Unlimited access >

Neck or grab straps

I do this too – I find that the thinner neckstraps are just SO much more useful because one can use them in this way (stabilize a hand if needed/hold like a second rein as you said). A stirrup leather neckstrap is not so useful for this. I am one of “those people” who ride in a neckstrap all the time – the horse is spooky with a spin, and if daily use is good enough for William Fox-Pitt, it’s good enough for me!

8 Likes

Quiet Hands Safety Strap / Connector Bundle – Flexible Fit Equestrian LLC (ffequestrian.com)
[/quote]

I ordered this one! I thought that it was the best of both worlds.

4 Likes

I second the EquiPrism neck straps, you can get them in your colors, get a name put on them, and they have a strap that you can attach to the saddle so it doesn’t slide way up the neck if you are just standing around and the horse puts its head down (my mare is super downhill so that’s always a concern for me with neck straps). Love mine, I have two in different color combos.

Linda tellington jones makes one -it’s called a balance rein but it’s ( imo) a neck strap. I have started both my young horses with it - still use it for the older mare on hunter paces , and it’s daily gear on the 4 year old. Nice soft material for their neck , the right length and thickness . I def prefer over a stirrup leather !

4 Likes

I ordered this without the little keeper things - it arrived yesterday. Looks like a wonderful tool, I can’t wait to try it out tonight!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m trying to remember to grab it when I’m on the buckle, or when I might be a bit nervous and need help reminding my hands to stay down

2 Likes

I tried the new grab strap thingy with my very scared “lesson” girl last night… I kind of surprised her with the request to canter (I have her ask, while Saint Niko is on the lunge) without switching her grip to the horn of the saddle… and VOILA! She got a canter without death gripping the horn!! What a cool tool!

4 Likes

I find myself grabbing the strap on my saddle that I clip my airvest too when I am on the flat… obviously wont work for jumping but its a suggestion.

I ordered this one! I thought that it was the best of both worlds.
[/quote]

@spacehorse
@enjoytheride

Can you hold your hands in the normal position while holding onto this strap? I would be using for dressage and hacking - no jumping.

I see @spacehorse you say you can loop a finger through - can you elaborate? I am looking for something I could thread through like a regular rein basically.

@Pico_Banana

Yes, your hands are where they would be and I will just hook my pinky through the strap if the horse is feeling spunky :crazy_face: It also does help to steady your hands if you tend to fiddle with the contact.

That is why I like this strap so much. Your hands can be where they should be and the loop is right where your hands should be, in case it gets exciting very quickly, you don’t have to lean forward to grab strap. I already am dealing with fixing my perpetual lean forward, so I really needed a strap that was USEFUL in emergency moments, and kept me from leaning to grab it.

I hold it like I’m holding the reins of a double. Yes, you can hold it with your hands in the normal spot while posting.

1 Like

@spacehorse @enjoytheride You guys are awesome! I am totally going to order this.

Yes, thanks for posting this. The thing I love about it is that the raised strap is ready to grab, no fumbling to get your hands under one that is sitting flat to the neck.

I have what looks like the same thing as Highflyer. I don’t like the strap just around the neck as I have seen them fall to the ears more commonly than what I use and I don’t like them attached to anything on the saddle or neck so I have freedom of movement while jumping.

Once I learned to use it, I use it all the time. I tend to keep my hands level with each other so I can just put one finger in the strap and my free hand will stay down as well. The strap is relatively loose, I can bring it up from my horse’s neck a good inch and it sits just infront of the saddle so no reaching forward to get it. Since it isn’t attached to anything, I can move my hands up to my horse’s ears (if desired) while jumping.

I use it on horses I’m not sure if they are going to bounce around, grab it when jumping or nervous on the trails and fret and pull on that instead of the reins, and it helps me balance (apparently, that’s starting to go) when galloping/conditioning.

I don’t use it while doing dressage as I sit back more and generally don’t have my dressage saddle on the less than sane horses.

I second this! I wonder if Flexible Fit is about to have a run on the strap… I just ordered one because of this thread too.

1 Like

I ordered after seeing your post. I’ve only been using it for about a week but I like it! It’s reassuring to know that it’s right there if I need it. I’ve found it useful as we’re trying to teach my young OTTB about cavaletti too - I can loop a finger through and keep my hands nice and steady even if I get jostled around a bit. He sometimes forgets that he has four legs and that they do all need to be moving at the same time. :joy:

Man I think I deserve a discount or credit from them!

3 Likes

I actually sent them the link to this thread! They owe you!

Here’s a pic of mine in use!

4 Likes

I just ordered two. One for the pony and one for the horse. Who ever shared this totes deserves at least a discount and thank you.

Way classier than my polo neck wrap.