Unlimited access >

Mystery Lameness--hocks, stifles, SI???

I’ll try to keep this brief :slight_smile:

I have an 8 yo OTTB, Jack, who last raced about 3 years ago. I’ve had him about 2 1/2 years. First year didnt do much other than hack in a field and do some trail riding. Second year (beg of 2014) started some lessons with a dressage trainer so beginning to ask him to do more. Had his hocks injected about 4 months into the lessons because he seemed uncomfortable and was intermittently a “little off”, more so in the left hind than the right. He looked like his left hind stride was “short”. He was better after that and we even did a beginners dressage test at a schooling show this past October.

Soon after that he seemed to be again NQR a lot of the time. It was getting colder so we thought maybe stiffness because he did seem to work out of it most of the time. Had the accu/chiro vet look at him and he said he was indeed very “creaky” esp for being pretty young. Gave me exercises to do, etc. No dramatic improvement and then to complicate things he popped a splint in his left hind followed about a month later by an abscess in his left front! Fun! So he was off for about 6 weeks with all of that.

Have been trying to bring him back and he was just not doing very well so called reg vet to come evaluate. Not holding a canter for very long, switching leads behind and “crow-hopping”. Lots of ear-pinning, esp when anticipating canter departs. He watched him go and flexed him and the flexing didn’t make much difference. Said he wanted to try him on a course of Previcox to see if we were dealing with inflammation. Warned that if Previcox improved whatever we were seeing, it might then cause other things to go out of whack as Jack adjusted. Previcox was like magic–after 3 days he was like a new horse. This lasted about a month and now we are to today and the video shows how he is. I have a call in to the vet for next steps. I have thought all along that it looked like maybe stifle or even SI from what I have read about other horses’ symptoms.

Would welcome observations, thoughts, comments, etc.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yOP3Y4zj4

I’m thinking you are right regarding the possibility of stifle. He is definitely short behind more so on left. Also he looks unhappy in corners and the short side. My mare moves like that when her stifle is bothering her. She would also NOT do changes when things got out of wack.
Is he still on previcox?
I’ve never,thankfully, had a horse w/ SI problems, so can’t comment on that.