Unlimited access >

Mystery Pain - left side. help.....

Help… my 19yo QH gelding has suddenly gone very reactionary under saddle - he is fine grooming, fine girthing up, fine working at liberty in tack, fine mounting. But the minute I get on and apply any leg at all, he immediately pins his ears, swings his head with teeth bared as if to bite, and threatens to pop up or crow hop. So, it’s clearly mainly on the left, but he’s annoyed on the right, somewhat. I’ve changed the girth, switched western and english tack, checked buckles, rubs, wounds, etc. He’s had no significant weight gain or loss. He’s never done this. I’m thinking it could be ulcers, however in all the years he’s been with us, he’s never had them before. Is it likely? Any other thoughts? The obvious causes have been ruled out and i’m stumped. Could it be ulcers? I also should mention he’s always been on grass turnout, approx 10hrs a day, and light work over the last 6 months, as we lost our indoor over the winter.

Could he have hurt himself rolling on a rock, caught a kick in the ribs, got caught by a swinging gate or stall door trying to get through or suffered some kind of wreck around the barn nobody saw/will admit to ?

He could have a bruised rib or bruised the soft tissue around it. Ulcers aren’t normally one sided and usually present with other symptoms…never hurts to treat for them, except your wallet since the stuff that really works for anything except making the owner think they are doing something is pricey.

Just think because it is recent and localized, it could be an injury.

1 Like

Is it truly a sudden development, or has he maybe been slowly escalating his reaction until he decided he had to make a bigger leap to get your attention? Sometimes we just don’t notice the slow increase.

If it’s truly a sudden development, as in, one day he was happy, ears perked, properly reactive to the aids, etc, then he’s threatening to dump you or take a chunk out of you, then I’d be looking for an acute injury as findeight talked about. Ulcers are almost guaranteed to not do that.

But if you look back and think “Oh, yeah, I had noticed he’s been a bit lazier than normal, behind my leg, a little grumpy, and then “suddenly” he’s a disaster”, then ulcers would definitely be in the picture, but something like a bruised/fractured/broken rib/withers/sternum aren’t out of the question either.

1 Like

Have you tried a Bute trial?

Chiropractic… preferably with one who can use acupressure points/ acupuncture.

1 Like

I have not, but that’s a good thought…

1 Like

[QUOTE=JB;n9733564]
Is it truly a sudden development, or has he maybe been slowly escalating his reaction until he decided he had to make a bigger leap to get your attention? Sometimes we just don’t notice the slow increase.

If it’s truly a sudden development, as in, one day he was happy, ears perked, properly reactive to the aids, etc, then he’s threatening to dump you or take a chunk out of you, then I’d be looking for an acute injury as findeight talked about. Ulcers are almost guaranteed to not do that.

But if you look back and think “Oh, yeah, I had noticed he’s been a bit lazier than normal, behind my leg, a little grumpy, and then “suddenly” he’s a disaster”, then ulcers would definitely be in the picture, but something like a bruised/fractured/broken rib/withers/sternum aren’t out of the question either.[/QUOTEI

If I think back, yes, I think it’s been more gradual. He definitely always had his opinions and his feelings :wink: …but this is a clear and extreme reaction. I think I need to rule out ulcers, and then if no better, think about soft tissue or fracture, and/or chiropractic issue. He’s fine at liberty, as I said, changing direction, W/T/C with no noticeable discomfort, and will pick up both leads. That’s the part that’s got me a bit stumped. But maybe adding my 140lbs and leg pressure is enough to make that difference.

If I think back, yes, I think it’s been more gradual. He definitely always had his opinions and his feelings :wink: …but this is a clear and extreme reaction. I think I need to rule out ulcers, and then if no better, think about soft tissue or fracture, and/or chiropractic issue. He’s fine at liberty, as I said, changing direction, W/T/C with no noticeable discomfort, and will pick up both leads. That’s the part that’s got me a bit stumped. But maybe adding my 140lbs and leg pressure is enough to make that difference.

1 Like