the ground, I am watching his offspring with interest as they are very nice and IMHO generous, good athletes. I love seeing Nureyev in a pedigree - that stallion was incredible; and he passes on good looks and JUMP TALENT with capital letters.

Then there’s Allegretta… who is the dam of Urban Sea… granddam of two INCREDIBLE horses, Galileo and Sea The Stars…

So like Texarkana, I am surprised she was not retained for broodmare duties.

I couldn’t see the pictures, but off of the pedigree alone I would expect a fairly ‘heavy’ TB type once mature. GC has put some sons out there that are very noble looking and big of frame - as has Kingmambo… Another thing to consider - no Giant’s Causeway son I have known ever throws quick-maturing horses. They need time to grow and can look more mature physically than they really are… so I would be taking my time with her; she’s six, so probably fairly close to done growing, but even her dam-side has slow maturing stallions up close.

Updat: Proud Mum Moment

Temrah Moneypenny had her fourth ride today and she is going amazing! She is starting to go at all three paces well and is jumping great. Also she is the laziest horse I’ve met! We have a two day school coming up early January and hopefully a Heath Ryan clinic if there is a spot… Fingers crossed.