Unlimited access >

My sister's dog, Remy

Will cross the bridge today. He was a rescue when he was about a year old, so somewhere around 14-15 years old. The DNA breed tests said he was a boxer/staffy cross. He looked to me more like a mastiff cross, I could wear his collars like belts and he was super wide through the chest. I’m posting here because my DH doesn’t like to talk about this stuff and I’m hurting - so some memorable stories…

Remy was my late father’s favorite dog. He would feed him peanut M&Ms (yes, VERY bad treat, nothing you told my dad meant anything to him, he would do it anyways), earning him the name Reminem.

My grandma came from out of town once and shortly after arriving accused us of rifling through her suitcase. Turns out it was Remy, who had eaten the small pack of gum she had packed.

Remy was an opportunistic counter surfer. The rest of the family had left the house, and Remy must not have known I was still home. I came into the kitchen not 2 minutes after the family had left, to him trying to snarf a loaf of bread off the counter. Straight shame.

My sister came to visit me in college. At the time I had a Pudelpointer who was very gentle on her toys. Remy, not so much. My sister and I left them at my apartment to go see a movie, and came home to a stuffing mess.

Remy located and consumed a Costco sized bag of trail mix once, raisins and all. I think we gave him 8 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and he still wouldn’t puke. Obviously, he survived…

Remy was a big sissy physically, requiring full boots and coat in anything lower than 30 degrees or so. Constant ear infections which led to one ear needing ablation eventually. Hives at least twice a year, from who knows what. Annual paw yeast infections. For such a big tough looking guy, he sure was a wimp.

Remy was at exactly one horse show, where we realized he hates horses and will try to attack them. Banished forever more. My sister couldn’t even stay to watch me ride because it was too hot to leave him in the car and he was acting like a fool.

He would nearly dislocate your shoulder playing tug of war. He would draw blood “grooming” you. An absolutely immensely powerful dog.

He was the only pitbull my DH would ever allow around his vizslas. He was the only pitbull I’d ever trust to never put a foot wrong as far as aggression (except with cats, horses, and possums - those were a hard hard no for him).

Godspeed today, Remy. Go get some M&Ms from Dad, say hi from me. <3

34 Likes

Lovely tribute to a Very Good Boi :sleepy:
Sounds like Remy had a Giant Personality to match his body.

2 Likes

What a great shot of him. Godspeed, Remy. Hugs to all of you.

6 Likes

What a handsome, happy dog living a wonderful life. I know he will make this transition because of love and with love around him. So sorry for you and your sister to lose such a big heart and personality in your lives.

2 Likes

Godspeed handsome Remy.

3 Likes

lovely tribute post …in tears for everyone : family and friends who Remy leaves behind ~

How lucky to have shared so many years together ~

RIP ~ Handsome Remy ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to share sweet Reminem with us.

He sounded like a character and was adored by many, and now us.

I hope yours, and your sister’s heart heal quickly… Remy is a big dog, I am sure the hole he is leaving is at least twice his size.

2 Likes

What a lovely post! And what a lovely dog! Remy obviously lived an excellent life and was well-loved.

(And those stuffed animals/dog toys that he disemboweled? They had it coming!)

2 Likes

What a lovely tribute and such a handsome and good boy. Hugs to you and your sister. Its so tough but he was such a great age and clearly had a wonderful life with your family <3

2 Likes

Godspeed Remy, big hugs to all your grieving family and friends. And if you meet a big brindle greyhound beyond the rainbow bridge, know he was a toy destroyer like you, go find the best stuffed toys to smash together

7 Likes

I’m so sorry for yours and your family’s loss. What a wonderful tribute. Remy will be in good company up there.

1 Like

Awww sweet boy. I’m tearing up reading that lovely back story of such a very good boy. Go tear up all the puffy clouds Remy. You were well and truly loved.

1 Like

Even if Max was way faster than Remy in a foot race, Remy was the king of figuring out how to cut corners and “sneak attack” a zooming dog to be able to get back to paw-to-paw combat play which was more his style.

I’m sure they’ll enjoy eviscerating lots of toys together. <3

1 Like

He’s adorable. Thank you for sharing him with us. It’s so hard to let them go. I’m
So sorry

1 Like

It looks like Remy really barreled through life. I’m glad you all had each other. It’s so hard to lose them. I’m sorry you lost your friend.

1 Like

What a character…a life well lived!

Remy, you brought years of love, loyalty, companionship and laughter to your people.
So long good dog :heart:

Hugs and condolences to you and yours @endlessclimb. {{ }}

1 Like

Thank you for sharing Remy with us.
Godspeed handsome boy!

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Rest easy Remy

1 Like

What a lovely tribute. I’m so sorry that you have to lose him, but it looks like he had a grand life.

1 Like