Unlimited access >

Mystery Abdominal Pain - any ideas?

I do psyllium, too; not for pain but because my 70-year-old bladder needs cranberry supplement, which constipates. So, fix the peeing, break the pooping. :roll_eyes:

I mix in a spoonful of apple cider or wine (much better tasting) vinegar with my glass of psyllium and water to help with digestion. Very good solution.

2 Likes

Hemochromatosis. I recommend getting a circle DNA test to confirm if your doctor won’t provide a test or something.

Last Feb, we had friends over that brought some honey as a gift so we started using it. After about a months worth of painful and inconvenient GI issues, DH thought maybe it was the honey, and I stopped eating it and I eventually got back to normal.

I had a recipe last weekend that called for honey, the stuff the friend had given us was raw so I thought maybe it had bacteria or something so we got a standard honey bear. Last Sunday afternoon my stomach started cramping so bad I thought it might be from switching my brith control from the combo to the mini pill a couple weeks ago. I had started feeling better and decided to try the honey on some yogurt and it was an immediate regret. This morning was the first day since I’ve not felt awful. I imagine it wrecked my gut biome.

Never had issues with honey or sweets prior to last year. Honey is a bad on FODMAP so that is something. I think its too coincidentally to not be the honey unless there is like a full moon in Feb that my body reacts to :joy:

mesenteric artery occlusion? there is also a long list of atypical presentations of common conditions. go to mayo and get a work up. NIH also has a rare disease unit that might be helpful. I’m a retired psychiatrist and saw many patients referred by other specialities for pain or other symptoms they couldn’t diagnose. sent to me for stress. It was not once stress. it was a question of getting them to the right diagnostician.

2 Likes

This may be worth a read;

Last year, when my gallbladder tried to kill me, I had upper quadrant pain, sort of centered, and kept throwing up. I hate to throw up. It turned out I had a very bad gallbladder, and a few bile stones, and that meant a stent since the stone refused to come down and be removed. I was lucky to have a closed DaVinci robot procedure, and six weeks later had a smaller procedure to remove the remains of the stone and the stent.

I was texting a friend during my hospital stay, and after, she was a great help. She’s the last woman in her family to have her gallbladder out, and gave me some great tips on recovery, what foods to avoid, and told me some things you only learn from having the procedure. One was that some foods I love would no longer appeal, and 30% or less fat in everything is crucial (you can have bile stones form after the surgery with too much fat in foods). (For the actual percentage of fat in food, I multiply the fat grams times 10 (without a calculator I’m in trouble), and if that number is 30% or less than the total calories, it’s safe. Don’t just look at fat % on the labels, they list total calories, and grams of fat, to disguise the actual amount of fat in the food).

She mentioned that though a lot of her relatives had gallbladder removal a long time ago, the majority of the removals were in the last three years. Almost all of the excellent care staff at the hospital had had their gallbladders out in the last few years too. It’s like an epidemic. There were a variety of symptoms, and many were told their gall bladders were fine, right up until they had their major attack that led to the surgery.

I’m livid at the GP dismissing your pain.

This is exactly what happens to me, down to it being worse right after lunch and the pain being relieved when lying flat. The pain can be debilitating for me, often to the point I can’t stand up straight during an “attack”. I also have IBS-C, so constipation is an ongoing issue for me. I read your later post and it said you started psyllium husk for relief- I’ll have to try this!

I’ve had endoscopies, CTs, ultrasounds with no unusual results aside from some gall stones. They even went ahead and took my gallbladder out even though I’m only in my early 30s (family history of the women on my mom’s side having to have theirs taken out). I’ve struggled for decades with this mystery stabbing, twisting pain happening at least twice a month. I don’t know that I’ve come across someone whose description of symptoms matched mine so perfectly. I’ll report back if the psyllium helps!