Unlimited access >

Nashville Area Boarding (cross post)

I did a search on the forum and google (and have chatted with one COTH mem in the area) but while I have found a wide variety of barns I was hoping someone on the forums might be able to advise me of barns in the Nashville Area (ideally within 30 min drive of the Vandy/ Centennial Park area.

ISO Boarding Facility - Nashville

I am looking for a boarding facility in or around the Nashville area as we are soon to be relocating. Care is my primary concern. I am not at all familiar with the area so hoping to get some help.

• Good Care (full board w/ stall)
  • Daily Turnout (weather permitting)
  • Outdoor arena with lights or indoor arena on site
  • Within 30 or so minute drive of Nashville
  • Trailer Parking
  • Prefer smaller private farms but open to a larger operation
  • Dog friendly would be preffered but not required
  • Reasonable board price - will pay more for certain situations

Short term I would be happy to find a pasture board option to get me through the winter while we get settled. We are moving in a month and I will not be able to come look at barns until next weekend so I am getting a little panicked that I havent set up any visits.

TIA for any and all suggestions.

I assume you have investigated this list?

http://www.tndressage.com/downloads/CTDA_Directory.pdf

I’m sorry I don’t know more more people specifically, but certainly I would contact Travelers Rest Farm. Tami Crawford is a very talented trainer and instructor, and her barn manager/assistant trainer seems good, too.

First of all, welcome to the area!

The list that piedmontfields posted is very helpful. Some of them are quite far from west Nashville/mid-town, though.

I’ve lived in 3 different states and several different locales, and I’ve found the boarding scene in Nashville more challenging than most places. I feel like there’s a higher proportion of large “commercial” farms and less small farms. Pasture board is also surprisingly uncommon, and often does not include any sort of feeding or care.

Try to focus your search on the area south of Nashville: towns Williamson county, southern Davidson county, or even parts of Rutherford and Maury counties. I say this because that area has the best concentration of horse services: chiefly veterinarians, but also farriers, feed stores, tack stores, trainers, etc. You might find more affordable boarding north, west, or east of the city… but the lack of equine vet services is maddening.

Southern Promise Farm is very good. I have never personally boarded there, but have known a handful of people who have and were quite happy.

If you are looking for references (positive or negative) about any barns you may be investigating, feel free to PM me. I haven’t boarded my horses in several years, but I was very active as a pet-sitter/farm-sitter in the area and cared for horses at a lot of different boarding facilities. The fact that boarders will hire a farm-sitter when they go out of town even though they are paying “full” board tells you a lot about the level of care at some of the farms around here.

Southern Promise was sold a few months ago and is no longer a boarding facility. I have personally boarded at Old Hillsboro Manor ( https://www.facebook.com/Old-Hillsboro-Manor-118283794868978/ ) in Franklin and Green Pastures (the side with the indoor) in Brentwood. My horses received excellent care at both places, but my experience is now so dated it is unhelpful as it has been 12 years since I boarded a horse. My friend owns Tracebridge Farm which is just up the road from Old Hillsboro and it is a lovely farm, you might check to see if they have openings ( https://www.facebook.com/Tracebridge-Farm-404321166297955/ ). If you contact Tennessee Equine Hospital in Thompson’s Station they used to keep a binder that lists potential boarding facilities as a courtesy to their clients. It might be worth asking if they still do that.

[QUOTE=onthebit;8370576]
Southern Promise was sold a few months ago and is no longer a boarding facility.[/QUOTE]

Well drat! Seems to happen to all the good ones!

[QUOTE=piedmontfields;8370081]
I assume you have investigated this list?

http://www.tndressage.com/downloads/CTDA_Directory.pdf

I’m sorry I don’t know more more people specifically, but certainly I would contact Travelers Rest Farm. Tami Crawford is a very talented trainer and instructor, and her barn manager/assistant trainer seems good, too.[/QUOTE]

I had not seen this list so thank you so much for sharing!

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8370193]

The fact that boarders will hire a farm-sitter when they go out of town even though they are paying “full” board tells you a lot about the level of care at some of the farms around here.[/QUOTE]

That is pretty sobering!!!

Walnut Trace?

[QUOTE=onthebit;8370576]
Southern Promise was sold a few months ago and is no longer a boarding facility. I have personally boarded at Old Hillsboro Manor ( https://www.facebook.com/Old-Hillsboro-Manor-118283794868978/ ) in Franklin and Green Pastures (the side with the indoor) in Brentwood. My horses received excellent care at both places, but my experience is now so dated it is unhelpful as it has been 12 years since I boarded a horse. My friend owns Tracebridge Farm which is just up the road from Old Hillsboro and it is a lovely farm, you might check to see if they have openings ( https://www.facebook.com/Tracebridge-Farm-404321166297955/ ). If you contact Tennessee Equine Hospital in Thompson’s Station they used to keep a binder that lists potential boarding facilities as a courtesy to their clients. It might be worth asking if they still do that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all of these suggestions. I have an email out to Tracebridge. Green Pastures sounds very nice but a huge price tag… I guess I am a little sticker shocked by the board prices in the area.

I contacted TN Equine Hospital and they were also very helpful.

Have any of you all had experience with Walnut Trace? Thats another one that falls in less than 20 miles distance.

You might send a PM to eponacowgirl on here. She is an eventing instructor and I know she has organized some clinics that were held at Walnut Trace. It is a beautiful facility but I don’t have any info on what it might be like to board there.

I have had positive experiences at Walnut Trace when I have shipped in for little shows. They have always been incredibly accommodating for me, letting me stable my horse overnight. The facilities are gorgeous and the horses always look happy and healthy. A friend boarded there for awhile and seemed happy. She has since left, but I do not know why.

Walnut Trace will probably also give you sticker shock. That sticker shock never goes away no matter how long I live here. :slight_smile: But it’s worth the call.

I’ve boarded at Green Pastures (on the side with the indoor) for a long time. It is expensive but the care, amenities and convenience make it all very worth the expense. Plus, we have lots of great people representing many disciplines. There is typically a waiting list to get a stall. PM me if you would like additional information, or would like to come by for a tour.

Harpeth Bend Farm in Bellevue (at the end of Morton Mill Road) is not fancy but has great pastures and riding areas and excellent care. There is no indoor or lighted arena but easy to trailer to one from there. Plus, it’s only 10 minutes from horse trails at Warner Park.

[QUOTE=FatDinah;8374159]
Harpeth Bend Farm in Bellevue (at the end of Morton Mill Road) is not fancy but has great pastures and riding areas and excellent care. There is no indoor or lighted arena but easy to trailer to one from there. Plus, it’s only 10 minutes from horse trails at Warner Park.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to find contact info to check it out.

EponaCowgirl here is a great resource. She runs Big Idea Eventing out of her new place.