Unlimited access >

My horse broke his fibula. Anyone else? UPDATE *Not* Broken!

Yep. Xrays confirmed a neat little fracture about halfway down the bone. We are unsure how it happened- guessing a well-placed kick. Thankfully (as I have recently learned), it appears that the fibula is a non weight-bearing bone that has a high likelihood to heal well. Right now we are starting on a month of stall rest with SMZs to clear up some leftover cellulitis lingering from the wound/combat any further infection. He is bright eyed and not terribly bothered by it, although noticeably off at the trot and a bit at the walk. Staying in a stall will be the hardest part of him. 16 year old OTTB who loves to go go go (we will have long term sedatives on board).

Anyone else dealt with this injury? What was your prognosis? I am, of course, sad but realize this could be MUCH worse. A bit lower would involve the hock, and a bit higher would involve the stifle. :eek:

UPDATE:

A second and third opinion (outside vet and equine surgeon) determined that this was not a fracture, but a secondary center of ossification in the fibula. The wound and resulting lameness were ultimately coincidental. Horse is visibly sound at the walk/trot now. After 2 weeks’ stall rest, we are gradually introducing turnout as safely as possible. Certainly an odd turn of events, but to say I am relieved would be an understatement.

The patient: http://imgur.com/zNOvW9M

He’s gorgeous.

Thank you, Ghazzu! I’m quite taken with him, myself. :yes:

He’s one very handsome boy.:slight_smile: Hope he heals up well.

He’s a looker, and I love your expression in the picture. Hope he heals and you can partner up again.

Patience and jingles are sent your way.

Happy to report - leg is not broken! See OP. :smiley: