Unlimited access >

My Working Line GSD

He is 20- ish months old. Today the sports field opened up for off leash dogs and I got some photos.

He is still intact. Training is going well, although I am just working on my own. I was impressed that his down-stay was so good, considering the distractions!
Sheilah

26 Likes

He is very handsome!

2 Likes

What a beautiful boy. As you can see by my forum avatar, GSDs are very near and dear to my heart. I hope we get more updates about him. What is his name?

3 Likes

His name is Andy. He is a very good boy. I have lived with this breed for most of my almost 60 years. I love them beyond belief.
Sheilah

5 Likes

We’re on our third GSD. Andy is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! He can be a handful if he doesn’t get attention and lots of exercise. But is is a good boy. All errors are mine alone.
Sheilah

He is gorgeous! My vet said don’t neuter until 2 yrs. My male is now 6 yrs and still intact. He’s a perfect gentleman and a bit soft temperament wise, so I’m leaving him intact unless his health dictates otherwise. You’re doing a great job with yours!

3 Likes

Congrats on the good job you are doing! I have a 9 mo Doberman from a working line dam. He is tough and needs a job, but boy are they fun when they are ‘on’. Are you training with any working dog clubs? Even if you aren’t into any of the protection work, they can be a tremendous assent with the obedience, as they understand the working dog mentality.

1 Like

Stunning boy and very smart too, right??

I’m on my second rescued female GSD.
I just love their brain and ease of training.

1 Like

We waited until our boy was 24 months to neuter him. They tacked his tummy while they were in there. Zeke’ll be four at the end of January. He really is a good boy now, but it took time for him to settle. He’s the most strong willed GSD we’ve ever had.

Are you keeping your boy intact?

4 Likes

I am not into protection sports, but am into herding and rally. I want to do some tracking with him as well. We started classes when he was 10 weeks old and trained until he was roughly 14 months with a retired LE K-9 handler.

Our focus currently is proofing what he knows and preparing for competition next year. I will keep him intact as long as he is healthy. I have limited registration, so no breeding.
Sheilah

5 Likes

Oh that sounds like a lot of fun! Our boy will be the second we use for herding. He’s calmer with sheep than our last one. Sadly, we had to sell our sheep when we moved. Hoping to start another flock at some point.

2 Likes

He’s very handsome.

My GSD turned 1 last week. Life kinda fell apart shortly after he came home. So, first dog I haven’t had trained by 6-7 months.

Breeder may show him this month and next. We’ll see how he does. She’s agreed to let me have him neutered, she has his lines and doesn’t need him. He’s nice, but not spectacular. He’s American show lines.

12 Likes

I’d love to see him in a show stack just for fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just loving all the gorgeous GSDs! I don’t have a place for a dog at all atm, but a GSD taught me to walk, so I always have a soft spot for them. :heart: :heart: :heart:

6 Likes

Lovely :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! I am enjoying hearing (and seeing) about everyone’s dogs! This breed has a special place in my heart. You are all my tribe!
Sheilah

5 Likes

So good looking! Let us know how he does in the ring!
Sheilah

5 Likes

My current rescued GSD knew nothing when I got her from the county shelter at 2 yrs. old but within a few weeks taught herself to herd and bring in the horses at feeding time. She even barked madly if the horses went into the wrong stalls She learned by simply observing me then just did it on her own.
This breed is such a hoot to train and this gal is much smarter. than you think. Always analyzing things.

7 Likes

Where is your dobe from? I have a show/working line male who is 7 and a all working line boy coming home in a few weeks.

Brydon

1 Like