Unlimited access >

My SIL is doing the Gaucho Race

My SIL is doing the Gaucho Race, developed by the Mongolian Race, as I understand it. She did the MR a couple years ago and is now taking off for the GR. She’s been training for months, intensively, and basically her entire life has been a training session :lol:. We’re all excited to follow her progress via the media for the race, facebook has good info and some on instagram and twitter. She’s starting off with a handicap since she arrived in Argentina with a cold of all things but she’s a tough nut. It’s an interesting endeavor to follow if anyone wants to look into it!

I didn’t realize she was doing this! There’s a gal fairly local to me who is doing it as well…will be fun to track them both from my couch. PS doesn’t that cold know it doesn’t stand a chance???

Tracking from the couch is right! A certain Perqy pony was involved in the training sessions, to her horror! I noticed AL people on the link to the racers.

It’s going to be really fun to track them and cheer them on!

I’m following the Gaucho Derby on social media! Good luck to her! I’m so excited to see how this new race evolves.

How exciting. Best of luck to her!

SIL won the race! It was quite a shake-down race and I’m sure it will be different in years to come, if there are years to come. ha ha It was pretty brutal, the weather was a clear opponent but the navigation through the steep mountains and bogs was extreme. We were looking forward to a big party in which she would tell us all about it but now of course things are different. She is in Stage 2 of her adventure which entails trying to get home! She had to travel to Brazil to fly out and is getting on a plane today. She will come home to a strict self-quarantine which I’m sure will break her heart to rest and relax in her beautiful home, overlooking the mountains that were her training grounds.

5 Likes

https://www.horsenation.com/2020/03/19/marie-griffis-wins-the-inaugural-gaucho-derby/

Holy crap! That’s amazing! I followed her journey on Facebook. It looked like a beautiful but very difficult race. Kudos to her for winning a race that is quite literally uncharted territory, given this was the first time it was ever run.

It was inspiring and freeing to see, when so many of us are anxious about the spread of the virus.

She said it was beyond difficult and the teams that had to be rescued/assisted were in real danger. I think it was more of an accomplishment than even the race organizers want to admit to! She is an “all-in” type of person and of course grew up in the mountains on horses so she was very well prepared. She’s been sleeping outside in her horse trailer, NOT an LQ, for months in Montana’s winter to adapt-I’m sure she is loving all her creature comforts now! We are all so happy, my husband is beside himself he’s so proud of her!

3 Likes

Strong foxhunting credentials in all top three

1 Like