Unlimited access >

Mystery Hindend Issues

Hind suspensory or pelvis/si. He is not going to weight that right hind, is he?

I’d have the vet out to do a Neuro check and if he passes that then block his hind end and see how far up the pain is. If it’s in the leg well a suspensory diagnosis is ultrasound, that’s fairly cheap. If it is pelvis I’d ask what the treatment is before doing diagnostic work. If it’s “throw him out on a hilly pasture for a year” I’d find that hill from the Man from Snowy River and let him be for a full year. I’ve seen that do wonders for a broken pelvis.

Can you lunge him at the canter to evaluate if any treatment is working? I sure as heck wouldn’t be riding him. Don’t get hurt.

I recently tore my SI ligaments and I can tell you it is painful and a long slow recovery. Also my pain is in the opposite hip and knee from compensation. The SI only hurts if some jerk PT prods it directly.

Eta: I have ridden many recent ex:racers that would crab like that if you sat down on their backs but straighten out nicely as soon as you stood up and let them move out. I think it’s a habit from being ponied, some trainers pony harder to handle horses everywhere. I’m going to assume you’ve tried that and he’s still crabbing and that’s why you think it’s injury related. But the nature of his evasion is probably somewhat a habit/ stress response from the track too.

[QUOTE=JJ;8414957]
6yo ottb, 8 months of down time before being restarted in May. Started slow and steady. Pretty much issues since day one of trot work. Have done everything under the sun, ulcer treatment, lyme test, chiro, farrier trim changed, changed feed, different saddles, different bridles, different bits, different riders, dentist, sheath cleaning, kissing spine xray, drugs (to keep him calm after chiro adjustment so it had a better chance to set, also to knock out the possibly of it just being a mental issue.)

We had the vet out to do flexions, sound (over a month ago), and a very reputable chiro out to weeks ago. - said his croup/back end was a mess. Adjusted stuff mostly on the left side of his body (si, few ribs, some neck.). Basically told me he was lucky to not have broken down on the track.

Started him today on a pill a day of previcox for the next week. Vet is agreeing, pain at this point. Being on all the drugs he’s on (Reserpine + a tube of calm & cool prior to riding.) isn’t preventing the outbursts, but is giving me a better idea of what sets them off . . . Going to the right you basically get two-three laps of trotting with warnings and then he breaks out into a sideways canter … no matter where you are in the ring or how you try to correct it/ride him through it. Right before the outburst you’ll feel him swing his haunches in, but stay straight through the middle back/shoulder/neck. If you ignore it, you get cantering sideways, if you correct it and straighten him back out, you get cantering sideways. If you are walking him on a small figure eight, left to right he shortens. Can’t figure out where in his body he is doing it, but he definitely shortens. If you walk to the left and put inside leg on he attempts to lift, takes the leg and eventually relaxes into it. Do it to the other side with the right leg and you get head tossing, changes in breathing, jigging, etc. Something is also definitely off in his back end, today I noticed some atrophy in his right hip between butt point and croup.

He wants to go with his hips/butt to the right. Which is why I suspect he’s better to the left. He can get away with drifting his haunches out to an extent. To the right I feel it instantly and go to correct and straight, that is when you get the cantering sideways.

Today while the BO was watching and commenting on things I remembered something and put it together . . . Maybe . . . a month into working him under saddle I started adding in canter work. First day was non eventful and short (just a quick canter one way for a few circles). Second day he took off blindly with me for laps on end. I still don’t know how to this day I stayed on. Ended up running him into a wall after everything else failed. NOTHING I tried worked and I tried everything . . . It was the right lead canter. He tipped his butt in and wanted to counter bend/go straight, so I asked him to readjust himself more up off his shoulder and to stop putting his butt in. Proceeded to bolt at this, would not slow down, and BLINDLY ran through a jump standard. Didn’t even so much as try and dodge it, didn’t bat an eye, didn’t break stride, in fact ran faster. At the time, figured he was just being piggish and lacked respect, so ceased canter work and decided to focus more on the trot at the time. Now I suspect that was all from pain and is exactly the same injury/problem I am dealing with now.

This is a short clip from yesterday walking away from the camera under saddle. To me, if you focus on the right hind, when he’s going to the left, he’s twisting it or something and pushing off the outside edge.

https://youtu.be/E7-q6uCIDVY

Video clip of what he presents to the right:

https://www.instagram.com/p/8EYctuzHwa/

Some other random things

*Tracks up fully on right side, misses on left.
*Wear marks on inside of front left boot/bellboot.
*Used to not stand square to urinate - hind left under him - seems to be squaring up a bit better after chiro work.
*Retired from racing due to inflammation on the front left superficial flexor, rested and still protected galloping despite trotting out sound, so was retired. (or so I as told)
*Kicked a lot hen I got him, mostly hind right from what we can remember. Went away once in work.
*Hind right hoof grows/wears upright, almost clubbed looking as my farrier put it. Hind left grows more typical of the TB, long in the toe and underrun in the heel.
*Supposedly slipped in field two months prior to my purchasing him (unknown to me - didn’t find out about this until recently), developed a hematoma on right stifle that required a drain to be put in.

I am sure I am forgetting things.

Anyone have any ideas??? I am at an absolute loss at this point and am reaching the end of options and so is he.[/QUOTE]

phah… get a different trainer

1st the horse is off the track - hes not ready to be ridden yet he doesn’t know anything hence why hes doing what hes doing he doesn’t understand

when a horse horse as been raced… then you have to restart them in a very different way as all they know is how to go fast

so they using different mussles, different saddles english is lot heavier than a racing saddle and it lays completely different on his body so would a western compared to an english one, the rider different the feed is different the training different the work is completely different

so feed ab lib hay only for 2weeks and get all that hard feed out of his system
lunge him in his tack during this time so he can learn the basic commands of halt walk trot etc and get comfy with his saddle,

and start him off as you would a baby just broken in go large and use all the school by lengthening and shortening his stride go big large use your school to help him

don’t ask small circles that’s unfair your asking to use mussle and legs that are not re developed for that move… so again start off by going large before going small educate him…

and sort your self out as your not central to his body ie your not sitting into him and your legs are off his sides so you have not contact with him so all he will do is piss off… see 1st video see look at your back its not in line with his your croaked your line to his learn by your mistakes a croaked rider makes a croaked horse a croaked saddle makes a croaked rider makes a croaked horse its not all him or his fault and your trainer isn’t worth p in a cup as didn’t pick it up at all so change him

its all fixable you both need the right education… nothing wrong with your horse other than that and your young so dont know either your going by what your trainer says…and vets for this that when its a horse thats just need re schooling in a diffrent displine and yeah he wuld be messed up think about what he did… then what your asking him to so yep he will have a few body problems becuase no ones took the time to re educate him in a completey different disapline whereby hes going to use othr parts of his body hes not used before… think would feed a shetland the same as race horse… and would you race that same shetland like a race horse…would you

think----- the sport you need training for but never done… how would you prepare your body for it… or would you just go and do it then ache and moan with the after pain … becuase you didnt prepare yourself… not the horse ok… just need to think prepare and help to be re educated in what you want him to be

OP, any updates? Did you try SI injection?

I hope OP does have a good update and an answer for what is bothering her horse.

She has another thread as well here.

[QUOTE=beowulf;8441217]
I hope OP does have a good update and an answer for what is bothering her horse.

She has another thread as well here.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, yeah, that one kind of went downhill…

Did OP get banned? Would love an update as to what was actually going on with this horse, would be really educational.

Found updated video from yesterday from anyone following…interesting difference at end of vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMZx5qUm-g

[QUOTE=Spud&Saf;8446374]
Found updated video from yesterday from anyone following…interesting difference at end of vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMZx5qUm-g[/QUOTE]

Man, I felt bad for my original post, feeling like I may have been too outright in my assertions to the point I hurt the OP’s feelings… but watching the new video is so disheartening… Especially when the captions say he was lunged before he was ridden earlier… so they saw him on the ground and saw that he was lame… but then chose to ride him later… Seeing him fly around the ring in a crippled gallop while the handler just watches - not doing anything to stop him is as worse as encouraging him… and then seeing the lather on his neck and hind end while he is clearly upset his face is being micromanaged… and then instead of working with him, punishing him for being upset by arguing with him in the corner…

Where are the adults, the knowledgeable professionals in OP’s environment to point out these things to her so she learns?

What is an interesting new development is how crooked he is neck through poll - even in no contact he was traveling with his head crooked.

OP, I still stand by my assertion - it is CRUEL to work that horse. He is still lame. The ear flick/head shake is the newest addition to his vocabulary in trying to communicate to you that he is in pain. PLEASE do not ride him… get a trainer that is able to tell you what you are doing is wrong and unfair to your horse…

OP et all, if you really want to develop your eye - watch your horse’s body at 0:51-0:56 - watch his inside hind… watch the articulation of the stifle… that is NOT normal.

A horse has to learn to come forward from behind to accept the bit. OTTBs are commonly confused in learning how to do this. They either want zero contact or they want to lean on the bit. Lowering the hands and putting pressure on the bars doesn’t bring the head down. This horse is clearly not right behind still, so step one can’t even begin to happen until he is sound.

I hadn’t watched the videos before now and thought that some of the posts were a bit harsh… BUT, after watching only the most recent one, I have to say…
PLEASE stop riding this horse. He’s LAME… and he’s trying to tell you he’s hurting and you and the people who advise you are not listening. :frowning: He might be salvageable if you get some quality veterinary diagnostics and treatment. If you continue to ride him while he’s lame like this, you could not only wreck him physically but wreck him mentally. He seems like a really nice horse, one with a less generous nature would probably have hurt you already given the obvious discomfort he’s in. Give him a chance to be the horse you want him to be.

One of ours looked like that and it’s a ligament injury. He had to have a scan to diagnose it, nothing visible on x-ray. Over the years we’ve had horses with every possible ailment you can imagine. Yours looks most like the stifle horse.

I would be reluctant about chiro etc in case it’s soft tissue and could be aggravated. I would also stop riding him.

It sounds like you’ve ruled out;

• Ulcers
  • Kissing Spines

I think you need to consider pelvis (and SI joint), hocks and stifles. And be aware that it could be soft tissue. Perhaps try nerve blocking? Some areas are difficult to block (SI and stifle) but it might help the diagnoses. He doesn’t look neurological to me, just sore.

I know you say he won’t cope being out at pasture, but I promise they do acclimatise. It does sound though that if it was going to sort itself out it would have by now.

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;8434788]

I bought a lemon in March myself. Still working on making lemonade. He’s lucky he’s cute![/QUOTE]

Hah we have the same problem! Beautiful creature though so we’re going to try the rest and rehab route though prognosis isn’t great… (yes, we collect cripples!)

I’ve read in your other thread about the neck radiographs having changes unfortunately changes do not mean that’s the cause.

I’d love to do a series of diagnostic blocks on this horse. I’d start by knocking out the TMT(outer lower hock joints) with liodcaine and seeing where that got us. I’d then likely move onto the stifles with some lidocaine and see where he was then. It truly is amazing what diagnostic anesthesia can lead you to.

Please find a vet willing to try and block out this horse because as far as I’ve read this hasn’t been done. I’ve ridden a similar horse to him and it’s frustrating to have people critique your riding online. He’s the type that winds himself up into a little ball and then trying to get him to go forward causes more balling and bouncing until finally they decide that forward isn’t so bad. I don’t think all of that is being caused by pain and unsoundness but rather just his personality as I have one similar who has had a very thorough work up with diagnostic blocks. Her SI injection probably helped the most, but I wouldn’t jump straight there with him just yet.

Also I’m sure it has been done but has he been tested for EPM.

[QUOTE=JJ;8414957]
6yo ottb, 8 months of down time before being restarted in May. Started slow and steady. Pretty much issues since day one of trot work. Have done everything under the sun, ulcer treatment, lyme test, chiro, farrier trim changed, changed feed, different saddles, different bridles, different bits, different riders, dentist, sheath cleaning, kissing spine xray, drugs (to keep him calm after chiro adjustment so it had a better chance to set, also to knock out the possibly of it just being a mental issue.)

We had the vet out to do flexions, sound (over a month ago), and a very reputable chiro out to weeks ago. - said his croup/back end was a mess. Adjusted stuff mostly on the left side of his body (si, few ribs, some neck.). Basically told me he was lucky to not have broken down on the track.

Started him today on a pill a day of previcox for the next week. Vet is agreeing, pain at this point. Being on all the drugs he’s on (Reserpine + a tube of calm & cool prior to riding.) isn’t preventing the outbursts, but is giving me a better idea of what sets them off . . . Going to the right you basically get two-three laps of trotting with warnings and then he breaks out into a sideways canter … no matter where you are in the ring or how you try to correct it/ride him through it. Right before the outburst you’ll feel him swing his haunches in, but stay straight through the middle back/shoulder/neck. If you ignore it, you get cantering sideways, if you correct it and straighten him back out, you get cantering sideways. If you are walking him on a small figure eight, left to right he shortens. Can’t figure out where in his body he is doing it, but he definitely shortens. If you walk to the left and put inside leg on he attempts to lift, takes the leg and eventually relaxes into it. Do it to the other side with the right leg and you get head tossing, changes in breathing, jigging, etc. Something is also definitely off in his back end, today I noticed some atrophy in his right hip between butt point and croup.

He wants to go with his hips/butt to the right. Which is why I suspect he’s better to the left. He can get away with drifting his haunches out to an extent. To the right I feel it instantly and go to correct and straight, that is when you get the cantering sideways.

Today while the BO was watching and commenting on things I remembered something and put it together . . . Maybe . . . a month into working him under saddle I started adding in canter work. First day was non eventful and short (just a quick canter one way for a few circles). Second day he took off blindly with me for laps on end. I still don’t know how to this day I stayed on. Ended up running him into a wall after everything else failed. NOTHING I tried worked and I tried everything . . . It was the right lead canter. He tipped his butt in and wanted to counter bend/go straight, so I asked him to readjust himself more up off his shoulder and to stop putting his butt in. Proceeded to bolt at this, would not slow down, and BLINDLY ran through a jump standard. Didn’t even so much as try and dodge it, didn’t bat an eye, didn’t break stride, in fact ran faster. At the time, figured he was just being piggish and lacked respect, so ceased canter work and decided to focus more on the trot at the time. Now I suspect that was all from pain and is exactly the same injury/problem I am dealing with now.

This is a short clip from yesterday walking away from the camera under saddle. To me, if you focus on the right hind, when he’s going to the left, he’s twisting it or something and pushing off the outside edge.

https://youtu.be/E7-q6uCIDVY

Video clip of what he presents to the right:

https://www.instagram.com/p/8EYctuzHwa/

Some other random things

*Tracks up fully on right side, misses on left.
*Wear marks on inside of front left boot/bellboot.
*Used to not stand square to urinate - hind left under him - seems to be squaring up a bit better after chiro work.
*Retired from racing due to inflammation on the front left superficial flexor, rested and still protected galloping despite trotting out sound, so was retired. (or so I as told)
*Kicked a lot hen I got him, mostly hind right from what we can remember. Went away once in work.
*Hind right hoof grows/wears upright, almost clubbed looking as my farrier put it. Hind left grows more typical of the TB, long in the toe and underrun in the heel.
*Supposedly slipped in field two months prior to my purchasing him (unknown to me - didn’t find out about this until recently), developed a hematoma on right stifle that required a drain to be put in.

I am sure I am forgetting things.

Anyone have any ideas??? I am at an absolute loss at this point and am reaching the end of options and so is he.[/QUOTE]

see OP’s december thread. Is this the same horse on the delete thread?

[QUOTE=JJ;8415426]
Bonescan unfortunely is not an option financially. My vet quoted me $3k-$4k to take him to the local clinic to have it done. And that without even knowing if whatever the issue is fixable.

The whole pain about the situation is that he gets bad when he’s not in work (mentally). He gets himself in trouble, gets injured, gets ramy and cranky and starts kicking walls and fences. -.- So to toss him out in a pasture for six months isn’t even an option (mentally for him or fonacially for me) . . . and I don’t think would fix the problem as I am fairly certain it was there when I purchased him and he hadn’t done anything for eight months.[/QUOTE]

Same horse as on the delete thread in December?

[QUOTE=JJ;8415745]
I want to say the quote included the overnight fees, and what the “average” cost of xrays/ultrasound etc run after the bonescan pinpoints an area.

Not sure if drugging and tossing him a field would work - the reserpine he’s on right now hardly had any effect at all after 3 days . . . which is why he’s also getting calm & cool on top of it.

Yes, SI has always been in the back of my head and was briefly discussed with my vet. Does anyone know how much the injections run?? I know they’re pricier than your run of the mill hock injections.

I also agree with whoever said pelvic issues from the slip. The seller did not inform me of it until two months ago when I asked point blank. IMO, she knows more than what she’s letting on. (Just from talking with other people who have dealt with her).[/QUOTE]

Saving for comparison to the other thread.

You do realize these are first world problems. Why not spend your time feeding the poor or donating time to help some needy people???

Edited to add this is directed at the last poster not the OP

[QUOTE=Parrotnutz;8459411]
You do realize these are first world problems. Why not spend your time feeding the poor or donating time to help some needy people???

Edited to add this is directed at the last poster not the OP[/QUOTE]

So are threads on saddle fit, breeches, colored tall boots and quite frankly, almost every thread on this or any other site. So what?? It can be fun, entertaining and helpful to discuss these issues, even if they are not the most pressing in the world.

[QUOTE=invinoveritas;8459386]
Saving for comparison to the other thread.[/QUOTE]

Why? I think you need to let it go. :no:

[QUOTE=S1969;8459799]
Why? I think you need to let it go. :no:[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t matter now OPs been Banned!

[QUOTE=TWH Girl;8459730]
So are threads on saddle fit, breeches, colored tall boots and quite frankly, almost every thread on this or any other site. So what?? It can be fun, entertaining and helpful to discuss these issues, even if they are not the most pressing in the world.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but in this case a person was digging up threads that were old, but related to a current thread, just " because". In my opinion she was just going too far, with someone who is young and obviously in extreme stress and didn’t need to be bullied by her/ him.