Neck arthritis

Well got the results of my xray this morning and it shows arthritis. Not sure if it’s from my JRA, maybe I will find out during the next appointment. She also believes that is the reason behind my nonstop headaches. So now I’m on Voltaren 75mg and told to go ahead and start my PT.

Has anyone had any relief with meds and PT? Do you have any other tricks that helped bring some relief?

I don’t have arthritis per se, probably some in there by now though, but I do have chronic neck pain & associated tightness, spasms, TPs, whatever.

I find PT does help. I end up doing it every few years. I think Thursday will be traction day. :slight_smile: He cracked my neck last night, but it’s still not quite right.

Massage helps - you have to find a good one. Sometimes it kind of stinks while you’re getting it, but is good a day or so later.

Find yourself a nice pair of long tube socks. Fill one full of rice & sew it shut. Then hand sew a line down the middle (keeps the rice from shifting around too much). Put the remaining sock over it. Microwave for 30-90s and enjoy the heat.

Best wishes SDXF. I’m a fellow bad spine sufferer.

A lovely COTHer gave me this and it works great. You can make it hot or cold.

http://www.amazon.com/THERAPEARL-Back-Adjustable-Strap-Count/dp/B006YC55TE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422378894&sr=8-4&keywords=therapearls

I also do PT, walking often helps if I feel a headache coming on, have a few different migraine meds (esgic & relpax) or just motrin (which is an anti-inflammatory as is your voltaren (stronger than motrin). Sometimes walking helps, sometimes a glass of wine/beer (do not combine with any meds, though), sometimes heating the neck a few times with above pack (put a damp towel over it, the moisture helps the heat or cold penetrate better), sometimes coffee, sometimes a cold pack on the head/neck, sometimes getting in the bath and putting my head in the water & kinda scrubbing my scalp, sometimes a combination of several of the above.

Thanks. I have tried heat therapy along with the meds and the muscles in my neck are a bit looser and not as inflamed. I got another report from my Dr that says I have radicular neuropathy as well. It feels like if I over use my arm, I pay for it later. For example, yesterday I had to get my horses cleaned up for coggins and I had a lot of pain in my arm later on last night. I haven’t been able to start PT yet due to a glitch with my ins but next week everything should be good to go. I hope the nerve damage in my arm isn’t permanent since it’s my right arm and I’m right handed.

I can’t help with med recommendations, but I have neck arthritis and the single best thing I ever did was to switch to a stand up desk. Not sure how much time you spend on a computer, but if you spend any time at all, please consider putting your laptop on a higher surface.

My desk is not a fancy stand up desk, it’s an Ikea Trestle desk that I just converted into a stand up desk. You can also just put your laptop on a bookshelf or some other surface that forces you to stand.

Within one week of switching this, my neck was markedly improved. Even my PT was amazed by the difference.

Thanks. Whenever I play on my computer it is raised up to my eye level. That standing desk idea sounds painful to me, I can’t stand still in one place without pain in my knees and feet ;). But thank you for the suggestion:).