Unlimited access >

My Feet hurt

Ok, so I work full-time at the barn now…8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I LOVE it. This is my dream job. Happy as a clam in the mud. But WHY do my feet hurt so much??

In my previous job (remember…tv videographer) I was on my feet all day, schlepping around 100 pounds of equipment, so I’m no stranger to physical labor. My new gig (managing the riding school) I am on my feet all day, tacking horses, grooming, coordinating lessons etc… It’s been a shade over a month now and the insteps of my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk.

I wear either my sneakers or my Ariat paddock boots both of which fit very comfortably. There is some deep sandy terrain to walk through but only IN the arena. so why do my feet hurt so much? A muscle strain would’ve worked itself out by now (if I were using muscles that have been dormant like when you start excercising again).

Anybody else in the field suffer from foot muscle pain??

I second the Superfeet insoles. I have them in my hiking boots and I can wear those for a week without my feet being sore.

I went through two pairs of Ariat paddocks in two years. The first pair still felt comfy after a summer on a horse ranch, but when I wore them to teach lessons all day the following year my feet ached. I bought a new pair, which were of course much stiffer against my foot, and that made all the difference. It’s the whole “shoes wear out from the inside first” kind of thing.

I have narrow heels and wide toes (think of flipper feet), and the Dansko’s were too wide and flopped. Does anyone know if they come in different widths?

I decided to dig up this thread, because I went out today and bought my THIRD pair of Dansko’s!! I LOVE these things - my feet are sooooo happy! Two painful years wasted on useless podiatry treatment and countless attempts at finding the right shoes.

Today I bought a pair of their boots (while my daughter grumbled that we were in a tack shop and how come I was getting new boots and she wasn’t - LOL!). They are great! Yesterday I was chatting with a woman while we waited for our cars to be ready and she too was a “believer” - said she has 5 pairs and they have “changed her life”. If I weren’t myself a convert to this strange cult, I would have thought she was nuts!

So to all of the other Dansko lovers on this thread, my feet thank you, and I thank you!

This job was the best move I’ve made in a long time! I was thinking about arch supports or those dr. Scholl’s insoles…or what about those Phase 4 Orthotics they have on tv??

Perhaps I should invest in a decent pair of walking shoes, instead of my $35 Fila’s?

OHH!! Maybe I’ll try some Danskos for Christmas…the hubby keeps asking what i want!!! HMM!! Good idea!

Barb

Mine are called Professionals and are the best to start with. I have 5 pairs of these in several colors. I have a pair of Bridgettes that have the elastic on the side ( for when I sprain my ankle and need to wear an ace bandage and new a “fat shoe” to hobble around in. I just bought a pair with the elastic on the side, in black, with the punched toe design around the ankle. Very nice and dressy!!!

I just bought a pair of Danskos last week…OMG I love them!!! I have a bad back and I can stay on my feet longer with the Danskos than any other shoe…even my Ariat paddock boots. Never thought I’d find another shoe more comfy than the Ariats, but I guess you learn something new every day!

Well how about a nice foot massage from your boyfriend??? that always makes you feel better…and get some foot soak and peppermint foot lotion…pamper those feet!!

Barb

Thanks Cathy and Kennett Square for the shopping advice! I am headed to the tack shop anyway to pick up daughter’s expensive bridle , so I will also try to get myself a Christmas gift while there! Thanks!

Walking shoes are a great idea!!! Or maybe some supportive work-type boots with more arch support and ankle support??? Sneakers arent’ the best thing around horses…they get so dirty too!!! and in case of the occasional foot being stepped on??

Barb

Ohhh, another vote for the Dansko clogs! It will pain you to get them dusty and dirty, but OMG are they every comfy! I wear mine almost every day to work, and have worn them brand new walking around a horse show with no sore feet, knees, OR back - now THAT’S a first!

I found mine on ebay. Just type dansko in the search and you will be surprised at the number of styles and sizes available. There is some shoeguy, I think his name was Jason that sent mine. They had been advertised for around 105.00 up from 99. I got mine for 83.00.

Of course I had sized them at a tack shop so I knew exactly what I wanted. I always feel so chintzy doing that to retailers that inventory merchandise, but oh well…I am sure I will spend my fair share with them at some time.

And I love them. No back issues after wearing all day. And even if they get dusty or dirty they wipe clean very easily.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Get a pair of the Dansko clogs!! I swear by them. I wear them all day long at shows and I have bone spurs in both feet and they help keep me sound. They tend to be wider in the foot so your foot has room to expand as the day gets longer and breath better. Plus they have the Dansko riding boots too now if you ride during the day.

If your toe hits the end of the clog, they are too small (the clog, that is, not your toe!).

I normally wear a 5-1/2 shoe, wear Dansko size 36.

Enjoy!

I have had bunions since I was 15!!! I got measured for my boots and the lady was horrified at my feet! I also have this boney thing that sticks out of the back of my heel, its a little offset but its kinda like a spur rest or something… Does anyone know what that might be??

person here, it’s all I wear and the paddock boots are to die for, I was not so sure about them since the heels are like the clogs, but I LOVE THEM

Superfeet!! Insoles, can get them at REI or running/hiking store. Put em in your paddock boots. Superioe arch support.

Dansko clogs are also v. comfy. But I have a question! When I buy new ones my second toe touches the end b/c it is longer than my big toe. This happens in Birkenstocks too and I ignore it, can I do that with new Dansko’s? I know they should feel big.

Foot massage! Oh how I love those. Actually, foot massages are a routine activity at our house. I rub his feet and he does mine (with peppermint foot lotion).

I am going to look into arch supports…Since the pain is in the arch, perhaps that will help. Thank God I’m not the only one!

Ok, so I work full-time at the barn now…8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I LOVE it. This is my dream job. Happy as a clam in the mud. But WHY do my feet hurt so much??

In my previous job (remember…tv videographer) I was on my feet all day, schlepping around 100 pounds of equipment, so I’m no stranger to physical labor. My new gig (managing the riding school) I am on my feet all day, tacking horses, grooming, coordinating lessons etc… It’s been a shade over a month now and the insteps of my feet hurt so bad I can barely walk.

I wear either my sneakers or my Ariat paddock boots both of which fit very comfortably. There is some deep sandy terrain to walk through but only IN the arena. so why do my feet hurt so much? A muscle strain would’ve worked itself out by now (if I were using muscles that have been dormant like when you start excercising again).

Anybody else in the field suffer from foot muscle pain??

I am still recovering from the plantar fasciitis I got from wearing sneakers and flatties for too long. Is it worse in the morning? Go to www.heelspur.com and check out the exercises. Lots of time if you stretch out your calf muscles it will help.