Unlimited access >

My semi-new horse's first show (pic)

I bought Bennie last summer, but tore my ACL dismounting on my first ride. Doh! He sat just doing light hacks during most of my recovery. A couple months ago I moved to a barn with a trainer (Shady Tree Stables, Jade Reimer) and put him in full training for a couple of months (which killed my bank account!). This past weekend he went to what I think is his first hunter/jumper show. He was previously a low-level dressage horse, but I don’t know if he ever showed. His eyes were pretty wide the first day, but he improved the next two days. He still wants to brace his jaw in the middle of lines (lack of confidence?), but is gradually getting better. His lead changes are at about 75%; we just started those two months ago. This was the 2’6" schooling hunters. Jade thinks he may be able to move up to the three foot eventually, with time and confidence building. He isn’t the hack winner, unfortunately, but he’s not objectively a BAD mover. He is conservatively colored appaloosa, maybe a TB cross? 16.0 with a barrel that takes up quite a bit of leg. If he learns to pack my butt around 2’6", I’ll probably keep him for awhile, but if he can move up to the three foot children’s or adult’s, it might be worth it to sell him. OTOH, it’s hard to find a packer in my price range. Oh well, it’ll be awhile before I have to worry about that.

3 Likes

36 Likes

A good App will give you everything they’ve got! Rock those spots! (Or white hairs in this case) Have fun!

4 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

He’s very cute!

1 Like

Adorable!!

:heart_eyes: He gots “Wood Allergy” :smile:
Looks like a fun ride too.
FWIW:
My TB was not a Hunterly Mover - too much action in front.
But he cleaned up so well in O/F classes we ended up EOY Reserve AA.

IIWM, I’d keep him , but my competitive days are long gone.
You Do You :wink:

1 Like

So cute!
(I love appies!)

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Looking Good!!!

So cute, I also love a good appy

I love his attitude! Looking for the next fence with interest but no worries any more. He’s very nice!

What a cutie!! My first hunter was an appy too and he was worth his weight in gold.

What a good boy you have and he looks like a keeper!

What a great picture! I’m sure you guys will keep kicking butt, you both look great!

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I LOVE your brown jacket. I know H/J is filled to the brim with traditionalists who would probably consider a brown jacket as heresy, but you guys just look fantastic together.

2 Likes

I wish that were me riding. It’s my trainer.

He’s a beauty :heart_eyes:

I love him! He’s adorable!

1 Like