Unlimited access >

Neck or grab straps

For flatting and hacking a horse that is prone to big spooks, bucks, or other shenanigans, I’ve taken a single rubber rein and modified the buckles (using a speedy stitcher awl) so it attaches to itself. This strap is thinner and looser than (most) stirrup leather or belt straps and i can have a hand on it while still holding both reins in normal position without making any adjustments in my upper body position. I don’t jump with it because it is loose and not fixed to other tack. When jumping, I find my Fairfax performance breastplate can serve a similar role.

For around the farm a polo wrap tied around the neck works great. I can change the length and less bulky.

When in public I go a bit more proper with a stirrup leather.

Does anyone have a favorite thin neck strap? I use an old stirrup leather but would love something less bulky. Bonus points if it is customizable!

1 Like

Equiprism has nice ones that are thinner and they can do any colour; https://equi-prism.com/neck-strap/

I have the nunn finer ones and I like them a lot. They are pretty thin which works for me and weird tiny hands.

3 Likes

I use a broken rein that has been cut to shorten and resewn into a neckstrap. The rein buckle makes it adjustable. It matches the bridle–because my reins got broken, so I used that broken rein to create a strap.

1 Like

I’ve gotten pretty good at grabbing the yoke of the breastcollar at opportune times but I would like to use a dedicated neck strap.

Have you compared these to the clever with leather ones?

The nunn finer are thinner, and you can adjust them so you can ride with them in your contact if you want. I prefer the NF, BUT I love the clever with leather ones for the look.

This is a new product for Flexible Fit that I’ve had my eye on for a few weeks. Might be an alternative to a traditional neck strap?

1 Like

You mean the NF are longer?

I have a cob, I wonder if the CWL would be similar in the horse size on my ponies plus bonus of matchy matchy.

1 Like

I think so, I added a hole right at the end. I use it as a decide to prevent me from moving my outside hand lol hold it like a double rein.

I have a neck strap from Clever with Leather and I love it. You can get it with an optional strap that connects the neck strap to a D-ring. You can get a plain plain strap in multiple lengths, leathers and metal colors. Or you can get one that’s padded with dozens of color accent options.

I ride with mine every day and show with it even in dressage. It’s not unusual to get nice comments about it. It isn’t the cheapest option, but I don’t mind paying for a quality piece of tack that gets regular use.

https://www.cleverwithleather.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

ETA: I don’t care for pommel straps as they tend to put your hands in a bad place–especially for jumping. I like mine fitted higher on the neck so it’s right there when I need it–which isn’t usually in dressage. :wink: I’ve seen riders at KY3DE using the neck strap literally as a target for their hands during the release over the jump.

ETA II: I do use it low and big on my coming 4 year old who has a humungous trot and isn’t always, shall we say, rhythmic. Nothing like feeling like your going to fall off because your horse slowed down his trot.

9 Likes

You’re lucky you can use it for dressage. I was told a big fat NO here in Ontario :frowning:

First off, you guys look amazing! I have a question though…

Are those Lorenzini stirrups on a western saddle? How the heck did you do that?!

Thanks! They are actually the Jack’s knockoffs. They are fairly flat at the top so I just ran the straps through the stirrups themselves and then wove a brown shoelace through the slot and tied it to the strap so that they can’t slide. I vastly prefer them to the standard Western stirrups. https://www.horseloverz.com/english-horse-tack/stirrups-stirrup-irons/other-stirrups/jacks-aluminum-stirrups-4-34

2 Likes

I use this one from “Clever with Leather” - had it 3 years with my young horse and it’s held up really nicely.

Do you find it too thick to hold along w your reins. Is it long enough to move up the neck or to hold while posting?

No, it’s not designed to be held while actively riding/trotting, it’ smore there as something to grab to regain balance so you’re not grabbing the reins if you get jarred out of balance.

I used it almost exclusively for trail riding and early XC jumping.

If you want something that you can hold while riding, I’d be looking at one of those ‘perfect contact’ straps or a grab strap on the cantle of your saddle.

I have one and I LOVE it. You can keep your hands where they need to be for flatwork while looping a finger through. So happy with it.

Quiet Hands Safety Strap / Connector Bundle – Flexible Fit Equestrian LLC (ffequestrian.com)

2 Likes

Wow – both this one and the Clever With Leather ones are really nice.