Unlimited access >

Near Trainwrecks, Bullets Dodged, And Lessons Learned - Please Share!

Similar horse trailer mishap, decades ago, talk about scary.

Pulling a two horse light trailer with two horses in it thru the racetrack entrance, there was a little ditch to drive over that made a bump as you turned in.
Drove thru and busy looking for a place to park, tried to park and no trailer, oops!

Sure enough, bump had “disconnected” trailer and trailer kept going straight into the bar ditch as the car turned in, still standing upright, horses fine waiting.

3 Likes

Always make sure your drylot is extra secure w/ electric if you are housing 2 fat a$$ equines, one horse and pony.

They took out two fence boards and roamed the front yard in the good grass. Luckily I found them before they visited the neighbors.

7 Likes

Glad this thread got revived :laughing:
The Stoopid in Horsefolk can be very strong! :expressionless:
My latest:
At the Ntl Drive last Fall w/my mini.
Early morning, I’m feeding & picking his stall.
Dumpster for manure is right outside, so he’s eating his grain & unlikely to move IMH(&Dumb)O.
I dump my forkful in the dumpster, turn to see mini squeezing himself out the open JustAnInch! stall door.
He’s not wearing a halter.
There’s nobody in sight.
Then I see a teen boy walking past & yell for Help!
He comes over, I’m using my 5’2" body to contain determined Escape Artist mini… Not very successfully.
Between us mini gets put back & locked in.
I thank the kid.
Turns out he knows nothing about horses, works for the Park & was late for his job.
Still nice enough to rescue a Dumbsel in Distress. :smirk:

15 Likes

This is definitely up there with dumbest things I have done as an adult. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Meet my gelding, wonderfully sane TB. Smarter than his human, lucky for him. Most definitely thinks I’m useless but tolerates me nonetheless.

Boarding barn runs summer camps and they set up a zip line they run across the far end of the indoor arena. It’s only ever set up for a few days at a time and they block the end of the arena off with standards, mounting blocks, etc… Basically anything to form a barrier to keep horses and riders away from the zip line. Beyond the zip line are square bales tucked all along the back of the arena. Yes this is definitely a stupid thing to have in an arena meant for riding but that’s not the point of this story. The indoor is not used for much other than camp shenanigans during the summer since there are other arenas and lots of trails.

Could I have ridden in either of the two large outdoor arenas? Yes. Could I have gone for a hack? Also yes. Who felt like free lunging in the indoor one day? This gal! But oh no! There’s a little spot in the barrier that horse could potentially fit through so I go to block it off… With some pole bending poles and a lawn chair. You might think I was 7 years old thinking this was a good idea. Nope, definitely in my late 20s.

So we get to work and things are going well until he seemingly remembers that there is hay at the back and just tritty trots right on through my very secure line of poles and a lawn chair. I am certain he is going to decapitate himself as I am walking over to try lure him in. He’s now showing off the most magnificent trot, head bobbing up and down as he weaves underneath the zip line. Back and forth, head bobbing like a swan. Apparently that was more entertaining to him than just going to the hay. I gathered him up quickly, with my heart beating out of my chest, and a look on his face that said “you had to have known I was going to check this out!”

13 Likes

SO many, because I grew up pretty feral on a cattle farm. Here’s an easy one: Breed show at what is now the super-nice PG County Equestrian Center in MD, but at the time was a really run-down TB training center. (Maybe races? don’t know, but doubt it). This is probably 1990. Some grooms were packing up to leave and asked us if we wanted this mare, free, because otherwise she was destined for slaughter.

I vaguely think we did not agree to take her, but they just left her in a stall next to ours. Could be wrong about that, maybe we did say yes?

Anyway, when we were packing up to go on Sunday, we took her. Seemed sweet, loaded fine, drove home - and turned her out immediately on 180 acres. The ‘horse pasture’ had 3 board fences, but they were not in tremendous shape. Barbed wire everywhere else.

She disappeared for about a week. When we found her she had a bunch of open wounds, but we treated them and she survived.

FYI, at the show where this all began, I was alone with my BFF. We were 16. I guess those guys thought we were the best chance the mare had (later named PITA). She did have a decent life as a pasture ornament, but she really easily could have died alone and terrified, hung up on barbed wire where we couldn’t find her…