Unlimited access >

Name my farm?

I’m finally building myself a farm. I have some ideas that come from a past horse business which relates to a place from my childhood, but I’d like to think outside that box.

The land is a dinky but beautiful 7.6 acres that is ringed by trees. I love the way this traditional Irish blessing ends:

“May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.”.

This farm is a bowl, like the palm of God’s hand. But after that, I can’t think of a way to link that to the farm’s name. I’m not Christian or religious or wont to think that God gave me this farm in some proud way that I’d build into a name.

Any ideas along these lines or others? If I can figure it out, I’ll post a picture to give you an idea of the bowl.

Verdant Bowl Farm?

Fair Weather Farm

Softwind Farm
Fair Winds Farm
Soft Rain Farm
Fairfield Farm

Rivendell

Fodan in Irish means little spot of ground.

Lámh Dé Farm (this is “hand of God” in Gaelic)

(Irish) Blessing Farm
Providence Farm

New Leaf Farm
Full Circle Farm

Fair Wind Farm
Fair Dell Farm
Bonny Dell Farm

Meet Again Farm (or /Stables) I kinda like the welcoming sound of that :slight_smile:

BUT, another thing you could consider is to bring that Irish blessing into your symbolism, rather than reference it explicitly in the name. For example, you could hang a barn quilt with irish themes, or include a celtic cross on your farm sign. To give you an idea, I painted a barn quilt last summer for a place that has lots of Irish history. I’m not sold on the colors I used, but the instructions were to have lots of green, but also match the red outbuilding it hangs on, but also don’t make it look like a Christmas decoration. Okaayyyyy then, no problem :thinking:

4 Likes

Coming from a land where every patch of ground has a name going back for millennia, did your new farm have a historic name attached in some way?

Good question! Let me look into that.

My farm is called Virtual Acres and I got a nice shirt to wear when I’m on my John Deere tractor mowing the lawn. So far nobody gets it. :grin:

I think Manus Dei means Hand of God in Latin. Can you work with that? Or some goddess whose name you like? Gaia’s Hand Farm?

I had a “virtual” farm for years, boarding my horses out. I called it Vest Pocket Farm because the substance of my farm would fit in my vest pocket!

In England, place names are compounded from many elements. “Ley” or “leigh” means a clearing made in woodland. “Glade” tends to refer to a natural opening in a wood. “Coombe” means a rounded valley. “Harbour” refered to a place of refuge e.g. Coldharbour

“Down” is a Saxon word for a hill. “Knock” is a British word for hill. Near me is a farm called “Knockdownhill farm” which makes me laugh as an example of non-communication between neighbours since that is “Hillhillhill farm”. It is just above the River Avon, which means “River River”.

So a combination could be e.g. Pineleigh or Ashcoombe or Coombeharbour…

3 Likes

Loving all of this. All the others sound cheesy to me (sorry all!).[quote=“Willesdon, post:16, topic:756189, full:true”]

In England, place names are compounded from many elements. “Ley” or “leigh” means a clearing made in woodland. “Glade” tends to refer to a natural opening in a wood. “Coombe” means a rounded valley. “Harbour” refered to a place of refuge e.g. Coldharbour

“Down” is a Saxon word for a hill. “Knock” is a British word for hill. Near me is a farm called “Knockdownhill farm” which makes me laugh as an example of non-communication between neighbours since that is “Hillhillhill farm”. It is just above the River Avon, which means “River River”.

So a combination could be e.g. Pineleigh or Ashcoombe or Coombeharbour…
[/quote]

back in the 1990s we showed with a guy from England, we were talking once when he said my place back in England is still known by the locals as the previous owner’s since my family has only owned the place four hundred years

Just be mindful of the name you chose as it may have greater ramifications than expected. We named our place Sanctuary to be a place for kids to grow up in some sort of controlled order. Kids grew up but Sanctuary has continued to harbor an ever increasing quantity of animals. Only one horse of the eight is one that was bought to be developed, all others are here for their protection. Then there is now three goats, two cats and an assortment of other visitors. …plus the eleven goats next door that are being taken care of, I guess that is an annex.

1 Like