Unlimited access >

My Poor Mare

26 days to foaling date and she’s sqeezing both sides of chute getting her casolick removed yesterday. Vet says foal has a huge head. Big TB mare has had big foals before, but nothing like this, think I’ll have her foal at the vets.

3 Likes

OMG! Poor gal. Keeping her in my thoughts!! Who is the father?

1 Like

Dubarry is the sire, this mare has had a couple of huge TB foals, and an even bigger WB foal, but this one seems to be the topper.

1 Like

I understand why you want her to foal at the vets. Huge foals are scary.
Good luck!

1 Like

What a nice cross! Big jingles for an uncomplicated delivery.

2 Likes

Looking like it might be any time after 320 days the way she has bagged up already. Always 340 days like a clock on the TB foals, and 338 on the big WB foal, looks like much shorter this time.

I wouldn’t say that in her presence. Lol. My mare started bagging up at day 300 this year, was more or less fully bagged up by day 330, and then didn’t foal until day 379. She was also absolutely enormous (barely fit through her stall door)…and delivered a 72 pound filly. Go figure!

1 Like

would be nice if she would wait 1 more night for a 4th of July baby, but watching the stall monitor and her pacing and pawing and raking her teeth on the stall grill and making a racket, not going to drink this sleepytime tea i just brewed.

7-2-21 Dark bay or brown filly, Star on forehead only marking. Very long legged and feminine.

20 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you!!

ETA: That was in reference to the cam pic… which I now see a beautiful filly has been born… CONGRATS!

1 Like

we got a beautiful long legged bay filly! This morning noticed mare swollen pasturns and reluctance to move and a fever of 102.5.
immediately started hosing legs with cold water, a dose of bute (last dose) and frantically started trying to get ahold of emergency on call vet, no luck there, impuned on the good graces of a retired horse vet, and he left me a tube of banamine and a dose of excede anti-biotic which i drove over and retrieved from his farm mailbox. now a couple hrs later mares temperature is down to 100 and she seems more comfortable and not so lame now… Thank God, I think we’ll make it through the week-end. Mare has discharge from vagina, will haul her in for an anti-biotic flush tomorrow. My daughter next door got up at 4 am this morning to her gelding and mini pony collicking, rolling on the groumd, so it’s like something wicked blew through the neighborhood last night. God help us

1 Like

Best wishes for your mare. Could she have retained a portion of the placenta?

2 Likes

we laid out the placenta and it looked like it all was there, but who knows, some small bit might have been retained. Thank you for the well wishes.

1 Like

Congratulations on the lovely foal. Best of luck with your mare and your other horse and mini! I hope they are all feeling much better today and everyone is in the clear.

1 Like

Updates OP, how is the mare and your new long legged filly doing?? Pictures??

2 Likes

Mama mare and foal spent 3 days in the vet clinic while mare was treated for small piece of retained placenta, brought them home yesterday.
Foal getting some load in the trailer early training. Vet clinic surprised at the size of a few days old filly.

7 Likes

Glad they are finally home!! How are they doing today? Pictures?!

2 Likes

How does baby move? Updated pics?

1 Like

Larky, the way baby moves would fill the German Verbands with joy and envy. Will post some photos when i get a chance.

5 Likes