Unlimited access >

My new truck is too tall! 🙀 update: getting a new trailer

GUYS.
I was completely clueless about this issue when I bought my 3500 gmc. It is too tall for my GN trailer. I raised the hitch all the way, and then there wasn’t enough clearance, so I went down a hole, and now it’s not level.
What do I do?!

Is it safe to have the trailer raised a couple inches? How does it hold up long term? Getting shorter truck is out of the question…

Recent thread:
https://forum.chronofhorse.com/t/new-truck-too-tall-for-existing-gn-trailer/754729/31

1 Like

You can get a dropped hitch. Not sure where to buy them but a local welder could make one.

1 Like

Doesn’t this lead to an issue with interference between the trailer and the sides of the truck bed? The OP is talking about a Gooseneck trailer.

Good catch, I missed that it is a gooseneck trailer. I was thinking “GN” was a make. Sorry!

Yup! I bought one that was already raised with heavier-duty Dexter torsion axles and it is awesome. Horses love it. The ramp is definitely steeper, but that hasn’t been an issue at all. I swear the horses ride better in it.

Note, if you haul empty a lot, be prepared for the trailer to let the truck know it’s there over every little bump. However, when loaded, it is super smooth and like I said above, I swear it gives the horses a nicer ride.

Either have the axles blocked or the axles turned over. Either will work.

2 Likes

Couple issues with an unlevel trailer per folks I’ve chatted with. The rear trailer axle will carry more weight leading to uneven wear. Depending on how unlevel the trailer is the horses will be bracing against it.

That being said, like you my 2018 F250 sits quite high and my trailer is a wee bit unlevel. My hauling is local, nothing over an hour so I haven’t changed anything on the trailer.

1 Like

That’s what I’m worried about. I go up and down the east coast so I know that is not good for the real axels

Best if you get the trailer axles blocked. You’ll be happy and safer with the change.

Thanks all for your advice

I called the manufacturers of my trailer. He said I could block it but that’d make the ramp a lot steeper (which I gave some thought to and I don’t want to do that). So he said I should just get a new trailer. :woman_facepalming:t3: He told me that he’s had hundreds of people call with this problem…most of them with smashed tailgates and bed rails. He said that in recent years they’ve changed their design to accommodate taller trucks.

That being said if I were to get a new trailer (looking at all brands) , how would I know it would work with my truck?
Would it be by the size of the wheels or height of the trailer?

1 Like

Height of the trailer when level or slightly nose-high.

Can’t do the “turn over” with torsion axles, which most horse trailers have.

measure the height of your truck top bed rail - add 7" - that will get you a good idea to compare to trailer height ground to bottom of GN frame - if ordering let your manufacturer know same
Risa
happytrailstrailers.com
balancedridetrailers.com

Neither, it’s the clearance from ground to the bottom of the gooseneck. You can have a standard height trailer with a shallower gooseneck area, which off the top of my head I know is what Exiss does.

I had an 8’ tall C&C that was made this way in 2002, fit my 2018 F250 fine.

You can get an aluminum flatbed for about $3k (or you could, pre-Covid) that’s another solution to the problem.

Youre right, that’s what I was thinking when I replied. I should have been more clear with what “height” meant.