Unlimited access >

My Feet hurt

OK, I have also suffered terribly from heel spurs/plantar fasciitis, and no amount of treatement from a podiatrist has helped. I’ve also done the internet research and am still suffering quite a bit.

I HAVE found that flat shoes are the absolute worst, sneakers not much better. The only footwear I have found comfortable is a pair of slip-on sandles I bought really cheap but they fit my foot/sole/arch perfectly and give just the right support. I wear them at home all the time.

But… I cannot wear them all winter! So, Dansko clogs? Is there a particular style or model that people like best? Any additional fitting advice? I am so excited I may have another option - foot pain is a real killer!

OMG, you were all SO right about Dansko’s!

Maybe it is premature to be rejoicing, but:

This morning at 10:30 AM I tried on a pair of the “Professionals” - immediately I could tell they were different than other shoes. I felt as though my feet were sighing in relief, as in: “Ahhhhh!”

I wore them out of the shop, spent 3 hours Christmas shopping at the mall, and it is now almost 6 hours later altogether, and my feet feel great!! Normally I cannot tolerate the mall, and just a normal day on my feet knocks them out as well. We’re talking throbbing pain.

My feet are thanking you!! If this keep up I see an assortment of Dansko’s in my future!

Have you tried insoles? I don’t know if they’d work but perhaps if your shoes are comfortable, they still are not offering enough in the ways of support?

Dansko clogs rock! Loooooove mine. Wear them all the time: to work (we’re casual), to play, and to the barn. And they come in really fun colors!

You could also get some walking shoes as other poster’s recommended. I have some Ecco’s that I use for walking (not for barn) that are pretty darn comfy and water resistant.

Congrats on the new job! I seem to remember you were kinda frustrated at your old one. I’m glad you found somethin you enjoy.

Am I the invisible poster of this thread?? What about this massage thing???

Barb

HMS…

You are one of US now!! Live, love and enjoy them as we do.

I was just about to suggest insoles or those cool gel ones…i have arch inserts for my running shoes and it’s great…it sounds like you need some more support since you are on your feet all day!!! Maybe I’ll get my dream job just like you some day!!! I worked at a barn like you before I moved to Long Island and maybe someday, I’ll get back to it!!

Barb

I have a pair of the mountain horse paddock boots and I find them to be very comfortable. I actually feel the little cushy spring from the soles when I walk. I walk really fast and pound on my feet a lot and these boots suport my feet and legs very well. They help my feet last through 8 hours of laps around the huge indoor where I teach.

HSM-
I have/had plantar fascitis and heel spurs too! I would wake up with the most intense throbbing, burning pain in my feet every morning…until I got my daskos. Since I’ve starting wearing them I’ve had NO MORE foot pain (with the exception of my toe that was crunched this summer by a horsie) I started off with a pair of the closed back professional clogs - they run about 90-100 dollars - mine are 3 years old and are in great shape…the stiching is starting to go on the sides, but seems like it can be easily replaced. I can not say enough good things about them. It takes some time to get used to them, and I still fall over sometimes (the dangers of wearing clogs and being uncoordinated!) In fact I have them on right now!

My second pair of dansko clogs are a style that they don’t make anymore - I’m not sure of the name, but they are identical to the clogs except they are a lace up boot. The bottom is the same as the clogs - they are not the paddock boots…I don’t have experience with them. I bought those in august because I kept tripping while running in my dansko clogs while jogging horses (I’m a vet student).

I agree that Ariats are comfortable - I wear mine alot - but if I know I’m going to be on my feet all day I wear my danskos - I’ve also found that the clogs made my back and knee pain go away too – BUY THEM they are well worth the $$!
Cathy

HSM:

Glad my advice was helpful - I can’t live without my clogs…hope your feet are happy from now on. Please keep us updated.
Cathy

I have ariats paddocks and think they are the most comfortable things around but they don’t offer much support for standing and doing physical labor like you do all day…arch inserts are great!

Barb

My feet were miserable even in my beloved Blundstones until I figured out that (1) the Blundstones were nice and wide but had no support and (2) the Danskos keep your feet off the cold ground, which was the real problem for me. Danskos and fun fun fun socks!

Congrats on the new job! Good for you!

Oh man I know what you mean. I was a road manager for many years and was just dying from foot pain. I don’t know why this business is so hard on the feet. I swear by those slip on sneaker-hiker shoes with the rubber soles(NIKE). It’s the only thing that works for me.