Unlimited access >

My horse grind his teeth with a bit - I have tried everything! HELP!

Dear Wise Horse People…

I am in need of some help with my 4 yr old Lusitano who grinds his teeth like crazy whenever I put a bit in his mouth.

I have had his teeth floated twice in 6 months, they are fine.

His saddle is not custom, but it is a Revere saddle that is only 6 months old. It may be a little big, but it is not pinching, or touching his shoulders or spine. I don’t think it is a tack issue.

I have tried him on a week of Gastro-Guard, with no change in his grinding, so it is not ulcers.

He has had his stifles ultra sounded, and they are good.

His feet are good, he is barefoot and happy.

He moves well when he is being lunged or is frolicking.

I just can’t seem to find anything physically wrong with him. I have had several vets look at him, and no one can seem to figure out why he is doing this.

I have owned him for 7 months. He was gelded at age 3.5, and is still a little “mouthy” as stallions can be, but that is decreasing. He was started with a snaffle by his breeder at age 3 yrs old.

When I ride him in a bitless bridle, he very, very rarely grinds his teeth, but when I put the bit in his mouth he immediately grinds. I have tried my HS Arugian french-link eggbutt and he hated it. I am currently trying a Happy Mouth Mullen bit - about as gentle as they come and I do not even have the reins attached to the bit and he still grinds! :no::(:confused:

I bought him as a dressage prospect, but in dressage a bit is required.

He is very sweet and mellow, very eager to please… I would do anything for him!

If you have any suggestions, or ideas, please let me know!:o

Thanks!!!:sadsmile:

I was going to suggest bitless, but I see you’ve tried that, and it works, but you need to ride with a bit.

My previous horse ground his teeth from anxiety. After years of riding bitless, the habit dissipated to the point that when I occasionally put a bit on him, he didn’t grind.

It could be that if you always school in a bitless and only use the bit for shows, he may loose the habit.

It’s frustrating, I know.

Welcome to the site! The Help forum is intended for tech questions with the site, so we moved your thread here to Off Course, where you’ll get more input.

Thanks for your interest and hopefully you’ll get some good ideas ~
Mod 1

My appendix mare would grind her teeth at other horses as they passed us in the ring.

Nothing physically wrong with her, so we just let it go. Didn’t affect our scores at all.

It’s annoying, but as long as it’s not messing up his teeth, I’d let it lie, or ride bitless at home and put in a bit only at shows when you get ready to go in the ring.