NARHA Driving Certification?

I think there were a couple folks here that are NARHA certified for driving aren’t there?

Could you tell me what your experiences were? I just am not comfortable riding anymore and want to have a new challenge. Eventually becoming certified would be a wonderful plus for our program so I am using it as the push I need to learn to drive and expand our program goals. :slight_smile:

Great that your thinking of driving certification… USDFD (www.usdfd.org) just held their first driving clinic with NARHA. They are located in KY. And are a great resource for driving…

There are a couple of programs here in CA that have NARHA certified driving programs. I can tell you that most drivers who are disabled (that I know) have not learned to drive through NARHA centers since there are so very few that have driving programs. And to me it is a great place to find new drivers many times a person who can’t ride with independence will be able to drive with independence.

Problems with setting up driving centers is equipment cost, and finding suitable animals. If you are really interested you should contact a local driving club you can find one in your region at www.americandrivingsociety.org . The club might be willing to help sponsor your program and you would have all the driving knowledge you need at your fingertips. A club I am a member of donated a harness, pony and cart (over the course of a couple of years) to a TR program.

Diane

Thanks for the info Diane!

I love working on the ground with the horses but as the months go by I find myself less and less enthused to ride. A nice leisurely trail ride…sure, but anything else? eh? Now driving? THAT has me enthused! I had driven a lovely horse a couple of times in an arena and fell in love with it but I never had the opportunity to really consider pursuing formal instruction until now.

One of the primary reasons we adopted Firefly was for a potential driving horse (and because she is just so darn pretty and the kids can’t wait to show her in hand this summer :lol: ) and I swear it is all I obsess about these days :cool:

OK… started looking at who’s close to you of personally known driving areas. Looks like you are several hours away from the folks in Geneseo, Saratoga, Mid-Hudson etc. Unless you have connections or know clubs in your area, I’d suggest checking into a few people who are in the Scranton/Bath area - about 1 hr away.

As Diane said your BEST bet is to hook up with a local club. From what I remember when we worked with a local therapeutic group, NARHA requirements had them working closely with drivers to build their skills for quite a while.

I know of a lovely trainer south of Scranton - closer to Easton for her barn and a terrific set of ladies who work with minis further south. Our club Hunterdon County Horse & Pony Association is about 1-1/2 hours away, south of Route 78. There are also some drivers up in Sussex Co NJ off Route 80. I’m not sure what we can do for you, but we can try to help.

NARHA driving

Hi- I am a NARHA driving instructor. You have to take a workshop and certification course as well. The requirements for a driving instructor can be found at: http://www.narha.org/Driving/Driving%20Workshop%20and%20Certification%20Overview.asp

That gives you an overview of the criteria. NARHA is looking for candidates that are strong in their driving skills and experiences, that they can teach driving skills and finally that they can modify those to keep a special needs participant safe and engaged.

Feel free to ask or PM if you have any other questions.

Karma, thanks. I was hoping someone had actually been through it. I think I am going to try to make it a goal for a three year plan. It would certainly be something of value for our program and it would give me a personal goal to work towards.

DriveNJ, it seems that most everything is at least 3 hours away from us. We are so centrally located that that there is nothing near us :winkgrin:

I’m going to check with classicsporthorses and see if she can help me get started or if she has any local connections and then branch out from there. Someone else recommended taking a look around Scranton too…

Well if you need drive time with or without an instructor, we may be able to help you out. The horses are moving to winter quarters with an indoor this week. Amie Baumann is a great instructor and our Perch/Tbd Alex is a pretty good teacher - you know the kind. For beginners he’ll plod around until you ask correctly - then he’ll give you what you asked for.

Let us know if we can help

[QUOTE=Drive NJ;4548399]
Well if you need drive time with or without an instructor, we may be able to help you out. The horses are moving to winter quarters with an indoor this week. Amie Baumann is a great instructor and our Perch/Tbd Alex is a pretty good teacher - you know the kind. For beginners he’ll plod around until you ask correctly - then he’ll give you what you asked for.

Let us know if we can help[/QUOTE]

I sure will!! Thank you!!!